Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #481  
Quoted in Celsius because that's what the ECU reads in. I had to convert it over to understand how much the temp really dropped.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #482  
I could get a harness bar which is fine on the street if you use your OEM seat belt but
thought by many to be unsafe in a rollover. Some big decisions coming up but not quite ready to make it a track
only car.

Glad you made it back onto the track, George. I assume you are still using the 350Z?

I am a bit surprised that your club has not required the 5-point harness. Mine did, even if I never
was in any of the wheel-to-wheel racing groups.

I put a 5-point Simpson harness in my 308, after fabbing up a "harness bar", which was just
some sched 40 tubing that mounted to both OEM shoulder harness attachments. I installed
it with the OEM belts in there, too, so street driving was more convenient. The bar became
my support for the fire extinguisher, too. Also required.

The cam-lock harness allowed me to cinch down so tight that I could only move my arms
and feet. I felt very secure.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?
I've run with 5 different organizations at three different tracks and none of them require anything beyond a helmet, even in time trials. Once you go wheel-to-wheel you have to have the HANS, fire suppression, full cage, fire suit, etc. However, I agree that once you get into the higher DE classes and time trials it is time to get better/more safety gear.

I am leaning towards a pre-fab harness bar with a 5 point harness with the addition of a HANS device soon to follow. But that alone will approach $1000. But, that setup will still allow me to use it as a daily driver.

Update to an old thread: Recently had a custom roll bar installed, $700, and added a race seat (free hand-me-down), 6 point harness with cam lock ($160) and a NecksGen head and neck restraint ($550). A lot of money and had to cut up a lot of the interior plastic trim etc. But I am safer, feel safer and the added bonus is that when you are tightly secured in your seat with a 5 or 6 point harness you can drive better since you're not bracing with your legs and using the steering wheel as support. The car is pretty close to becoming a track only car.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #485  
The car is pretty close to becoming a track only car.

That's what happens with all those mods.....eventually becomes non-streetable.

I was hoping to take my racing shifter kart on the track this fall, but I missed my window. I
need cooler weather, so I can wear my driver suit, and Atwater is hot in the summer.

I also replaced my MR2 Spyder with a new Miata. Great car! More electronics than I want, but I could not
avoid them. Also, no spare tire. :-(

That's what happens with all those mods.....eventually becomes non-streetable.

Yep. Driving around in a race seat and 6 point is an aggravation. It is easy enough to swap the oem seat back in and the oem belts are still there..........but I don't see me doing that much. Then the tags get dropped and you can't drive it on the street even if you want to.

I need cooler weather, so I can wear my driver suit, and Atwater is hot in the summer.

I don't go to the track much in warm weather. Just too hot down here. I want to try carts sometime. Our local road course has a great cart track.

I also replaced my MR2 Spyder with a new Miata. Great car! More electronics than I want, but I could not
avoid them. Also, no spare tire. :-(

You can't go wrong with a Miata but those MR2s sure are cool cars. I'm 6'4" so I'm probably too tall for an MR2, Miata or a cart. I barely fit in my 350z.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #487  
I'm 6'4" so I'm probably too tall for an MR2, Miata or a cart. I barely fit in my 350z.

My brother is 6'1" and has an NC Miata with retractable hardtop, but it is tight.

With racing karts, you have to buy a seat that fits, and install on the frame to fit your length. Big guys
do drive them. I am only 5'6".

We were in NC last year, and stopped at a beautiful track, called GoPro MotorPlex. Only $35 to drive
on it with your own machine. I would love to drive on it.

I've driven a Miata on the street. Felt like my head was above the top of the windshield but my friend, who owned the car, said he thought the seat would go lower. I've instructed in a Honda S2000 twice and fit okay in the passenger seat.

5'6" is perfect race car driver size. About the size of most of the top F1 and LeMans guys.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #489  
I'm 6'4" and when I drive cars like Miata or even my 62 Corvette it really has to be with the top down...

In the Miata, the top of the windshield was right across the middle of my line of vision. Maybe in a race-prepped one with a low race seat set way back I could fit. Being tall is nice and all that but it sucks when it comes to cars.