Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #382  
He use to be a regular at the Monterey Historic Auto Races and the SF Auto Show...

He stopped bringing the cars to Monterey because of a bad experience... they were all on the track and the skill level of the driver's varied greatly... a couple of cars mixed it up and my uncle decided no more... it would be the last time...

The Cobra he kept is a transition car... it was almost the last with the 289 and one of the firsts with the larger body... of all the ones he has owned he said this one is the most balanced and drives the best...

Wow! That sounds like an interesting Cobra. I'd prefer a 289.

I'm a regular at Monterey, also. It's a great time.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #383  
So, in summary, not only do they provide excellent advice on all things farming, the folks on Tractor By Net have (or have had) a lot of interesting cars, collections of chainsaws, rooms full of vintage Coca-Cola memorabilia . . . pretty much the kind of folks you want to hang out with.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #384  
Wow! That sounds like an interesting Cobra. I'd prefer a 289.

I'm a regular at Monterey, also. It's a great time.

Do you trailer out to Monterey from NJ each year?

You probably saw him with GT40 P1114 (Red)which is the last GT40 built... he also owned P1056 (Silver)

I just picked up a copy of Aug 1963 Hot Rod Magazine which did a feature on the AC ACE "Mongoose" he repowered with an Oldsmobile Aluminum V8... pre AC Cobra.

Half way down the link is a scan of the story.

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1722

Last edited:
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #385  
Just moved from California to New Jersey. Missed last year and will miss this year, then will start running it again. I've probably seen him. I remember seeing a red GT 40.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #386  
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #387  
Just moved from California to New Jersey. Missed last year and will miss this year, then will start running it again. I've probably seen him. I remember seeing a red GT 40.

OK... that makes sense.

As a kid, I remember going to Cotati raceway and going for test laps when he was setting up his Lotus for the track...

Mount Diablo had a great road rally each year on the twisting mountain road to the top... as with many things... the powers that be decided racing was not a suitable for a public park.

I know when my uncle was racing in the 60's it was a major undertaking just to race riverside or Phoenix being based in Oakland.

My goal that I've been working toward since a teenager is to have a barn/shop where I can have all my cars together... thought I had it last year and it fell through...

Some of the cars have been in storage over 10 years and have not seen the light of day... they've been safe because no one knows they are there.

Ideal would be a lever area with plenty of gravel or paved surface outside for trailers... inside would be a minimum of 40 x 120 with a large roll up door on one gable end so the cars could be parked at an angle never having to move one just to get another one out...

I've got roughly 50 vehicles in various states... 24 have or are licensed and insured and the others are projects or parts cars...

Not too much on the sport car side... an old Triumph Spitfire, 62 Corvette and some generic mustangs.... sold off the 68 Z28 to help pay for college and the GTO convertible...

I've always like old equipment... tractors, cars, steam etc.

Bought my first car, 29 Model A, at age 12 and towed it home using my uncles race trailer.

He could never see why I liked old cars because to him they were just old... his passion is race and retired race cars...

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #388  
Not really a sports car, but it's a lot of fun at the quarter mile tracks.. 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 with nitrous.. Runs mid 10's with and mid 11's without.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #389  
Wow! Sounds like quite a collection. We just built a metal building 36x64 to house ours. Had second thoughts that we'd lost our minds building such a large building, but now that all the cars in there am glad I didn't downsize. It's going to be fantastic. We spent this weekend hanging the art inside. It's like having another room in the house. We will spend many happy hours there. I've visit a lot of garage-mahals in Southern California and talked to a lot of guys who have them, and not one of them said, "I made a mistake building such a large garage." My recommendation is to go for the garage -- if you think you're going to live there awhile. Your cars are far more valuable to you when you can see them, easily access them, show them to friends, use them and enjoy them. Having them scattered around and stored deeply out of sight, well, it's just no way to live!

The Lotus 7 is, as you probably know, similar to our Eleven in design. They came out of sequence, the 7 after the Eleven. Those cars are way fast. I feel a bit exposed in them.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #390  
Looks to me like you're having a bit of sport in your Charger, PRF.