Sciatica

/ Sciatica #23  
Rich, good luck sir on your upcoming surgery. I hope it goes well!! You are going to be sore as all get out!! My story on this is 25 years ago I was shot in the back in the L4-L5 area, in an aggrevated armed robbery, and left for dead. I forgot to add that the first time the a-hole fired , or tried to fire the gun it was point blank at my chest, luckily for me it misfired!!I was in intensive care for 22 days, flat on my back. Everything in my body shut down. I didn't poop for 2 1/2 weeks!! To this day, I have very little feeling in my left leg, from the nerve damage. I can place a hot cup of coffee on my thigh or calf and not feel it. The doctor wanted to implant a tens unit in my back for pain, and I said no. I'm in pain everyday, but I manage it, even now I rarely take an aspirin. Chiro's have helped, they have to be careful of the srapnel, the size of a softball that's still in me. I just thought I'd share a spine story. There's thousands out there.

/ Sciatica #24  
The doctor wanted to implant a tens unit in my back for pain, and I said no.

Not sure I would want the tens unit implanted in me either. :eek: We do use regular tens units and they do work.

We have used it for back and neck pain. The wifey just had shoulder surgery and we are using it to control pain.

Later,
Dan

/ Sciatica
Thanks for the support, guys. They're going to try to have me home from the hospital on Monday, so I'll post about my experience early next week. I wish it was early next week already, I'm not looking forward to this. But I am looking forward to not having pain anymore, so it'll be worth it.

/ Sciatica #26  
I had carpal tunnel in each wrist, plantar fasceitis(sp?) in my heal, positional vertigo and sciatica.

Sounds just like me and had ingrowing toe nails as well.
The back pain I can handle its having to sit on one butt cheek including when you are driving really gets me down.
Can no longer drive for anything more that 20 or 30 mins.....Can't travel by plane...can't sit in those narrow seats for any length of time.
Done the phsio/chiro/bowen thing all with very little result so know where your at.
Best wishes for your surgery Rich from down under hope it all works out great for you and you finish up running around the farm like a spring chicken

best regards

/ Sciatica #27  
Can't help with back problems but I was curious if you had looked at switching to raising goats for meat? It is pretty popular in some cultures to eat goat meat :licking:. Given that you took to naming all your goats maybe not ;) I have also seen a few articles about people using goats for 'organic' weed control.

/ Sciatica #28  
Wishing you good luck in what ever decision you make about back surgery. I am a success story. In 1971, after falling down a silo chute, I was diagnosed with a "slipped disc". My father-in law was a doctor and referred me to a top notch surgeon. I have 4 vertabrae fused together now. I was flat on my back in the hospital for 3 weeks. Long story short, I'm now 63 and I milked cows for 20 years, drove truck and ran a feed store. They don't do my surgery anymore but I hope you have an excellent result with whatever you do.:thumbsup:

/ Sciatica
Thanks for all the suport, guys!!!

Charlz, you guessed it. We can't sell animals that we raise for meat.

I gotta be at the hospital at 5:45 AM tomorrow morning for my surgery. I'll post next week, when I'm back home.

Thanks again for all the support!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Sciatica
Well, I'm back for the hosptial,and it wasn't good time, Forgive the typos, I'm on several types of STRONG pain med. plus valium. The surgery was a sucess, but I have a long recovery. if i hadn't hadn't have had the surgery, I surely would have ended up in a wheelchair, They removed the bad disc, replaced it with bone from my back encased in titanium and held together with titianum rods. They get you up in phyiscal therapy and I've done pretty well. I'm using a cane now, after using a walker for a while. They manage the pain, but the valium throws you for a loop, (can you tell?) but beleive me, you need it. i'm very motivated, the surrgeon feels I'll make a 100% recovery. but it's gonna take time. 3 months to a year.

When they brought me to the ICU after the surgery I was really out if it, I was telling the staff to get out of my barn so I coud feed the animals. It's been rough, very rough, but I think I'll be ok in not too long, if I hadn't have had this done, I don't think I'd be able to do anything but sit in a wheel chair, Not all sciatica is as bad as mine, but it can be.

Ill keep posting updates, hoepfully they''ll be more coherent, But I know at least one member (redbone?) was expecting his wife fo to thru this. I'll be happy to give e mail info possible to help. My e-mail address is goatfarmerguy@earthinlink.net.

I'll get more coherent as time goes on,, I had to take quite a bit of valium today, it shows just a little, I realize. but this is serous stuff, and if I can help one person thru this I"ll be happy.

Again, thanks for all your support.