Muffler ideas to quiet generator?

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #1  

RanchMan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4110
I've seen a few posts where folks complained about the volume their generator puts out and I'm in the same boat. I also saw where some folks considered putting a motorcycle or even auto muffler on them, but never saw any posts if they went through with this or how it worked out.

I have a generator that uses a 10hp Tecumseh (HM100) engine and so far the only "bolt-on" option I've seen costs about $60 (Tecumseh part #37350).

My questions are:

1) has anyone cobbled together their own solution - and if so - what did they use/how well did it work? and;

2) does anyone have any "bolt on" solutions that cost less than the $60 one I found (better price, different product, etc.)?

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #2  
I just bought a small generator about 2 months ago. Like other have said, it is loud. I have thought about taking the muffler off of the engine and taking it to a muffler shop and having a small (quite) car muffler put on the flange.

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #3  
If its a pretty stationary generator run a metal flex hoze from the muffler into several metal barrels that are connected in series. Might quite things down a lot.

Egon

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #4  
I do it a lot, anything up to about 12 hp will quiet down nice with a small resonator type muffler from a car. Beyond that, you want to go with a muffler from a 4 cylinder or larger car.
Most generators I encounter have 1"npt pile leaving the engine. If there is a good muffler there, we can remove, we take it off for use on something else and replace with a short 1" nipple. From the nipple, we use automotive exhaust pipe to the muffler. Since I have a buddy with a tailpipe machine, bends, expansions and constrictions are never a problem.
Clamp the exhaust tube around the pipe nipple with a U bolt type muffler clamp.
MOST IMPORTANT, never constrict the exhaust below the inside diameter of the pipe leaving the engine.
With bad or rusty mufflers, we just cut them off and slip an exhaust tube over the stem pipe.
Also IMPORTANT, pay attention to how the engine is mounted for vibration. When the engine itself is rubber mounted, make sure the muffler is mounted to the engine, and not the machine frame to prevent vibration damage to the exhaust port.
I also recommend if the nipple is replaced into the engine, apply a coat of Never Seize when installing the new nipple.

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #5  
Here is an image of what Onan used for an RV genset muffler. This is a 4 KW generator liberated from a motorhome, probably smaller than your 10HP. The muffler is 4 1/2" in diameter and 18" long. It is reasonably quiet.
Like Franz said if you hook up to the engine exhaust with some pipe care should be taken to limit vibration from wallowing out the threads in the Tecumseh aluminum block.
A few years back I helped build a dredge that had an 8 hp Tecumseh to power the winch. We used an old auto muffler on it with a piece of flex pipe to connect. It did help.
For some reason I've lost my registration here. Used to be wallysue.

Attachments

• 233566-onan3s.jpg
    233566-onan3s.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 9,979
   / Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #6  
For less than $20 I installed a 1" pipe nipple, a couple of 45 elbows and a Cub Cadet muffler, (fit perfectly on 1" pipe). I also angled the muffler away from the gen. This setup dramatically reduced the noise. 100's of hours of use without a problem.

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #7  
Are you using the generator in a stationary location?

I think I remember reading where some people have connected a flex line from the exhaust to an underground pipe & discharge the exhaust somewhere in the distance in order to get extra quiet operation.

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #8  
I'd check out Ebay and see if you can find a "genset" muffler from a motorhome, as was suggested. There are pretty strict regulations in national parks and many campgrounds and the motorhome genset manufacturers (Onan, Tecumseh, etc) sell "silencers." I saw a great big one for an Onan on Ebay yesterday. I think it was still under $50. Good luck

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #9  
You have a problem. I replaced the muffler on my Tecumseh powered log splitter, HM90, last year. There's not much on the market. I thought of doing like all the posts suggest, but Tecumseh does not have a threaded outlet on the exhaust. just a flat gasketed surface that has two approx 1/4"-20 bolts holding the muffler on. I had to go to an aftermarket muffler that looks like a lawn tractor size unit, but it did make quite a difference. Pretty sure this is the one I bought. See: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/tquiet_muffler.cfm

/ Muffler ideas to quiet generator? #10  
<font color="blue"> I'd check out Ebay and see if you can find a "genset" muffler from a motorhome </font>
Actually, I'm looking for a muffler to replace the one on my Kohler genset on my motorhome ... it's so loud, I can't hear the TV in side the motorhome (so I'm more than loath to even start it in a campground!)