Cost of Electricity

/ Cost of Electricity #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
Hi, The talk over in the NH forum
NH Forum Link regarding price disparity across the country got me wondering....what do you guys pay for power ( electricity ). This may be interesting ?!

Here in Massachusetts, I'm currently paying $ 0.095 per KWH.
I know some area towns ( with town owned power companies ) are up around $ 0.14 per KWH. My average winter month's power bill runs about $120.00 !

/ Cost of Electricity #2  
I'm paying just a little more than you. My last bill was $.0995 per KWH. The electric company would probably tell you it's $.07 per KWH, but after they add all the taxes, fees, etc. . . . .

/ Cost of Electricity #3  
Rochester Gas & Electric has figured out how to charge 18.345 cents per kwh. Officially, the electirc is 7.444 cents per kwh, but that is without meter charge, and taxes.

/ Cost of Electricity #4  
I live in eastern side of washington state. For years we benefited from the cheap power of the columbia and snake river dams distributed by BPA. However over the past couple years due to a variety of reasons...political, supply speculation, dumping water to preserve the salmon runs, etc... our rates have been going up. A couple years ago we were paying 4.5cents/kwh....now it is about 6.8cents/kwh.....I know, nothing to whine about but when most homes in our area are electric everything it does effect the monthly budget. The cost increase has really hit the farmers around here....we are a large agricultural area in the middle of a desert, so the farmers use a lot of power to pump water.

/ Cost of Electricity #5  
And here's another tidbit that most people don't realize...
The power company will charge a customer a higher rate if most of their appliances use sources of energy other than electric. So if you build a new house with gas heat, stove, water heater etc., your rate (per hour) could & will be higher than your next door neighbor who runs on everything electric. Then another joke is that companies who use a lot of juice actually can GET a discount if they use power during certain periods of the day, such as a night when all the air-conditioners around town are not running at full throttle (during the day), helping to maintain usage around the clock.
J.W.

/ Cost of Electricity #6  
Reliant here in Houston charges you three ways. The first 250 KWH is $0.019694, 250 -800 KWH is $0.067424 and then they nail you a fuel factor of $0.032716 per KWH. They helpfully add a line on the bottom stating that the average price per KWH in Febuary was $0.092. Being that we don't have a meter charge or extra taxes I guess that isn't bad.

/ Cost of Electricity #7  
you gave a figure of $120 per month, but what actually is that for? do u heat with electric? my average electic bill is about $60.00 a month, but heat, kitchen stove, clothes dryer are gas. and of course that is just me and the bride, all the kids are gone, and we both work, so we are gone a good part of the day.

/ Cost of Electricity #8  
mine last month was .092 everything elec. we 've had some storms so everybody has to pay for the overtime /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cost of Electricity
Frank,

We run electric for stove, clothes dryer, and have a storage freezer ( upright type ), plus the usual lights and tvs etc.. Heat and hot water is by oil ( don't even ask about that price /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif ).

I'm not really complaining about the price...I was just trying to see where the rest of the country is for comparision. I feel that for the reliability and quality of my power supply ( no outages longer than 2 hours in last 5 years ) its worth the price.

/ Cost of Electricity #10  
tc35: the $120 don't sound to bad then. electric cost are like everything else, very dependant on the area of the country. gasoline around here is average $1.80 for reg. unleaded some places it is $2.00. go figure. can imagine the price of oil, natural gas ain't much better. me and the wife keep our heat low and try to conserve, it ain't to bad, when i am on the computer all i have to do i scrape the ice off the monitor every once in awhile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif