Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3542434445464748 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL

Default Re: Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

I think all race cars were fast and expensive in their day. The point they were making in Motor Sport was that it may be nearly impossible to run these cars as vintage cars. They cited carbon fiber suspension components that flake, peel and disintegrate even in cars used only as static museum pieces. Mercedes, or someone similar, has had to remake the parts out of steel and wrap them in fake carbon fiber for the display. Given this sort of degradation, these cars would essentailly have to be rebuilt piece by piece of newly manufactured CF. Not only would this be enormously expensive, it would also yield a car that looks vintage but is largely composed on new parts.

I think there is a similar wall in aviation technology. There are a fair number of flying WWII figher aircraft out there and yes, they have many, many new parts on them. But there are not many private owners of jet fighter aricraft, even from the 60's. It costs too much to do even for the incredibly wealthy.

But only time will tell. With enough money nearly anything is possible.....Jay Leno comes to mind.
    George
    South Carolina

The size of government is inversely proprotional to the degree of freedom it affords.

"What is truth?" Pontius Pilate

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 8N, Kubota L4240

-morgan-r-side-jpgHere is mine: A 1963 Morgan Plus four Super Sport. I bought it in 1968. Drove it as my only car for years. Sold it, regained it. It is mechanically sound, needs to have the body repainted and new upholstery. I hope to do both next year. (I hoped to do both this year, but other things intruded.) This is a fun car to drive, especially in the mountains on curvy roads.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by pmhowe View Post
    -morgan-r-side-jpgHere is mine: A 1963 Morgan Plus four Super Sport. I bought it in 1968. Drove it as my only car for years. Sold it, regained it. It is mechanically sound, needs to have the body repainted and new upholstery. I hope to do both next year. (I hoped to do both this year, but other things intruded.) This is a fun car to drive, especially in the mountains on curvy roads.
    That is one sweet ride!!! I'd love to have a Moggie
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

I've always liked the classic lines of Morgans...

Very nice!

Was seriously looking into buying an old MG TC or TD... problem is they simply don't accommodate 6'4' very well.

Never tried a Morgan for fit.

Tractor
    Kubota/ 3300SU

To bump an old thread, I have fun going fast or slow.

-dsc_0033-jpg

Tractor

I don't remember when I started this thread. It might have been before I had ever taken my car to the track. I've been going for about two years now. Have been driving solo most of that time. Most of this has been in my 350Z; I sold the G35 coupe. Most of my track time has been at Carolina Motorsports Park but I've also been to Roebling Road and this October I went to VIR. VIR is amazing and amazingly fun. It rained off and on most of the weekend and on the last session Sunday afternoon it was misting rain. As I entered the lower esses (some folks call it the snake) I either brushed the curbing with my inside rear or just had a little too much throttle input or both and it snapped around and I backed into the tires at about 45 mph. It bounced off the tires snapped around and impacted the driver side door.

I was fine. Lots of sheet metal damage but I was able to pull back on course and drive it off.

Insurance does not pay for this sort of thing. Body shop estimate was $7500 on a car worth about $16,000.

I found a door and rear hatch the same color on eBay and have them installed. Body shop will repair bumper and right rear quarter panel. Total repair costs will be around $3500 and this is just to get it close to previous condition. It will not be perfect.

I've been very depressed that my daily driver, which I loved to drive, got mangled up and will never look new again. But that's the price of putting your beloved street car on the track. Track day insurance is available but it adds up too. I'm hoping to get back to the track before spring.

Edit: Here is the video. Very unspectacular considering the amount of damage done:

George
    South Carolina

The size of government is inversely proprotional to the degree of freedom it affords.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L-4610HSTC

Does an air cooled VW dune buggy with full roll cage (Occupants and engine) that is street legal qualify as a sports car? Prior to the buggy my last few sports cars included both Bugeye sprites as well as those with roll up windows. I bought a Sunbeam Tiger new in '66 that with dealer options did 165MPH. It had virtually perfect 50/50 weight distribution and provided oodles of fun on the highway blasting most American muscle cars off the road (including Vettes). Ditto Triumphs, XKE JAgs etc.

Sports cars? There aren't many actually really bona fide sports cars on the road.

Patrick
    Patrick
    Never wrestle with a pig (however titled) as you just get dirty and the pig has all the fun.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

It happens. Looks like you're shaking your head in disgust right afterward. Like, "Oh, man!" Know the feeling!! I've only been to VIR once, in similar wintry wet conditions in a Camaro ZL1. A buddy put his one the tire barrier that day. That said, it's a great track! Though I heard the big oak tree died and had to be cut down. Not sure why you came around like that. Maybe you lifted off the throttle in the middle of the esses? In any cases, it seemed like cruel punishment. Wouldn't have expected a spin right there. In any case, fix it and get back out there!

Mitch

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

I say the dune buggy qualifies! Today, the term sports car expands well beyond a two-seat British roadster.

Tractor

I'll definitely be getting back on the track. Its like a disease.

Patrick, I both agree and disagree about sports cars. On the one hand you don't see many modern cars in the light weight, rag top, spartan interior catagory. For one thing, the various safety laws simply won't allow it and on the other hand, the public is generally not willing to spend a lot of money on a car only useful in perfect weather and/or on the track.

On the other hand, the handling and performance of even mundane modern cars vastly exceeds that of cars that used to be considered oh so sporty. The Honda Civic comes to mind. Any number of hot hatchs like the Dodge GLH and Rabbit GTI that outperformed most other 'sporty' cars in their day.

To me, the term "sports car" has a lot more to do with what the car can do than what shape it is or whether it has air conditioning or not.

Having said all that, there is a saying amongst those seeking sporty, affordable, well performing cars for the track and the saying is "Miata is always the right answer." Not Porsche, not GTR, not 'Vette. I'm not a big Miata fan because I simply do not fit in one, but they are arguably the last true roadster.
    George
    South Carolina

Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3542434445464748 ... LastLast