How to tell if a tree is veneer quality.

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality. #1  

Bob77064

Elite Member
Tractor
2011 LS R3039
There is a big white oak tree on my property . The base is almost 10 feet across. The tree is on a hill which is eroding. It is in danger of falling over and doing a lot of damage. How can I tell if this tree is veneer quality and what could it be worth?

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality.
Thank youi for the link.

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality. #4  
If that doesn't help you you can always search on Google. There are probably some great articles out there to help you out.

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality. #5  
There is a big white oak tree on my property . The base is almost 10 feet across. The tree is on a hill which is eroding. It is in danger of falling over and doing a lot of damage. How can I tell if this tree is veneer quality and what could it be worth?

Most buyers won't touch trees from peoples yards, and in this economy it's a buyers market.

Might be worth more to you as firewood.

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality. #6  
We had trouble getting them to cut large oaks that had entirely pulled the roots over in straightline winds. Seems the wood prices weren't high enough?

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality. #7  

10' across? You sure about that? 120" diamaeter? One trunk on a white oak?

We need pictures, man!!! :laughing:

Seeriously, that would be one huge tree.

Verneer timber is typically tall, straight, no knots or branches, etc...

A really large tree like you describe would most likely be full of holes, hollows, rot, etc...

Again, I would love to see pictures. Not to prove my point or anything... I just really like to look at huge old trees. There aren't many around. Have you considered entering it in a contest. Most areas have contests for largest species. You get bragging rights as having the largest white oak in your area until it dies or someone finds one bigger. :)

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality. #8  
10' across? You sure about that? 120" diamaeter? One trunk on a white oak?

<snip>

Again, I would love to see pictures. Not to prove my point or anything... I just really like to look at huge old trees. There aren't many around. Have you considered entering it in a contest. Most areas have contests for largest species. You get bragging rights as having the largest white oak in your area until it dies or someone finds one bigger. :)

I'm not sure where on the trunk the circumference is measured when determining record trees, but the Wye Oak was at one time the largest recorded white oak with a circumference of 31'10" (diameter = 10.13 feet).
Maryland State Tree - White Oak

In my former life, I routinely walked past the largest bur oak in SC. Clemson Newsroom.

Steve

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality. #9  
I'm not sure where on the trunk the circumference is measured when determining record trees, but the Wye Oak was at one time the largest recorded white oak with a circumference of 31'10" (diameter = 10.13 feet).
Maryland State Tree - White Oak

In my former life, I routinely walked past the largest bur oak in SC. Clemson Newsroom.

Steve

Wow! That is just plain huge! I would like to see pictures of it. Better yet, see it in person.

/ How to tell if a tree is veneer quality. #10  
Wow! That is just plain huge! I would like to see pictures of it. Better yet, see it in person.

Have you ever seen Angel Oak down here in the Lowcountry of SC?

Attachments

• angeloak-home.jpg
    angeloak-home.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 365