Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Looking for a good 9mm

I'm in the market for a small or medium framed 9mm for concealed carry. What do you guys recommend..

Not exactly a newbie to guns, qualified on the Beretta M9 in the Air Force, but just an occasional shooter.

Also, my 16 year-old daughter wants to learn to shoot so I don't want anything that is gonna tear her up...

thanks for the advice!
    Bobcat CT225

...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Default Re: Looking for a good 9mm

As far as 9mm autos go my friends tell me the Glock "C" models are the way to go. These have ported barrels, are lightweight, and very controllable. Although I have not shot one I am told they are very sweet shooting pistols.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Tractor
    2011 B3030HSDC - Traded 2008 BX24 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregfender View Post
    I'm in the market for a small or medium framed 9mm for concealed carry. What do you guys recommend..

Not exactly a newbie to guns, qualified on the Beretta M9 in the Air Force, but just an occasional shooter.

Also, my 16 year-old daughter wants to learn to shoot so I don't want anything that is gonna tear her up...

thanks for the advice!
    The easy part is determining what firearm to buy. But there are other things to consider prior to putting the money on the counter at the local gunshop.

The primary consideration for whatever weapon you finally choose, is to be prepared to practice, practice and practice some more. If you truly feel the need exists for you to carry a concealed weapon, then you are also responsible for the bullet that would leave the barrel and whatever outcome results. Practice will enhance your skills and entrench your obligations to responsible ownership.

There are numerous threads on firearms and firearm ownership, but lawful ownership in itself demands accountability, which requires responsible action on the part of the owner. That ownership will include proper and thorough instruction of your daughter in proper gun handling and ownership/usage.

I'd suggest you talk to the instructors at your Air Force base, and seek their guidance in picking out a pistol for your needs. More often then not, the one you are most familiar with may in fact be the best weapon for your needs, on a variety of levels.

Like tractors, not every pistol fulfills the needs for a given task. An alloy framed snubby revolver may prove more benefical overall, in weight, simplicity and concealment. If you are of smaller stature, this may be a benefit...on the other hand, I've met guys with hands that could conceal a small revolver or pistol.

You have provided few particulars to provide any good advice. The only constant in ownership and concealed carry is as stated above...otherwise it is a wide open field without specifics.

Seek good advice and good luck in your quest.
    2008 - 2011 BX24 with 9" auger, back blade and post driver (traded BX24)
    2011 - 2013 B3030HSDC with q/a FEL; 3pt snowblower; ballast box; 9" auger; back blade (sold B3030HSDC)
    2014 - shopping again

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    BX 22

I doubt a Glock C model would make a good concealed carry.

I reccommend a Glock 19 or Smith and Wesson MP model.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

The instances I carry will be rare. I just don't want any thing large frame. I will certainly carry when on the property, but not much else.
    Bobcat CT225

...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Two weeks ago I shot several rounds through a 9mm Smith and Wesson M&P Compact that a friend brought out to my rifle range. At first sight I thought this pistol was too small in the hand and it to be uncontrollable. Not the case. This was a very accurate and a pleasant gun to shoot. The compacts they make these days are a far cry from the autos made just a few years ago.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by gregfender View Post
    The instances I carry will be rare. I just don't want any thing large frame. I will certainly carry when on the property, but not much else.
    Look at the Kimber Ultra Carry Series and Super Carry Series. That's what I am saving for.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

a friend of mine just bought a Kahr PM-9, he really likes it and says it's easy to carry. He's a medium frame about 165lbs and 5' 10" or so
    I haven't shot it yet though so can't comment on my personal opinion.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2007 kioti ck 25/130 loader and D-17 allis-Chalmers

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    a friend of mine just bought a Kahr PM-9, he really likes it and says it's easy to carry. He's a medium frame about 165lbs and 5' 10" or so
    I haven't shot it yet though so can't comment on my personal opinion.
    I can add that i gave a kahr pm-9 to my son this spring.After over 300 rounds fired through it flawlessly we are impressed.His girlfriend likes how confortable it feels and so accurate with her small hands. We have a Kimber ultra carry in 45 and Glocks in 9mm and 45 in both compact and large frame.As others said earlier all are excellent and we like them all, but the Kahr will fit a womens hand nicely from our experience. I am not wanting to argue the whats best , just trying to help. As always try different brands and buy a good quality weapon. Good Luck and have safe fun teaching her.

Tractor
    New Holland 3930, New Holland 2910, Ford 445

Can I ask what prompted you to choose 9mm? If you plan only to carry on your property, is concealment necessary? The purpose of the weapon? Just asking so I can offer my opinion.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast