Surround Sound Advice

/ Surround Sound Advice #41  
ran RCA plugs for sound

Since the new DISH boxes will most likely have HDMI ports this is mooot but fiber optic will give you the same sound quality as HDMI...the ports are hard to find as they look much different. If your reciever and DTV box have fiber optic ports and the reciever came with a F.O. cable check it out...you will notice an imediate upgrade in sound/tone quality.

/ Surround Sound Advice #42  
UPS delivered everything a day early, on Thursday. Both the speakers and receiver where packaged very well, and here was no sign of damage to the boxes.

The instructions for the speakers are pretty much worthless. Of course, they are speakers and pretty simple to figure out.

The Denon receiver's instructions where not much better. After trying to figure them out, I just winged it by what was labled off of the back. Nowhere could I find anything about what the settings are, or how to even get to them. There are some on screen instructions, but getting there and figuring out what they do is still something that I'm working on. I'm rather disapoined in that.

My Direct TV box does not have a plug for HDMI cables. I cannot use it through my receiver, so I ran RCA plugs for sound and then used coaxial cable to run the picture right into the tv. It's takes a few steps to go from watching TV to watching a blue ray.

I called Direct to see about a new box, and found out they wanted almost a hundred bucks for the box and instalation. They also want another ten bucks a month for the box. I called Dish and they are going to give me two boxes, free instalation and no additional montly fee. For what I was paying with Direct TV, I ill get 60 more channels with Dish. They are supposed to be here Saturday morning.

The sound is great. Very clear, and crisp. It is all around me. I love listening to the radio!!!! Bluray movies are also very impressive. It gets way louder then I can deal with, so there is more then enough power for my use.

I'm figuring out the receiver by pushing buttons and seeing what happens. I'm disapointed in the manuel, but enjoying the sound quality that I'm getting.

Eddie

Eddie, sounds like Dish is installing High Definition (HD) for you. I predict you will love it.

/ Surround Sound Advice
It's been a few weeks now since Dish came out and installed the HD receiver. Dish was great. They called and left three messages and sent an email reminding me that the installer would be here Saturday morning. I was his second stop of the day and he got here around 9:30 am. Right on time!!

Part of the install included a second room for the same price, but it wasn't HD, but included all the same channels. It works off of the main box, but is controlled by a different remote and has an antenna booster in the other room. I asked him if he could hook it up so my parents could watch TV in their RV, which he said that he could. This turned out to be a bit more work because of the wiring in the RV. He and my Dad figured out how to make it work by bypassing the RV's internal wiring and connecting the cable right into the RV's antenna on the roof of the RV. It's a big grainy, but otherwise it works great. The guy installing it said that their is a loose connection somewhere between the antenna and the tv. Dad will have to figure that out if it becomes an issue.

My install went very smoothly. He set it up so it worked with my Dennon receiver and surround sound. Then he showed me how to use the remote, some of the fancy features and how to program it for what I watch. Very helpful and easy to work with. I'm very pleased.

A few days later, I called Direct TV to cancel and told them why. That's when they offered me something similar, but not nearly as good as Dish. Instead, they really pushed the HBO and Showtime channels for free. I'm not interested in those, and wanted HD for the same price I had always been paying. Dish is free HD for life!!! Dish also nocked $20 off of my first years monthly payments and I got 50 more channels then what I had for the same price with Direct TV. Direct has sent me a notice that they owe me $14, but so far, no check. They also sent me an envelope to put the card from their programer channel changer thing into and to mail back to them. I'm guessing that I'll get my $14 when they get their card.

The HD channels are amazing. I don't get local channels in HD, but there are so many other channels that I watch that are in HD, that it's not a big deal. I rarely watch local TV or any sitcoms. The HDMI port works great with receiver, which is why I changed to Dish.

The Dennon receiver and Energy speakers are just unbelieveable. Now that it's all set up the way I like it, I'm blown away by the sound, and being able to feel the sound. Gladiator, Matrix, Pirates of the Carribean, Borne, Transformers and everything else that I've watched on it in Bluray is just INCREDIBLE!!!!!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. You really helped me understand something that was totally foreign to me, and hard to understand. My new LCD 55" Samsung TV, Smansung Bluray, Dennon receiver and Energy Speakers all came to about $2,300. I built the stand to match the other furniture in my house that I also built, so that didn't cost me anything since it was all from scrap wood I already had laying around.

Eddie

Attachments

• 2729.jpg
    2729.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 62