Sciatica

/ Sciatica #12  
I had/have spinal arthritis, and degenerative disc disease. I suffered what you described for about 20 years, from 38 to 58. It got to the point where the cortisone, PT, chiro, etc., was no longer working in the summer of 2009. I had L4 and L5 fused to S1 in September of that year. I was up and walking with a walker the next day. Two weeks later walking with no walker. Two months later able to do light chores. Six months later pretty much up to speed. I have some residual leg/foot numbness from nerve damage, but am able to function pretty much as expected for a 60 year old man. I take tramadol (one tab) and meloxicam (NSAID) daily which relieves most of the nerve pain most of the time. I once in a while have "restless legs" at night which inhibits sleep for which I take one vicodin. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Before I couldn't walk, now I walk my dog two miles daily. The key to recovery is doing core exercises because the surgery is **** on your core muscles. I went to PT for 8 weeks after the surgery, then employed a trainer for another couple of months to lead me through spine neutral core exercises. I learned a great many excellent exercises using a "Smith" bench machine in unorthodox ways.

/ Sciatica #13  
I've suffered through a few back issues over the years. But last summer I really had some problems and was basically in pain 24/7 and on the sidelines. Couldnt really DO anything. Disgusting.

After a few attempts with a Chriopracter and the leg pain increasing.....my MD referred me to a speciaty clinic for back and spine connected with a large, statewide hospital system. Those guys have all the right techniques and personel to do a variety of diagnosis and treadment.

After spending some time to get a proper diagnosis....I had surgury to remove part of a disc. I got IMMEDIATE relief from the debilitating pain.....and after several weeks of taking it easy I am pretty much like new.

I still have a very slight "tingle" in my thigh muscle.....but it's ever so little of a reminder of the pain I felt for quite a while.

I'm hoping I am "cured"....but I also have another bulged disc that could come into play some day. I try to lay-off the heavy lifting of time gone by. ;)

Hope your treatment is successful. I'm pretty sure life doesnt get any easier with time. Kinda like a football player...I've been "learning to play hurt". Someday's it aint easy. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

/ Sciatica
Thanks for all the great info and support guys!!! I'm feeling much more comfortable with this learning all of your experiences. And thanks for the birthday wishes, Egon!!!

The surgeon's office called late this afternoon, and my wife spoke to them, as I was still at work. The surgeon wants to see me ASAP. That doesn't sound like it's good news, as he's now read my MRI and my pain management doctor's report. So I have an appointment Wednesday morning at 9 AM. I'll have an update after that. I'm guessing I won't be able to wait until the fall, but I have a back-up plan. My niece is starting grad school at the end of August, and she offered to quit her current job early and move in with us for July and August to handle my farm chores while I'm down and out. If I have to have the surgery soon, maybe by September, I'll be able to at least do some of my chores again. She's a great kid, and I know she can handle everything. And she's wanted to learn about running my farm for years, so maybe this will work out.

/ Sciatica
Well, I'm just back from my last pre-surgical doctor's appointment. I have my spinal fusion (laminectomy) surgery on Friday. They make you have blood tests, heart tests, poke you, stick you and all sorts of nasty stuff before they cut you open and do more nasty stuff. I'm hoping it's all worth it. The worst is yet to come, but my surgeon (and the rest of the docs) say I should make a 100% recovery and be back to my farm work in 3 - 6 months. And if I'm lucky, I can go back to my day job in 2 - 4 weeks. They also told me that the first 24 hours after surgery will be painful and I'll be in intensive care. They hope to have me back home on Monday, so I'll only be in the hospital for 4 days. I'll let everyone know how I'm doing when it's all over.

Thanks for all your support!!!

/ Sciatica #17  
Good luck, Rich. And we'll be looking forward to a progress report.

/ Sciatica #19  
Had c 6 ( neck) fused about 10 yrs ago. A little stiffness from time to time ( It tends to be worse in cold weather) but,it was worth it not to have the pain.

Hang in there. & good luck:thumbsup:

/ Sciatica #20  
My wife is going to have the surgery done in mid-August. I must say that I feel a lot of anxiety about the surgery. Maybe more than she. But, I see every day the pain she endures and for her there is not much choice if you want to have a life.

I am nervously watching this thread quite closely...