Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Re: Looking for a good 9mm

IMHO, if you can swing it, I'd get 2 pistols. A Glock of your choice in 9mm and either a S&W 617 (.22 cal.) or Ruger Mark II/III (also .22 cal.). The S&W being considered safer as it is a revolver and either .22 cal. will be far cheaper to shoot. Your daughter will become adept far quicker with the rimfire and I expect you'll enjoy the .22 also. The less recoil and noise you can have for a beginning shooter, more attention they can pay to the instructions and primary techniques.
    "Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable." CS Lewis

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Also that .22 allows for that practice, practice practice thing! Think about the money, you need to fire thousands or even 10's of thousands of rounds to be a good shooter (at least for most people). The .22 will let you do that level of practice. I have a Glock 19 and Kahr 9MM in both the all steel and polymer framed. All good and there are plenty more good compact pistol's out there. But a good .22 will round out the shooter faster and have lots of fun doing it.!

James K0UA
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

Look at a sig 239, my carry is .40. I also have a sig 226 larger and has the .22 attchment. Very nice guns.

Tractor
    Ford 1700

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    As far as 9mm autos go my friends tell me the Glock "C" models are the way to go. These have ported barrels, are lightweight, and very controllable. Although I have not shot one I am told they are very sweet shooting pistols.
    The Glock 19C is a GREAT, light weight, fun shooting handgun! My wife loves shooting it, and she can easily carry it......
    Michael

Ford 1700 , 60" bush hog, 60" Woods blade

Tractor
    Kioti CK4010 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Steve HEF View Post
    Can I ask what prompted you to choose 9mm? If you plan only to carry on your property, is concealment necessary? The purpose of the weapon? Just asking so I can offer my opinion.
    One of the primary reasons was availability/economy of 9mm ammo. I have begun shooting with a couple of buddies at the range and 9mm gives, in my opinion, the best all around value with adequate stopping power (with the right load).
    Bobcat CT225

...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

I carry a Glock 19C...sweet shooting handgun. Very reliable and very easy to take down for cleaning.
    Glocks don't have external safeties (which I prefer), but if the OP is a novice, that is something to consider.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 4WD

I have a Glock 19, 22, and 26. I carry the model 26 for conceal. It is called the "baby Glock".

Tractor
    Hopefully Kubota BX

+1 on the Glock.

You probably couldn't go wrong with a SigSauer, Glock, or Baretta. Probably personal preference more than anything. I've always preferred revolvers, but the Dallas Police Department now issues Sig P226 and they have quite a list of "acceptable" guns that current and retired officers are permitted to qualify with. I have the Sig P229DAK that I like to shoot for target practice and annual qualifying, but it's a little large for carrying; won't fit in my pocket, so I still carry my S&W Chief .38. But for what you're asking, I think the Sig P239 mentioned above would be a good choice.
    Bird

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

My Pocket 9 is a Keltec, one of the safest to carry on the market..11 rounds, never fails to fire, won't fire if you drop it out of a coat pocket. If I Knew I was going to a gun fight of course I would carry bigger, but a 9 is deadly. You just cannot pick your day to be robbed, so...
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast