Hay scam

/ Hay scam #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
The othe day I was baling some hay for work. I split it on the halves after getting 120 from that feild with the mini baler plus 20 on another site. I dont have anything that eats hay so I wanted to keep 15 bales for utility purposes and donate the rest to Texas or Arkansas. I had a friend that got me intouch with a so called charity group came up here in a semi with a 53 foot flatbed and one with a van trailer and hay grinder. The owner or bossman seemed to be shady.

My friend had already gotten a couple trucks and small farmers that had any spare hay to meet in a parking lot and unload. I had 60 bales on my 16 foot trailer. and the grinder went down. They were blowing some of the hay into the van. THe whole crew looked like thugs. My friend heard one talking about how much his share from the deal was gonna be at 350 dollars a ton.

One of my friends had hes FIL run the mans tag number and sure enough he had a long rap sheet for fraud. Before the grinder was back going He was questioned and My friends FIL had called the Texas Bureau of Investigation and An agricultural board. This man had been running a hay scheme getting free hay and back hauling it and selling instead of donating. I noticed he was gone yesterday..

One of my friends trucking companies deadheads that way and we sent 63 large rounds and 100 squares and 60 mini rounds THe otherday. I wished we had more this year to seend.

/ Hay scam #3  
Thank you Taylor.:thumbsup: Your heart was in the right place. You also took the time and effort to put these guys out of business, or at least slow them down. Ranchers are stuggling here, but you can bet they will return the favor in later years when the shoe is on the other foot.

/ Hay scam #4  
Hopefully they will permanently be put out of business. One question remains? Who were they selling the end product to for $350.00 a ton? Do landscaping companies charge that much in your part of the Country?:tractor:

/ Hay scam #5  
Hay shot up here big time over summer, started out around $120/ton and then it went crazy after 2nd cutting. Some people were asking $230 to $350 a ton :confused2: Supposedly a lot got shipped out to TX or thereabouts and also a lot of hay ground was supposedly planted to corn since prices were up. Lots of screaming on CL about 'hay gougers'. I sold all mine for $120 a ton to a single mom raising meat goats and sheep, she bought my first cut and spoke for the rest. I haven't paid my custom cutter yet so I may have lost my butt by not following the market.

In TX $350/ton shipped in probably sounds like a screaming deal. Sadly I think that 'wherever there is need, there is greed' applies here.

/ Hay scam #6  
I see a lot of hay headed down towards Texas.It is loaded as the large round bales. It was pretty cheap here this year, so i supposed the difference in price will pay for transport?

/ Hay scam
It wasnt me it was a combination of several folks working together. They had alot of folks fooled on the charity part. I kinda figured his outfit was flyby as the trucks barely looked like they could have made a ten mile trip. The grinder was junk and the workers looked thuggish lol. THe nicest thing he had was his truck. I think it always comes back to you what ever you do. Durning the bad Ice storm in 94 folks here were hurting. A man in town that was supposedly deacon started charging 5 dollars a gallon for kerosene and 50cents a gallon for water from his stores faucet. He had 2 gas stations in town after that for many years he steadily lost business and finally folded. THe stations that kept their prices regular priced are still around today.

/ Hay scam #8  
It wasnt me it was a combination of several folks working together. They had alot of folks fooled on the charity part. I kinda figured his outfit was flyby as the trucks barely looked like they could have made a ten mile trip. The grinder was junk and the workers looked thuggish lol. THe nicest thing he had was his truck. I think it always comes back to you what ever you do. Durning the bad Ice storm in 94 folks here were hurting. A man in town that was supposedly deacon started charging 5 dollars a gallon for kerosene and 50cents a gallon for water from his stores faucet. He had 2 gas stations in town after that for many years he steadily lost business and finally folded. THe stations that kept their prices regular priced are still around today.
I tend to agree. What comes around goes around. "Treat others as you would want them to treat you" is the way my Parents raised us.

/ Hay scam #9  
Thank you Taylor.:thumbsup: Your heart was in the right place. You also took the time and effort to put these guys out of business, or at least slow them down. Ranchers are stuggling here, but you can bet they will return the favor in later years when the shoe is on the other foot.

Ditto.... Thanks Taylor for your efforts are appreciated. It's funny how scammers all seem to look the same and give off a hincky feeling.

Charlie

/ Hay scam #10  
Ditto what Jinman said. Good on ya!