Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #172  
Those old 911's are classics...is that a "T", "E" or "S"?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #173  
it's a hot rodded "t". i had my resto guy hand make 9 inch front fender flares and flared carrera/sc rears. been a fun car but to be honest.... at this point in my life i'd rather have a tractor. sorry the bx is gone
steve

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #174  
it's a hot rodded "t". i had my resto guy hand make 9 inch front fender flares and flared carrera/sc rears. been a fun car but to be honest.... at this point in my life i'd rather have a tractor. sorry the bx is gone
steve

Well, you can sell it...although those flares won't help selling to a collector.

My favorite were the "E"s...solid mid-range torque and if the MFI was tuned right, a very fast car!

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #175  
wow Roy, you know your porsches. your right.. in hindsight i wish i had done an original resto but i was hot for the st flares at the time. i wish i had photos of the 57 silver coupe i had. that was a beauty and has gone up alot $ the last few years
steve

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #176  
wow Roy, you know your porsches. your right.. in hindsight i wish i had done an original resto but i was hot for the st flares at the time. i wish i had photos of the 57 silver coupe i had. that was a beauty and has gone up alot $ the last few years
steve

I had a '77 911S with a hotrodded engined (which was a 2.4L "T" engine initially). I sold the CIS engine and the MFI, built the 2.4 into a 2.7 with triple downdraft Webers, SSI Heaterboxes and a sport muffler. Went for "E" cams because I wanted the best midrange torque.
It was a very fast 911, once I got the carbs and jetting sorted out.
Anyway, I worked at an independent Porsche shop while doing all this (only way I could afford the car, actually). The owner/mechanic specialized in the older 356 and 911 cars. He was one of the few guys on the East Coast that knew how to properly tune the MFI.
And, I learned a lot about Porsches back then...

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #177  
sounds like a fun car.bout 15 years ago when i was really into porsche's i would have given anything to work in one of those shops. now i see the old time independent shop owners and there disgusted with the state of things... probably the economy, change in priorities.
steve

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #178  
sounds like a fun car.bout 15 years ago when i was really into porsche's i would have given anything to work in one of those shops. now i see the old time independent shop owners and there disgusted with the state of things... probably the economy, change in priorities.
steve

Change in the customers too. Used to be most Porsche owners were really into their machines. The "profilers" (status junkies) were few...
Now, the buyers are more status seekers rather then real sportscar enthusiasts.
The cars are much more sophisticated and a lot of electronics requiring specialized equipment and training. The independents can't really afford this training and equipment.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #179  
Yeah........ I'm guilty..... It actually became more of an obsession than a hobby at one point...I'm a mustang guy. I've owned 29 mustangs to date. That doesn't include any of the ones my father and I bought for parts or strictly for resale when we had our restoration business (Mid-Ohio Mustang).

I was out of cars completely for about 5 years. Between working on the road for 7-8 months out of the year (2-3 months at a time) and the ex fiance, I didn't have time for any hobbies. I was focusing on making cash for our future...Well after the last Super Bowl i worked in Tampa (go steelers!) and got home aa week early and walked in on her and my ex best friend..... I took My house money and bought this screamin' sweetie. She puts 475 Horsepower and 495 ft/lbs of torque to the rear tires. she runs mid 11 second 1/4 mile times on the 18" street wheels and has been to 172 on GPS with more left in her. She was on display inside of Summit Racings showroom for a month last summer. I'm very proud of her. i also have a few others and my first mustang that started it all 17 years ago...

B15.jpg

B20.jpg

B11.jpg

B24.jpg

03cobraatsummit011.jpg

03cobraatsummit033.jpg

this is my blown, stroked, 10 sec 86 gt with 38K original miles from Georgia
86gtVert.jpg

My first baby...awaiting restoration (again)
aa4ac249.jpg

I realize I have issues...I'll probably be single forever too. That doesn't bother me bc some see-you-next-tuesday won't be taking half of my stuff!

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #180  
Quote: "Ain't no American Sport Car's. Well maybe the latter Corvette's and the Viper."

Egon, I'd like to respectfully disagree.... I think there has been one, but only one, the Ford Cobra with the 289 (NOT the 427). Think they were made around 1965 or so. Even so, it had a lot of British/European blood, I guess.... but I still think that was "our" only true sports car.

Back when my folks raced our '52 XK120, the 289 Cobra had the best combination of power, handling --and looks-- of any American contender. Well, it was the only American contender, IMO.

My feeling is that Ford ruined it --and made it no different than any other staright-line screamer-- when they put in the 427; WAY too heavy in the front end. Just my 2 cents.