Small woodstove for a bedroom

/ Small woodstove for a bedroom #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
In my continuing quest to use the TBN braintrust to help me make decisions on my wife's and my future, here's a question about woodstoves. Since we decided not to move, we need to replace one of our woodstoves.

We completely heat out house with wood. We do have an oil burner but we haven't used it in years. When we bought our house, it had a woodstove in the midddle of the house, and it heated the house pretty well, but it was an old woodstove, pretty beat up, and not too efficient. We replaced it with a Regency woodstove (forget the model) and we've been very happpy with it. However, our bedroom is on the first floor and in the back of the house, and didn't get much of the heat, so we put a small woodstove in just for the bedroom. We fire it up about an hour before we go to bed, and by the time it burns out, and the room is cooling off, we're up and really don't go back until the bedroom until evening again. We wanted as small of a woodstove as we could for this roughly 400 square foot bedroom. We bought it at the same place as we got the Regency, but they recommended a Dutch West stove because it was small and less expensive, since it wouldn't be running all day like our big Regency. Well, this Dutch West stove has left a lot to be desired. The damper stopped working after about a year, and when the store we bought it from and had it installed by, came to repair it, they then announced it wasn't covered by warranty as they originally thought. After a lot of arguing, we split the cost of the repair. Last winter something got clogged up in the stove again, and our bedroom filled with smoke, though the chimney is clear. I just don't want this stove in my house anymore. I'll deal with fighting with the stove store another time (we even bought a rather expensive wood burning cookstove from them, and this is how they treat us after buying 3 stoves from them!!!), but right now, I'm asking for any suggestions for a small, safe and efficient woodstove. As I stated, it's just gonnna be used to heat one room. I'm not interested in a pellet stove, I can get cords of wood for a pretty good price, and when my back heals, I have plenty of wood on my farm to supplement the cords that I buy. I just want this Dutch West stove out of my house, and a nice small efficient stove that I can trust in my bedrooom. So please suggest a stove for me.

Most big pruchases we make come from recommendations from my buddies at TBN, so thanks for any suggestions!!!

/ Small woodstove for a bedroom #2  
Rich, my mom had a similar problem as you. Wanted a "good" wood stove for her bedroom in her new house. She bought a stove originally designed for boats. (step dad's idea, I would have never thought about it)

Check this link, it looks allot like the one she had, and brother they keep heat awhile. Scroll down for photos, there are NICE.

Stove History

/ Small woodstove for a bedroom
Thanks for the responses. Interestingly, I spent several hours searching for small stoves for this purpose on the net, and the Jotul 602 CB comes up on top on every source I look at. There are a couple of dealers who sell Jotuls in this area, so my wife and I will check them out tomorrow, if we can. If not, we will Tuesday.

/ Small woodstove for a bedroom #5  
Thanks for the responses. Interestingly, I spent several hours searching for small stoves for this purpose on the net, and the Jotul 602 CB comes up on top on every source I look at. There are a couple of dealers who sell Jotuls in this area, so my wife and I will check them out tomorrow, if we can. If not, we will Tuesday.

The Dutch West stove you had and didn't like at all, was that a Vermont Castings Aspen model? Those are nice looking little stoves.

Vermont Castings used to be really good stoves back in the 1980's, but I think they got off track, had some financial issues and such.

I know Vermont Castings and Dutch West are combined in some way for the past 10-12 years or so.
Dave.

/ Small woodstove for a bedroom #6  
We just got a jotul lp stove, great little number. Heavy too.

/ Small woodstove for a bedroom
Dave, the way the store I bought the stoves explained it to me, is that Vermont Castings bought out Dutch West, and it's now Vermont Castings economy line. But that store wasn't truthful on lots of things, as it turned out, so I don't know if that's true.

The stove that I've had trouble with is a Dutch West, I don't remember the model, and due to the fact that I'm recovering from back surgery, I can't check it out to find what the model is. The best I can say is that I'm not very happpy with it.

/ Small woodstove for a bedroom #8  
We have 5 wood stoves on our property from three different manufacturers. Far and away the best is a Danish made stove, the Scan Andersen 10 which is our living area stove. We also have two from Pacific Energy which heat my workshop and my office and 2 Vermont Castings stoves in our guest cottage. Scan make 2 smaller versions, the Andersen 8-2 and the Andersen 4-5. They're available with soapstone sides and top as an option.