Trickle Charger Question

/ Trickle Charger Question #22  
:DShe might hate a disconnect switch..shed lose all her stations on the radio......you know all the acid rock and punk stations :laughing: :laughing:

/ Trickle Charger Question #23  
I've maintain a number of vehicles that are seldom used...

The longest I had a car parked and it started was 13 months for a 72 Plymouth Valiant... it wasn't planned that way... it just was over a year before I got back to where it is stored.

My brother and another friend of his have late model Chryslers and on several ocasions, when the cars were still new, the batteries would not hold enough of a charge in as little as 3 weeks storage to start.

Dealer said this is normal and they even sold Tenders at the parts counter... he bought the one with the cigarette lighter adaptor...

Fire House also keeps chargers plugged in at all times in the station house... these trucks are on the go a lot... only takes someone leaving on a light or radio to cause a no start condition...

I must own more than 20 chargers with most being tenders... 6v, 8v and 12v

/ Trickle Charger Question #24  
So a battery should never go dead no matter how long it sits?

Lead acid batteries self-discharge about 1% capacity per month with nothing attached to them.

/ Trickle Charger Question
Thanks guys. The problem actually worked itself out. There was a lead coming off the negative terminal that attached to the front frame within easy reach of the charger negative lead. I just hooked it where this ground wire attached to the frame and the charger is working.

/ Trickle Charger Question #26  
You can blow up a battery this way. I have done it. I have one of these chargers and it has a lead kit install for the battery if you want to check it out. Save A Battery

Blow up a battery by charging it. Sure, it can happen but it's rare. Your alternator charges the battery every time the engine runs.
We're not talking about converting some off the shelf battery charger here, we're talking about a trickle type battery maintainer just like the one in your video.

/ Trickle Charger Question #27  
Your battery shouldn't go dead if it is really that new. First have it check at a battery store. There are many places to choose from and it is a simple test. You shouldn't get charged. If your alternator and battery are good, the 1.5 trickle charger is fine to leave on indefinitely and can be connected directly to both posts without a problem. That is what they are made for and intended purpose. You should be fine from here on out.

/ Trickle Charger Question #28  
my 2 cents worth-

Yes you CAN get a spark hooking up a charger that is not plugged in- IF it has a capacitor in the output circuit.

Yes a modern vehicle CAN drain the battery in even just a few weeks let alone months.

NO you do not want to disconnect the battery to stop this. Besides the obvious clock and radio settings- many modern vehicles have to relearn the engine/transmission strategy when powered back up. Some vehicles even have a specific sequence to follow regarding letting it idle for a certain amount of time and driving it in a certain way until all is relearned. They will eventually relearn just by normal use but may operate poorly and shift funny until they do. Of course letting the battery go dead causes the same thing...

George solved his problem with the ground attachment but his idea of moving air over the battery to disperse and hydrogen before hookup would work. If the battery is not being charged or discharged at the time or very recently the gas would not be present anyway...

One last thing- I'd run the plug from the charger in such a way (perhaps in the grille) that it is secured to the front of the vehicle with a tie wrap so when she inevitably forgets to unplug it just yanks the cord out harmlessly when she backs out If you want to spend money there even vehicle powered cord ejectors that do this automatically;)