Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #131  
My buddy's Jaguar was 12 cylinders. You could hardly hear the engine. It was so quite. I thought it had died on me one time, and I attempted to restart it and boy did that starter make some noise. Happy Tractoring.

The Jag 12 cylinder wasn't particularly powerful, but was definitely a smooth engine. It was a better fit for the Jag sedans rather then the E-Types.

I liked the Jag DOHC inline 6...especially the 3.8 liter (which had more RPM potential then the 4.2 liter). I never thought it was lacking in power.
British and European sports cars never had (with some exceptions) the cubic inches and low end torque most Americans were used to though and you really had to wind them out for best acceleration.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #132  
RoyJackson said:
British and European sports cars never had (with some exceptions) the cubic inches and low end torque most Americans were used to though and you really had to wind them out for best acceleration.

True. I have 180 hp at 8500 rpm. Yet I regularly outrun Z06 Corvettes.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #133  
I had a 93 RX-7. I was running around 280rwhp. It was a little corvette killer! 1.3 liter big block lol!

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #134  
True. I have 180 hp at 8500 rpm. Yet I regularly outrun Z06 Corvettes.

You mean you drove by a chevy dealership?? :D:laughing:

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #135  
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #136  
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #137  
I still own a 1990 Miata. Not the fastest, but by far the most fun to drive and autocross.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #138  
I still own a 1990 Miata. Not the fastest, but by far the most fun to drive and autocross.

Try a Lotus Seven sometime...if you ever have a chance to.
The sensation of speed, IMHO, is more important then speed itself. A low slung car like the Miata or the Seven really enhances that sensation.

A car like a Porsche is great...but most of us cannot use the car's potential (at least, not in most states in the US) unless you autocross or have an opportunity to run the car on a track.
Since I mentioned autocrossing...quite a few are held on shopping center parking lots and speeds aren't that high (you might see 60 MPH or so in a straight), but cornering, even at 15-30 MPH, can be challenging.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #140  
Try a Lotus Seven sometime...if you ever have a chance to.
The sensation of speed, IMHO, is more important then speed itself. A low slung car like the Miata or the Seven really enhances that sensation.

A car like a Porsche is great...but most of us cannot use the car's potential (at least, not in most states in the US) unless you autocross or have an opportunity to run the car on a track.
Since I mentioned autocrossing...quite a few are held on shopping center parking lots and speeds aren't that high (you might see 60 MPH or so in a straight), but cornering, even at 15-30 MPH, can be challenging.

My uncle was big into racing with his Lotus 7 in the 60's...

There are two scenes in the original Disney Movie the Love Bug when Herby is blowing past the other cars on the track and my uncle is one of the guys Herbie is overtaking...

It always seemed like you are just inches above the pavement and can easily touch it by dropping a hand outside the car...