Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4510

Default Re: How would you like to be this Home Owner?

That makes my town look honest! We have shady inspectors and a town board that should be in jail...just yesterday there was an article detailing how a councilwoman appointed her boyfriend to assistant police chief.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

May be somewhat off topic but I am going to offer my opinions about the township I reside in. When I moved to rural mid-Michigan in late '88, they had really only one full time employee in the township office, the lady who answered the phone, took your tax bills, gave you permits, etc. She worked harder that 98% of other government employees I knew elsewhere, always happy to help someone even if it meant staying late. Well, as the township grew in population they began hiring more staff, both full and part time, and when that one woman left for a county job back about Y2K, service at the township office got worse the more staff they hired. These days when you go into the front desk, they act like they are doing you a favor by getting up to serve you.

My township hasn't even doubled in population since I moved here, why do they need 12 times the full-time staff to handle things now? They do make a big deal that the seasonal residents (college kids) add 5,000 to the population, but do those kids pay a tax bill? Apply for remodeling and building permits? Pay utility bills? BLEEP NO.

IMO the majority of the staff there was just hired so they could justify raising our property taxes.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

If I recall one of the tbn members posted about how her township, and planning people gave her the run around for years.
    Townships are fine, i live in one but lets face it county wide government would allow streaming of goverment, common forms and practices. Plus keeps some of the good ol network out of the loop at the local level.

Super Star Member
    SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

Actions have consequences...

As said, there were multiple opportunities for compromise...

Here is a local story from the West Coast...

Half Moon Bay grapples with $36.8 million judgment against it - SFGate

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

a few years ago I my aunt's neighbor moved his pasture fence over on my aunt's property line about 10 feet and then cleared the fence row. After three separate surveys and a long drawn out lawsuit that cost my aunt something like $72000 the judge through out the surveys and let the neighbor keep the 10 feet and because the legal fees bankrupted him his sold out and moved back to pennsylvania and the new owner got to keep the new property boundary.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by forgeblast View Post
    If I recall one of the tbn members posted about how her township, and planning people gave her the run around for years.
    Townships are fine, i live in one but lets face it county wide government would allow streaming of goverment, common forms and practices. Plus keeps some of the good ol network out of the loop at the local level.
    Thomas Jefferson envisioned and created, essentially, the range system and the township structure at the time of the Louisiana Purchase. His goal, no doubt, was self determination at the lowest possible local level. It created the establishment of a set aside school property, which, in all reality, created local public school districts. A couple centuries have passed and things change. Those who have consolidated the county into a powerful central government also have their issues and problems. We mostly get the government we deserve, someone once said. The nature of the Republic. Ben Franklin would agree. It is what it is.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Here

Quote Originally Posted by lockhaven View Post
    The big difference is the people in a township that are not career politicians make decisions because of ignorance or friendship. The career politicians like we have in Maryland make decisions because of who paid them the most. The result is the same, innocent people getting the short end of the stick. I think a computer would do a better job, that way everybody would get the same consideration.
    Would still require a human to program it

And, version 2 would come out as soon as another party upped their offer to said programmer.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

The letter of the law kills; the spirit of freedom gives life.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

I think the story in the original post demonstrates among other things that suing the government is, in all reality, suing your neighbor. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the fight is between the landowner who fudged his property line and the township officials who didn't know their own laws like they should. But, it ends up coming down on the heads of the other residents of the town. Pity the poor man if he ever does finish his house and move in. He will have a lot of instant enemies. I'd have a hard time reaching out a hand of fellowship if it happened in my town.

How many of you who would be willing to serve on a city council or planning and zoning board?
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Here

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    I think the story in the original post demonstrates among other things that suing the government is, in all reality, suing your neighbor. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the fight is between the landowner who fudged his property line and the township officials who didn't know their own laws like they should. But, it ends up coming down on the heads of the other residents of the town. Pity the poor man if he ever does finish his house and move in. He will have a lot of instant enemies. I'd have a hard time reaching out a hand of fellowship if it happened in my town.

How many of you who would be willing to serve on a city council or planning and zoning board?
    He was gonna flip it.

Of course now it's the longest flip in history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12