Uptick in Airline Delays/Cancellations... not weather related.

/ Uptick in Airline Delays/Cancellations... not weather related. #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Delays/Cancellations seem to be a lot more common these days or I am just seeing more of them...

Was supposed to head off to San Francisco to pick up my brother's family of 6 just when he called from a hotel... they were on the tarmac a little over 4 hours when the pilot called the United Flight... so off to Hotels for the night with no luggage and will try again in the morning...

It seems to be happening to a lot of people I know...

Anyone else notice this?

/ Uptick in Airline Delays/Cancellations... not weather related. #2  
There is no excess capacity anymore - every flight that I have taken recently was completely full. So, if there is a cancellation or delay, it can't be made up by other planes.

/ Uptick in Airline Delays/Cancellations... not weather related. #3  
There is no excess capacity anymore - every flight that I have taken recently was completely full. So, if there is a cancellation or delay, it can't be made up by other planes.

I recently went to Florida to see my folks. The airline, Spirit Air, oversold both flights, by 3 seats. People got whatever they get for being bumped.

/ Uptick in Airline Delays/Cancellations... not weather related.
It was very common for business travelers to fly from SF to LA...

Now, some companies are encouraging their employees to drive... no rental on the other end and hours at the airport...

I prefer to drive the 12 hours to WA from CA instead of air travel which takes 5 hours door to door... By driving, I am not restricted as to what I can bring and no need to rent a car.

/ Uptick in Airline Delays/Cancellations... not weather related.
Family of 6, ages from a 5 year old to 77 year old Grandmother, made it home safely just after midnight this morning...

32 hour total flight delay on one non-stop flight, United Frankfurt Germany to San Francisco.

Time underway 49.5 hours...

United had to bring in another plane because as pointed out... the capacity to accommodate everyone from one fully loaded Jumbo jet cancellation did not exist...

Best part was everyone got their own row on the way back...

The worst part was sitting on the tarmac for almost 5 hours while repairs attempted.