Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #91  
Back in 1975, I lusted for a new Corvette, but was only making $4 an hour so I was driving a Nova instead. Back in '88, I moved to the country, had been saving money for a Vette but found myself with several acres to mow, so the savings went for a Deere 318 instead.

In late 2002, I took early retirement from my job, and had a nice cash payout that I thought about putting down on that dream car...but I looked at my property, and my aging 318, and decided to buy my new CUT instead.

When I wanted a sports car, I couldn't afford one. My tractor is long since paid for, as is our house, and I could easily afford my dream Corvette now. But the truth is, I don't really WANT one anymore.

Story of my life, I guess. This is funny though, my younger brother has owned three Corvettes, a '65 396 roadster, a '74 coupe, and now has an '80 coupe. Cannot really understand owning a car that sits in the garage 10 months of the year.

Exactly why I have a Cadillac. Now a CTSV would be nice but living in Michigan and retired like you, I can't afford the insurance let alone the asking price. My friend has a 67 Vette with a 504 crate motor and a Tremag 5 speed (lives in Ohip were gas and insurance is cheaper) and told me he went to a Corvette Rally and there was a little old lady there with a CTSV that took the RWHP trophy. I want one.

My grey haired wife don't take any guff at the stoplight with the Seville. She's not immune to lighting the tires.....

Of course today, kids don't drive muscle cars. They have Honda's with loud mufflers. Sound like bumblebees.,

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #92  
Collector car insurance is relatively cheap but mileage is limited to 2500 per year. I only pay about 175 a year.

The newer cars all have come a long way for suspension compared to years gone by.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #93  
N80 said:
I guess I just don't have enough experience to know what you mean. I can understand numb steering, oversteer, understeer, mushy brakes, sloppy suspension and all that. But if you can get in a car, whatever it is, and it performs really...really.... well, I'm not sure what the value is to that 'feel' unless it is fun or nostalgia. I'm not knocking it, I think I'd prefer the more 'involved' vehicle as well, but it seems like more of a sentimental thing that a true performance thing. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud and don't really know what I'm talking about.......but I have watched a LOT of Top Gear!:D

Hmmmm. Hard to explain. Let me try this: your brake pedal should be firm and have good feedback. The GT-R's pedal is firm, not mushy, but still has almost no feedback feel. They're over boosted. Maybe it's just a strong return spring that gives the pedal the firm feel? I don't know.
And yes you're right, desiring one's car to have the feeling is just about the fun. I don't know any track junkies who only do it for lap times. I suspect you would have to be competing for a purse if laptimes are your one and only consideration. Otherwise why would you be in a production car at a non-competitive track day event at all? The answer is FUN!

Between sessions we aren't taking about lap times. We're talking about the tricky little nuance of getting through a particular turn at just the right slip angle controlled by little throttle corrections despite that bump on the line. The only thing a GT-R's driver will understand is that he went through the turn. Sure he was smokin fast. But he doesn't know why. I think a big part of the fun is the challenge of getting it just right. The GT-R almost serves it up to you. Let's face it, it's a huge fat pig of a car. It would take a guy named Mario to hustle it around that fast if the computer wasn't helping.

It's an amazingly fast bit of kit to be sure, but so is a refrigerator if you strap 400hp on it.

Last edited:
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #94  
Had a friend who owned a 2002, he said the only way you could keep rust from starting was to buy one new and never drive it, just store it in a climate controlled garage and it would be fine. And he lived outside of the rust belt.

I've got a 76 with a straight body... paint is even OK... interior is shot.

Drives well and was always garaged until 2 years ago...

SNAFU with the DMV... they want 5 years of back tags even though the car has been in storage...

I would gladly send it your way for a small fee...

PS... I'm in California.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #95  
I spent many of my early years racing Alfa Romeo's. Over the years between race cars and street cars as well as parts cars I've had over 15 Alfa's. I gave up racing when I was doing over 140 on the back stright at Watkins Glen on a nice fall day and I found myself looking at the lovely changing colors of the leaves in October and not paying attention to the turn at the end of the stright. I made the corner but not by much. I figured when 140 became so routine that I started looking at the changing leaves it was time to give it up.

I sold the race car and bought my first tractor.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #96  
I spent many of my early years racing Alfa Romeo's. Over the years between race cars and street cars as well as parts cars I've had over 15 Alfa's. I gave up racing when I was doing over 140 on the back stright at Watkins Glen on a nice fall day and I found myself looking at the lovely changing colors of the leaves in October and not paying attention to the turn at the end of the stright. I made the corner but not by much. I figured when 140 became so routine that I started looking at the changing leaves it was time to give it up.

I sold the race car and bought my first tractor.

I remember going out to Dunkirk a few times, did you ever race there? Interesting about Watkins Glen, they would like to be doing 140 there today!

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #97  
The Miami Vice car in red! Cool.

(you did fine with the photos, BTW)

Not really other then looks, theres was built on vette chassis's where this one is on a tube chassis. Uses a Nissan 300zx R-200 rear with a locker in it. TKO 600 transmission and basically a stock car type front end with mustang 2 steering.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #98  
Not really other then looks, theres was built on vette chassis's where this one is on a tube chassis. Uses a Nissan 300zx R-200 rear with a locker in it. TKO 600 transmission and basically a stock car type front end with mustang 2 steering.

Yeah, I knew that Art. They had two of them for filming, both Corvette chassis and running gear with a soundtrack from one of the V12 Ferraris. Either way it's always been my favorite Ferrari issue and I'd be happy to tool around in a replica - except not red. :)

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #99  
I suppose it all depends upon your definition of a sports car. For purists, it is a two seater. Your car could squeeze a couple of people into the back seat. However, I wouldn't want to be one of them.

Now, if you are talking sporty cars with amazing handling and power; plus room to breathe in the back seat, I'll take my 1995 Thunderbird over any Japanese car. However, the Infiniti is definitely one hot looking ride. The Tbird is a sleeper that weaves through traffic like a snake, and if driven properly will make you think you are on a NASCAR track. And that is why they used them there. :)

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #100  
I suppose it all depends upon your definition of a sports car. For purists, it is a two seater.

Dunno about that...the Porsche 911 series had those jump seats and that's one of the best sports cars around.
But, I agree..it does depend upon one's definition.

Last edited: