Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #1  

Chef Pa

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3010 4300
Need to unload a few things and plan to try CL. Plan to take phone calls only (no text or email) and set up a separate gmail acct so my regular doesn't fill up with spam. New to CL so any pointers appreciated.

Plan on using a prepaid cell to take the calls. Might be overkill to maintain security/anonymity but small price to me for the peace of mind. Any advice on the prepaid cell appreciated also.

Thanks
Greg

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #2  
Over the past couple of months I have sold a few things on CL. So far have not had any problems other than a person wanted to pay by check for $4,200. of lumber, I said cash only. Said he would come next day and take it, shook hands on the deal, next day he phoned about 1 hour before he was scheduled to come and jammed out. The same day he promised to buy the lot, I did have someone else that wanted some but told him it was all sold, so lost that sale. So until you have the cash do not cancel the listing or even tell people it is sold. If you have an interested buyer then tell other potential buyers that you have someone interested, that way you may not loose a potential sale. I think you are wise being cautions, lots of good people out there but more than a few bad ones as well. Good luck selling on CL.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #3  
I use Google Voice to give out on CL. It lets me give out a number which is local and I can choose where calls go. I can also send any call not in a list directly to voice mail. I have it set to transcribe all voicemails and email/text them to me.
No need for a 2nd phone and incoming/outgoing calls in the US are free.

Aaron Z

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #4  
In the past, I sold a bass boat and a ZTR mower with trailer on Craigslist, and included pictures in my ad. I've recently considered selling my pool table and what I read on Craigslist is that any pictures have to already be on the Internet. I think they listed some free hosting websites, but I haven't really checked into it. Does anyone know whether you can post photos from your computer to Craigslist, or how do you post them first somewhere else and then link to some URL?

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #5  
I use Craigslist regularly with no problems and no special subterfuge. As noted above, you will get a few calls from flakey people. My response is simple - the item is for sale until I get cash in my hand. Only then do I consider it sold.

If some guy says he'll be there at 10 o'clock, and I get a call from someone else at 0930, I tell guy #2 that there's someone coming at 10. If you're here before him, with cash, it's yours.

I once sold an inflatable liferaft for $800. A guy came and saw it and asked it if he could leave a deposit and pick it up in a few days. "Sure thing. Leave an $800 deposit and it's yours. Pick it up at your leisure"

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #6  
what I read on Craigslist is that any pictures have to already be on the Internet. I think they listed some free hosting websites, but I haven't really checked into it. Does anyone know whether you can post photos from your computer to Craigslist, or how do you post them first somewhere else and then link to some URL?

I just tested it to be sure it hadn't changed. You post directly from your PC.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #7  
Ya, i agree with the posts here. I don't think you need to worry about alot of calls. I get 2-3 knuckleheads calling me wanting to trade or make payments, but for the most part it goes ok. I INSIST that the person has to come and view the item and i INSIST on cash only. Those nuts that want you to deliver it to them site unseen are the ones that you need to hang up on . When i was selling my JD870 in Idaho, i got a call from a guy in Pennsylvania that wanted me to haul it up to him and hed pay the asking price..... ya right. Haul a tractor a few thousand miles and have them say...na, thats not what I'm looking for. tell you what, ill take it but you have to shave off a grand......

Sell local, buy local on craigslist and there is no problem.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #8  
On another note, I bought my L48 from an ad on craigslist. I talked to the guy on the phone and he sent me extra pictures and it all looked good. Only thing was he was a couple hundred miles from where I was in Oregon. I told him if it was as he described and looked that I would take it but being late on sat by that time it would be monday by the time I could get the cash, rent a trailer, and get there. Fortunatly he said he would hold it til I got there. 8 inches of snow there and I still made it by noon on monday and it was still there and just what I wanted. If he had sold it to someone else I would have been some kinda pissed and he had other offers and someone that said they could pay cash on sunday. He told folks that I was first in line and gave me the time I needed but still had a back up plan.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #9  
I just tested it to be sure it hadn't changed. You post directly from your PC.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I, too, would want cash and wouldn't consider something sold until I had cash in hand. But when I sold my Kubota tractor, the guy showed up on afternoon and by the time we agreed on a deal, it was too late for him to get to a bank, get the cash, and get back. But I told him I'd hold it for him until tomorrow. He insisted on giving me a $200 deposit even though I told him that wasn't necessary. And he didn't ask for a receipt so I didn't offer one.:laughing: But needless to say, I would not have sold it to anyone else before he returned, and he did show up the next morning with a thick envelope of cash.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #10  
Plan to take phone calls only (no text or email) and set up a separate gmail acct
Don't put any contact info in the ad. That just invites spam and nuisance calls. Instead post that the reader should email his phone # to the temporary email that CL shows in the ad. CL will forward it to you immediately.

This puts you in control of the transaction. You decide when to return his call, instead of receiving phone calls late at night or months after you sold the item. Your email files will include a list of who your potential customers are, just in case you need a police investigation later because your tractor was stolen or you got mugged. Or the customer's check bounced a month after he departed with your tractor. If you let him call you first, he can remain anonymous throughout the transaction and there is no way to trace him later.

These bad consequences are very unlikely - but following these steps that force him to reveal his identity will scare off the troublemakers so you never see the overseas scammers and general idiots that CL has a reputation for.

The other cautions are obvious - if someone wants to write you a check for a large amount, instead go with him to *his* bank so he can write the check to pay for a money order etc that he hands you in the presence of the cashier. (don't accept a money order that you didn't see him buy!). If an offer is made to overpay, with you refunding the excess, ignore it.

If you control all aspects of the transaction like described here, selling on CL should be easy and fun.

I have bought a lot of stuff on CL, sold the leftovers from closing out my parents estates, and used to list my rental on CL. Controlling the transactions as described above, avoided a lot of pointless chaos.