Any Subaru owners?

/ Any Subaru owners? #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
Just like to hear from you on your experiance.

A lady I know has a 2001 forester L model for sale for $4300. I think I could get it for less, or for some barter on home repairs. It's a standard, very clean and tight. only 76,000 miles with a new clutch and some other work done, she has some receipts and one says something about changing axles?

She even has an extended warranty to Dec. 2012. not sure how legit it is but she showed me some paper work.

At first I thought I don't want to go backwards and get a standard, but it is actually fun to drive, and I was surprised at how quick it is even with the ac on.

This would be a 2nd family car, that would be shared with 3-4 drivers. We have a 99 grand caravan that I would replace with the subaru, since no one wants to drive the minivan, it was great with 3 little kids, but apparently not cool now.

I figure if I sell the van, for little additional money I can get a 2 year newer AWD vehicle with 60,000 less miles and get 2 times the MPG.
According to the teen drivers, the forester is not cool either but I'd rather buzz around town doing errands with it instead of the mom van.

JB

Attachments

• 0607111247.jpg
    0607111247.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 0607111249.jpg
    0607111249.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 183
   / Any Subaru owners? #2  
Not only do I own one, I am a Subaru tech. The biggest issue with subies are the head gasket leaks; so look under it (especially the drivers side)
If you are a mechanical guy, the head gasket is not a difficult job. Around Oregon a car of that milage/year would be much higher in price.

/ Any Subaru owners? #3  
Subarus are great. They will go for lots of miles and awd is nice. Like the above post says, check for an oil leak from the head gasket. Our 2003 legacy just got a new head gasket seal at 150,000 miles... Pricy repair, but have not had a car payment since 2008. We are wanting to get another 50K to 100k out of her.

/ Any Subaru owners?
So these 2.5 liter engines are still the same today? the basic engine that is, I'm sure there are all kinds of improvements.

She did say the The mil light was coming on sometimes and was told she needs an oxygen sensor. the light didn't come on the 2 times I drove the car.

So the L model is the basic drum brakes in rear and steel 15 inch wheels?

The S is a little better?

I think the price is decent and I'm kinda dragging my feet cause I don't need it right this minute. but you now when I decide I want it, she'll have it sold :mad:

I and my helper are pretty mechanically inclined, so if you say the head gasket is doable, we should be OK. Any certain mileage that shows up? also is O2 sensor a major issue?

Thanks jb.

/ Any Subaru owners? #5  
I have had several Subarus over the years, and I liked them. I have very little issues with engines, but some with tranny's, but both instances, one on a manual, and one on a automatic, were flukes. I like them overall, and they are hard to beat in many respects.

I really liked the older ones with the hi/lo lever for the tranny. I wish my Subaru Baja had the hi/lo. It has enough power to not need it on fwd gears, but reverse is a bit high for backing a trailer, so I struggle with that some.

I would not be afraid of that car.

/ Any Subaru owners? #6  
I am a Subaru fan...on our third.Have a 2010 Outback with the CVT and a 2001 Legacy wagon with 77,000 miles.Traded a 2008 Outback for the 2010.
They are about bullet proof..that Forester is low miles for the year.

/ Any Subaru owners? #7  
I would have the cel light read; don't trust what is said. a p0420 could be a o2 sensor, or may be a cat converter. Do you have emissions testing in your area? Are you a rust/salt area? Also notable is wheel bearing issues; specifically rear. on the test drive pay attention for abnormal noise/growling from them.
You NEED to look under it. head gaskets can leak coolant, oil or both. the crossmember will be very wet. But the oil could also be valve cover gaskets.
I would find a independent subie shop do a insp.

/ Any Subaru owners? #8  
Also have a Subaru...Outback in my case. Very nice cars and would do well in Connecticut with the all-wheel drive.
I also suggest having it checked out by a mechanic familar with Subie's, but they do have an excellent reputation for reliability/durability.

BTW, if you drive this car first thing in the morning, you may hear what seems to be a valve tapping. It's not...and it's the pistons slapping...read this: Subaru Noises.

My wife drives the car more then I do (I drive a pickup), but when it comes time to replace the Suby, I'll buy another one.

/ Any Subaru owners?
I don't see alot of used ones for sale, so I know they have a faithful following. My brother has owned them for 30 years now. He had one of the first wagons way back when they were cheap a dirt.
He lives in Vermont and has his loaded with tools, he drives them into the ground before replacing them. he's also a mechanic so he gets the most out of them.

I was pushing my wife to get a new forester, they are not cheap now, $30,000. for the way I equipped it on line. But she's happy driving my grand Cherokee that I found with low miles. I know if I get the Subaru someone else in the family is gonna take that over next :( And I'll be stuck driving my 12,000 pound utility body truck on my free time.

JB.

/ Any Subaru owners? #10  
Personally, I'm not a fan of the Subaru boxer engines. They are prone to head gasket problems, typically leak or burn oil regularly after 100k, shake like a washer machine at idle, and are a pain to work on. Just replacing the spark plugs requires removing the front wheels or 3 different swivel sockets. Also, you will need to change the timing belt and water pump at 100k which is a pain or about $800 at a shop. For some reason, the 2.0l Impreza engines don't seem as prone to head problems as the 2.5l.

The rest of the car is very good with a decent transmission auto or manual and a bullet-proof AWD system that works very well. If you need AWD then this is a good choice but if not, there are plenty of other options.