A little rant

/ A little rant #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
About a month ago I stopped in at a local dealer that sells trailers, mini excavators and Kubota tractors and inquired about a used mini excavator and a new dump trailer. The salesman told me about a used unit they had coming in as soon as they got the new Bobcat in to give the guy and as soon as it was in they would call me and let us know. He knew we were serious as we were currently renting a machine from someone else but wanted our own.

Well we don't hear nothing from him for a couple weeks and finally stop in and visit him again as we see the used unit on their yard. The salesman informs me he forgot about us and already sold the machine but that he was getting another unit in soon just as soon as they find another new Bobcat to give the guy. We then discuss a new Kubota vineyard tractor and again I express the fact I need this tractor before spring. He runs the numbers for me and tells me that we would have the first shot at the mini when it gets in.

Well a week goes by and were in need of an excavator and don't want to rent one again so I call the salesman and he tells me their still trying to find a new Bobcat still to complete the deal but he will call me in two days and if I don't hear from him to call him. He then proceeds to tell me the guy that was buying the other mini we were originally told about is backing out of the deal and wants to buy a different unit. Now the first machine was around $10k and open station with high hours and possibly a grey market unit. The newer used unit was $20k with cab/heat and AC and around 2000 hours and much better suited for our use and desire. I told him I was more interested in the unit we were waiting for and wanted to see it first before deciding.

So two days pass and I don't hear from him so I call his cell on the third day and leave a message. I don't hear from him so I call again 4 days later and he still won't answer so I left another message to which I have not been called back. So I am starting to think they sold the better mini to the guy who originally bought the first mini out from under us. All I can assume is he is a friend of theirs but I do know I am done trying to deal with these guys. The Kubota vineyard tractor is going to come from Messicks anyway now, the dump trailer is coming from a different dealer and I am going to start looking further away to find a suitable mini excavator. The more I try to deal with local companies the more disappointed I am. I do have a great relationship with the local Case-IH dealer and do well with the local JD dealer but they actually honor their word and if they tell you they will sell you something they actually call when its in or when they find something I am looking for.

I never thought it would be so difficult to spend around $75k at one local dealership but I guess they don't need the business :rolleyes:

/ A little rant #2  
Let the owners know what has transpired, and that they have lost you as a customer.

/ A little rant #3  
Let the owners know what has transpired, and that they have lost you as a customer.

Fully agree..Owners don't like to hear any of that, unless they are just as bad (rare). I blew up at a car dealer once due to some scumbag sales manager and salesman throwing my keys on the roof and preventing me from leaving (an old dealer saying about hanging on to the trade in keys)...

The owner called me the next day and tried to make it right...Tell the owner.

/ A little rant #4  
Robert, The sad thing is most people don't value other people words - not like years ago when you said something your words were gospel and a handshake sealed the deal.
Unfortunately you weren't taken seriously... fortunately you moved on. Something better will come. Always does. I would still talk to the owners. In the doom and gloom of the economy today - no one - can afford to turn away business. I tell ya if a client was going to offer me $75k I would be jumping through hoops and making sure they were absolutely satisfied...
I would be doing after sales checks as well just to show my appreciation!

Good luck... something better will develop!

/ A little rant #5  
Hello Robert in NY;
I have had great luck with Construction Equipment For Sale at MachineryTrader.com: Dozers, Scrapers, Wheel Loaders, Excavators, Motor Graders, Caterpillar, Komatsu, Case, John Deere, Volvo. There is a huge selection of machines, you decide how far how many $$$ and what shape, size etc..you want. I looked at well over 100 excavators in our area and have been VERY happy with my results. I found machines with low hrs and was treated professionally by the different folks I went to. I'm not saying every single person on the site will be professional, but with the amount of choices one has it sure makes things much easier. Also you can see what an average price for a machine should be compared to many of the local stealers bull.

/ A little rant #6  
I think when you get any of your new buys...make sure you swing by that dealership on the the way home to see if there's any maintenance items you may need to get for it.

Park out front where they can all see it. If anyone asks about your new equipment, just put on a big smile, thrust out your chest, and tell them what a good deal you got and it was just what you were looking for. And do they have so and so filter for it?...

And if no one says anything...go get that salesman and show him the great buy you got and you wanted to let him know that he does not need to look anymore for that kind of equipment you were wanting since you got a great deal on one...but do they have so and so filter for it? As for other equipment, mention that you have a good lead on whatever it is and may need a part or two...do they carry parts for them?

/ A little rant #7  

I never thought it would be so difficult to spend around $75k at one local dealership but I guess they don't need the business :rolleyes:

Run away.

Give your business to someone who cares.

Given how much time you have spent on this I would send a letter to the owner.

When I was tractor shopping I looked at JD, Kubota, and NH. I stopped at a NH/Kubota dealer one day and looked over the tractors. I talked to the "sales" man, retired USAF NCO, to get prices. Long story short, I am still waiting for prices.

I think the company sold mostly commercial grade backhoes and selling tractors was not something they cared about. So I bought from someone who did care.

Loosing a sale is bad. Real bad. Loosing a sale in this economy is mind boggling.

Later,
Dan

/ A little rant #8  
Why waste your time contacting the owner of the business? Either he knows what his sales people are doing and doesn't care, or he's cluelss and doesn't get it. Either way,it's not worth the price of a stamp,or the time it takes to write the letter.

You learned you lesson about the dealership without spending a buck. Just think if you had bought from them, and then learned this lesson the hard way like you did with your tractor?

There are so many mini excavators out there to choose from, it's a buyers market and the options are just amazing.

Good luck and let us know what you get!!!!

Eddie

/ A little rant #9  
I would opt to ALWAYS give your thoughts and feedback to the top. In this case negative feedback may be appreciated.

People and Businesses are dynamic, one never knows what is happening from the outside looking in.

It is said, upper level management when looking at issues or situations is really only dealing with something like 5 to 10 percent of the information.

/ A little rant #10  
Fully agree..Owners don't like to hear any of that, unless they are just as bad (rare). I blew up at a car dealer once due to some scumbag sales manager and salesman throwing my keys on the roof and preventing me from leaving (an old dealer saying about hanging on to the trade in keys)...

The owner called me the next day and tried to make it right...Tell the owner.

Pretty low and it still happens... just like running a credit report without permission.

The last time they tried that to a friend... she said, that's ok... I have a spare key and if my key isn't hand delivered to my home today... I calling the police, having the locks changed and your paying for it.

She also wanted a factory sun roof... it was very important to her... the Dealer said he can have a factory sun roof here in the morning... he was full of it... he was going to take the car to the "Sun Roof" factory...

Mute point... Dealership of 35 years closed a few months later and the District Attorney was investigating...