Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #331  
Noticed you had a Boss 351. Man I remember when they first came out. I drove for UPS and everynight I would meet a black one with silver trim coming down the highway that just blew my mind. I couldnt afford one then but in 1973 with oil embargo I got a nice deal on a yellow with black trim Mach1 4 speed 351. Had the motor redone later at 114k with better pistons .30 overbore and a 4/11 rear. Six years ago a Ford dealer gave me atrade in on a new Saleen Mustang. I still miss the old car but the new tec. gets my palms sweaty everytime I startup the Saleen........Randy

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #332  
Syclone. Friend had one. Crazy fast for a production pickup of the time. Easily barked all four tires in each gear.

A 2500 Denali with a programmer may be the closest you can get to a 4wd truck with some sports car characteristics.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #333  
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #334  
Yeah mine is not a Shelby I would love a Shelby but that us not in the piggy bank fund. The 69 mach is a fun car. I love the sound and power. I know the new ones have more power but nothing they build now has the sound of a healthy v8 with a 4bbl IMO. Plus when it comes down to it I just love the classics I could go by a new Shelby for what I'll have in this car when I'm done but then I couldn't say I have a bad A 69 mach1 numbers matching. All I could say is yeah I have a 2013 Shelby one of many.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #335  
I always liked the body style of your car. Friends had 65/66's, but those just did not do anything for me...

Yeah mine is not a Shelby I would love a Shelby but that us not in the piggy bank fund. The 69 mach is a fun car. I love the sound and power. I know the new ones have more power but nothing they build now has the sound of a healthy v8 with a 4bbl IMO. Plus when it comes down to it I just love the classics I could go by a new Shelby for what I'll have in this car when I'm done but then I couldn't say I have a bad A 69 mach1 numbers matching. All I could say is yeah I have a 2013 Shelby one of many.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #336  
Yeah the 69 is my favorite mustang ever. I guess that's the reason I have it. Thumbs up. I like the 4 headlights its the only classic mustang with them I think. I'm pretty good on my mustang knowledge but I don't want to say something like that for a fact because there is always someone that wants to prove you wrong.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?
So let me get this straight. You want a truck that perfroms like a sports car, but you want it to be a 4x4 and a tow package?

Nope. That's not what I said. I want a truck that performs like a truck and that has reasonably responsive steering, brakes that are adequate, if not excellent, at stopping said truck when it is loaded or towing, suspension that is not modeled after a 1970 El Dorado. (I would gladly accept a harsh ride in a capable, responsive suspension to lose the ocean liner feel that Americans seem to love so much.) And I want it in a manual transmission. In other words, I want a good truck that does what trucks do, not a truck that doubles as and handles like a Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

I don't need it to be fast or to corner like a sports car. But I do want the brakes, suspension and steering to be responsive and capable. And I want a lot of low rpm torque. I'm guessing I can find at least some of that in the Toyota or Nissan but that's just a guess. My 19 year old daughter who drove my '03 F150 all through high school says her boy friend's new F150 is much tighter and more precise than my '03......so maybe things have gotten better in the last 10 years.........but no one offers a manual. You can get a manual in the 250/2500 level trucks (and up) but they are hard to find.

All of this is easy to pull off. All the necessary components and know-how are in existence and have been for years. I think there are two hurdles 1) Americans want their trucks to ride like land yachts and by-in-large can't drive a manual much less want one and 2) a good steering box, big capable brakes and a well designed suspension with beefy shocks cost a lot of money. Full sized trucks already cost more than a well equipped BMW 335i. Few of us would be willing to pay $50k for an F150.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?
So let me get this straight. You want a truck that perfroms like a sports car, but you want it to be a 4x4 and a tow package?

Nope. That's not what I said. I want a truck that performs like a truck and that has reasonably responsive steering, brakes that are adequate, if not excellent, at stopping said truck when it is loaded or towing, suspension that is not modeled after a 1970 El Dorado. (I would gladly accept a harsh ride in a capable, responsive suspension to lose the ocean liner feel that Americans seem to love so much.) And I want it in a manual transmission. In other words, I want a good truck that does what trucks do, not a truck that doubles as and handles like a Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

I don't need it to be fast or to corner like a sports car. But I do want the brakes, suspension and steering to be responsive and capable. And I want a lot of low rpm torque. I'm guessing I can find at least some of that in the Toyota or Nissan but that's just a guess. My 19 year old daughter who drove my '03 F150 all through high school says her boy friend's new F150 is much tighter and more precise than my '03......so maybe things have gotten better in the last 10 years.........but no one offers a manual. You can get a manual in the 250/2500 level trucks (and up) but they are hard to find.

All of this is easy to pull off. All the necessary components and know-how are in existence and have been for years. I think there are two hurdles 1) Americans want their trucks to ride like land yachts and by-in-large can't drive a manual much less want one and 2) a good steering box, big capable brakes and a well designed suspension with beefy shocks cost a lot of money. Full sized trucks already cost more than a well equipped BMW 335i. Few of us would be willing to pay $50k for an F150.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #339  
It was a fun summer with the Olds. I got era correct wheels and the interior finished and
it won it's first trophy, "Ladies Choice!" It also survived many burnouts and a couple of trips
up to and well over 120 mph. There's nothing like a 4 speed hooked up to a Rocket!

1967 Olds 1.jpg
442  Finished! 027a.jpg
442  Finished! 045a.jpg

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #340  
Now look at what you made me go and do... Although a little newer than our old '94 with 6 cylinder. '00 XJ8 w/103k miles.

No sports equipment, but there is trunk room for wheel chair when we take my Grandmother or MIL out and about.

jaguar-00volvo130.jpg

For the last few years, I've been driving a Jaguary XJ6. I'm a high mileage driver so I'm on my third one - I buy them inexpensively with about 60,000 miles and take them up to 150,000 to 200,000 miles before swapping it out. It's a great touring car, good handling, a big 4.0L straight six, and lots of getup-and-go even at freeway speeds (I really like the acceleration between 60 and 90 mph). It's comfortable with lots of room and I can still haul my kids with sports equipment around when needed - a good compromise.

A true 'sports car' in the future - maybe....