Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #21  
you hiding something in that house that you dont want us to see :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nope...but I'm not an overly trusting person when it comes to strangers...

Guy asked me one time (knowing I owned a few firearms) "What kind of gun do you use as a house gun?"
My response "Depends on which room I'm in..."

Last edited:
   / Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #22  
Thanks to all for the info & pointers. Several things I hadn't considered.

Not paranoid about the whole security thing, but don't want to hold the door open for the next scammer/perv to take a shot either. I live in a fairly rural area, a place where you would think 'that type of thing doesn't happen around here' but it does happen, and I'm talking worse than having your tractor stolen... I like the idea of asking for the phone number through email or using google voice and screening the calls. Will have to give that one some thought.

I suppose the decision to hold something for a buyer would depend on the situation, whether they made/offered a deposit, etc. But if there's even a hint of flake, probably hang up or show them the road.

Thanks again - appreciate all the help.
Greg

I guess you also have to be a judge of charector as your talking to them on the phone who can generally get the idea if they are serious or not. Treat them as you would want to be treated.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #23  
With some 12 million people in the region, its reasonable to assume there are a few who might steal something if they knew how to find you.
Exactly. I use my Google Voice number as it cannot be tracked back to a street address (at best, they can track it back to my cell number and email address).
I will give my phone number out in an email, but I will not put it in my ad.
I can generally provide plenty of large pictures and will work with someone from out of town, but I dont see any need to put a phone number out where it can be publicly indexed and added to a telemarketer's phone list.

Aaron Z

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones
blueriver said:
I guess you also have to be a judge of charector as your talking to them on the phone who can generally get the idea if they are serious or not. Treat them as you would want to be treated.

True. Looked at a tractor awhile back, started with a CL ad, and couldn't have asked for a nicer guy as the seller. It was several miles away and almost right away I was comfortable making the drive. Once I got there everything just as described. I also got suckered once, but the drive wasn't too bad. It was a 'good condition' Trail King 14K with low mileage on the tires. Asked two or three times how old the tires were and got 'almost all tread there'. All the tread was there alright, for the past 20 years. No kicking the tires on this puppy, they would have fallen off :D But it was my fault - should have known... Live n learn they say...

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #25  
Ya, i guess it all depends on the area you live in. I'm real rural out here, all the neighbors are looking out for each other (cause the cops will take 30 min to respond). I guess it makes me more trusting that someone willing to travel all the way out here to see this item are not just looky loos, there people that honestly want the product.

If i lived near a crack infested hole of a town i wouldn't be so trusting. It also helps that I'm home nearly every day now that I'm semi retired.... don't have to worry about empty nest hehe

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #26  
We buy and sell quite a few things on craigslist and have never had a problem. We put our cell number in the ad and sometimes include hours to call between. When selling we never let anyone in the house, and always tell people that if they want something held they have to leave a non-refundable deposit.
We have an 80 lb pit bull that they see in the fenced back yard when they come to our house. He is extremely friendly and would help load our stuff in someones car if he could, but they don't know that. I always tell people he is friendly when we are there with him.
When we go to look at items I like to take my S&W bodyguard with me. I put my money in one pocket and it in another, but have never gone anywhere that I felt uncomfortable when I got there.
We have bought tractor, bicycles, appliances, steers, and more.
We have sold appliances, bicycles, vehicles, a large propane tank, and even rented a mobile home to a very nice family from New York city.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #27  
My goodness!!! Maybe I'm just not cautious (or paranoid?;)) enough. But I just posted my ad and included my home phone number.

I have put my home phone number in every ad I have placed on Craigslist, so far no problems. Interestingly I get about 2-3 e-mails for every phone call. :confused2: