Short Term Internet Service

/ Short Term Internet Service #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Looking for ideas.......

My 89 year old mother loves her computer, email, and Drudge. Her health has declined recently - been in the hospital this year for heart problems, lung problems and most recently fractured her hip and had to have partial hip replacement. She then suffered a heart attack right after the surgery which she is recovering from, and has a bad gall bladder but the risk of further surgery is too great. She is doing pretty well in ICU and in a few days will probably be discharged if everything goes well, and will be in rehab.

The rehab center has no internet. I'd like to set up her computer in the rehab center (her private room) and use some sort of wireless adapter to receive a cell signal for internet. Never done it so I assume it would be 3G like I get on the iphone. I get a good 3G signal in the rehab center on my iphone.

What hardware is needed, and about how much would this cost? Hoping for a short term solution until she goes home.

/ Short Term Internet Service #2  
If you/she has a laptop, contact your local service providers, they probably have a USB card that will give high speed wireless Internet connectivity, average is about $60/month.

Another option is a "smart phone" or one of several "pad" type devices that will do everything mentioned. The "pad" devices offer larger screens for easier reading etc.

/ Short Term Internet Service
She doesn't have a laptop - just a desktop that is currently connected to DSL. But thats her apartment and for maybe a month she'll be in rehab. Just trying to get her something to use for a few weeks - can set up the computer there temporarily. Hoping not too much money up front and no contracts required. She is not really receptive to trying to figure out an ipad (no keyboard) and I don't own one anyway.

/ Short Term Internet Service #4  
Not many choices you can pay for a broadband USB Modem and prepay for usage with no longterm contract. Cost about $140 for the USB modem + prepaid card.

Edit - Didn't know she didn't have a laptop when I suggested this Second Option. This would also require a WiFi card for her desktop which would would add another $40 dollars. In this situation the USB Modem is the best value, what Massy suggested applies to most cell-phone providers if any of your family has a contract.

Second option if center has internet access in their office area is to see if they would let you hang a WiFi access point you could use while there. Most business will not allow this as they could be compromising there network security. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Cost about $40 for the access point.

Good Luck

Verizon Wireless Prepaid - Verizon Novatel USB Modem - USB760

Last edited:
   / Short Term Internet Service #5  
Another option if you have good Sprint coverage: virginmobileusa.com

broadband2go product
$60 for a single usb device.
$50 per month for unlimited access, no contract.

/ Short Term Internet Service #7  
Credit to your mum that she retains an active interest in computers and the internet at the age of 89.

/ Short Term Internet Service #8  
Another option if you have good Sprint coverage: virginmobileusa.com

broadband2go product
$60 for a single usb device.
$50 per month for unlimited access, no contract.

VM also offers a $20/mth plan that limits you to 500mb

the good thing about VM is that after you buy the device, service is month to month..

I was using them for about 3 to 4 months on the 'unlimited' plan but they throttle your speeds down after 2.5 gb/mth and I need around 8 gb.

VM uses the sprint cell towers

Brian

I still have my VM mifi (allows up to 5 devices to connect) if you are interested in buying it, i can make you a pretty good deal compared to new or ebay used stuff

/ Short Term Internet Service
Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked some of those services and it turns out some are not offered in this area. Turns out my niece had a Verizon USB modem UM175 so I called Verizon and set it up. Cost was $25 setup fee and $50 a month for 1GB. Not the best deal, but didn't have to buy the modem and it might now last long. For $80 we can get 5GB. I doubt she will go over the 1GB however.

Not real fast, but better than nothing. Speed test shows about 900 down and 800 up, but seemed slower than that at times. Have four bars for Verizon 3G network. The speed should OK.