Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. #31
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    1,521
    Location
    North Central Arkansas
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

    Default Re: Automobile Dealer Service Departments -

    Quote Originally Posted by ray66v View Post
    Just so you know Ken, a dealer ship is the boat the owner bought with the money he made at his dealership.
    I agree also a working man should be paid for his labor.
    24% tax Workman comp.
    15.3 FICA
    15.1 or more on Fed. income tax.
    10% Ark income tax
    Eat drink and be merry enjoy what is left.
    ken
    Last edited by Ken; 08-02-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: add note

  2. #32
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,867
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    GC2310,

    Default Re: Automobile Dealer Service Departments -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I agree also a working man should be paid for his labor.
    24% tax Workman comp.
    15.3 FICA
    15.1 or more on Fed. income tax.
    10% Ark income tax
    Eat drink and be merry enjoy what is left.
    ken
    I don't have any problem with people making money.

    This is Wayne Huizenga's dealer ship, he owns Auto Nation, among others. I saw it up close in Newport RI, about 10 years ago. Yeah, that's a helicopter on the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -yacht-jpg  

  3. #33
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    8,384
    Location
    Central Michigan
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

    Default Re: Automobile Dealer Service Departments -

    I have several cousins in mid-Michigan, one of them is on public assistance, and going to school, while she lives in a run down shack worth maybe $20,000 at most. And I have another cousin, who is a multi-millionaire who owns a 7,000 square foot mansion on 120 acres, he and his father started a small business back in 1965.

    I don't have any problem with people making money either, as long as they earn it by hard work and being honest. What saddens me, is that my cousin collecting public assistance never learned the value of hard work and honesty like my wealthy cousin did.

  4. #34
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    223
    Location
    Lake Anna, Virginia
    Tractor
    John Deere 855

    Default Re: Automobile Dealer Service Departments -

    Sure, there are good and bad dealerships and the factory service department should have the latest and greatest in training, service bulletins, etc.

    My experience at the dealer:

    They had their own service schedule that required sevice events more often and more extensively than the factory schedule. When I pointed this out to them they said they knew it and that their schedule was "better". Their charge for parts was above the listed retail price that I determined for the factory parts from the internet. When I called them on this, they said it is due to a premium that is charged in our high cost area and is what the market will bear. After some discussion, they did reduce their parts cost to "retail".

    They want to replace parts that are still serviceable. When working on a system they want to replace everything rather than checking for serviceability or wear tolerances, an example being the $550 per axle brake job.

    Rather than a mutually beneficial transaction, it's dealer 10, customer 0.

    This is a multi-location large regional dealership that I won't be patronizing again!
    Dennis
    JD-855 MFWD
    JD-52 FEL
    Woods 6' Rear Blade
    Woods 5' Brush Cutter+
    Cub Cadet 2166

  5. #35
    Super Star Member brin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,866
    Location
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

    Default Re: Automobile Dealer Service Departments -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennisfly View Post
    Sure, there are good and bad dealerships and the factory service department should have the latest and greatest in training, service bulletins, etc.

    My experience at the dealer:

    They had their own service schedule that required sevice events more often and more extensively than the factory schedule. When I pointed this out to them they said they knew it and that their schedule was "better". Their charge for parts was above the listed retail price that I determined for the factory parts from the internet. When I called them on this, they said it is due to a premium that is charged in our high cost area and is what the market will bear. After some discussion, they did reduce their parts cost to "retail".

    They want to replace parts that are still serviceable. When working on a system they want to replace everything rather than checking for serviceability or wear tolerances, an example being the $550 per axle brake job.

    Rather than a mutually beneficial transaction, it's dealer 10, customer 0.

    This is a multi-location large regional dealership that I won't be patronizing again!
    You really nailed it here ! I have run into this before...where the dealer replaced my AC compressor for $500 and then I went on vacation and the AC went out and another dealer found the real problem and that was I cannot remember but it was only $200 and never had a problem sense..Either the first dealer did not know what he was doing or he just guessed...So I do believe some dealers just start adding parts until the problem stops at that point ....and we are left with the result ..There was no way for me to go back to the other dealer since my old compressor was long gone..they should be forced to give us all the old parts like they did in the old days...I am going to insist on that from now on.
    Bob

    WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.


    NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

  6. #36
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,867
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    GC2310,

    Default Re: Automobile Dealer Service Departments -

    Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    So I do believe some dealers just start adding parts until the problem stops at that point ....and we are left with the result ..
    Sure, but do you think the dealers are the only ones who do this?

    In fact, since they see primarily the same vehicles, dealers sometimes know better what the problem is, because they have already had several vehicles in the shop with the same issue, or a factory service bulletin warning them of the problem.

    And, not all repairs are a matter of science, sometimes there is no way to know for sure what is causing a problem, without throwing parts at it.

    Ask you doctor how many times a day he has to make a guess what is wrong with someone, and treat them, before finding out for sure.

    It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and say someone made a bad decision, but I wouldn't be to anxious to do so, unless I knew for sure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Getting upset with dealer service
    By deere755 in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM
  2. Price Check BX24 or BX2350 Pricing??
    By crabjoe in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
  3. Service bulletins- Does your dealer share them with you?
    By Slacker in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 12:14 PM
  4. Dealer Service after buying from distant dealer
    By Anonymous Poster in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-27-2000, 01:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.