Good Neighbours and Deeds

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
I am the type of person to help first and ask questions later. I tend to put off my own projects to see that friends get theirs completed. For the last year I have been helping my new neighbour with projects - we built a 12`x18` workshop, moved his smaller shed out of the way and back once completed - he has assisted me when I ask, cared for our horses, chickens and pigs when we are away. We have shared many fine evenings together.

I help get materials with my truck and trailer and feel very awkward taking cash for fuel etc.
So, the other day, out of the blue, he shows up at my deck with a small box. He says this is for you, your family and kids to use. A new 15" laptop - Windows. Problem is I am a mac guy.
He refuses to take it back and says his wife will be over later to teach me!

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have all of our neighbours like this... people truly respecting each other for who they are.

PS: I write this on the laptop via wireless router sitting in my back yard watching the fire and the sun set... life is good!

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #2  
What goes around comes around!

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #3  
You Canadians are nice guys. I help out my neighbor's the best I can. But I'll never get any presents from them, most seem to be broke!!! :((

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #4  
What was that movie with John Candy??? Canadian Bacon, that was funny and try as they may, they couldn't get the Canadians into a war:laughing:

I like helping my neighbors, if I like them. I never expect anything in exchange, other than maybe some help when I need it. Usually it's fun stuff, like building something ect tra and on their dime too!!

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #5  
you got a PC........see, no good deed goes unpunished LOL:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:.

Actually, what a cool gift. Im lucky if my neighbors say thank you when i help out. it gets frustrating at times. By the way..... i sure wish i was a MAC guy, cause i hate the PC and microcr*p stuff, but im too set in my ways to change this late in life.

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds
Thanks all. I do find it difficult to accept payment. Usually a thank-you is enough.

gsgreat - Macs are very user friendly. The next time you are considering upgrading or have time to kill go to a mac store and have a test drive. The down side to macs are that they are generally more expensive than a pc plus the software is more expensive even though they are made by the same company. The plus is that they filter out 95-98% of spam and scam mail and viruses. The platforms are very stable and generally you have no problems and the software is very easy to install.

If I don't receive a thank you from some one I usually end the relationship fast... no sense
wasting my time.

Western - we do go to war... lots over in Irag/Iran and Afghanistan now and we have unfortunately/sadly received our share of soldiers not returning...

Later....

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #7  
When I built my log cabin in a small (tiny) farming community in the middle of South Carolina, neighbors came out of the woodwork, or maybe I should say woods, to help. I knew all of these people, but I didn't know all of them that well. My wife's sister and her family helped the most (weekend after weekend) but I was amazed at the people who I only knew casually who lent a hand. And a lot of them had special skills which made the whole thing come together.

I am able to reciprocate fairly often for my wife's sister and her family. For the other folks, we often hold parties or barbecues and invite everyone to come. New Years day lunch has become almost a tradition for all the folks that helped.

And I have to say, their help, especially my B-I-L, was not just a nicety, it was critical. I had bitten off way more than I could chew and if all these folks had not been there to help, it would still be a pile of logs!

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #8  
my grandpa always said ... if you want good neighbors be a good neighbor

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #9  
Well done!!!

/ Good Neighbours and Deeds #10  
Western - we do go to war... lots over in Irag/Iran and Afghanistan now and we have unfortunately/sadly received our share of soldiers not returning...

Later....

Hope you didn't take what I said wrong! It was a movie, a comedy. The point I was making was in agreement with the other person that posted how friendly Canadians are, especially in relation to to Americans.