Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
Was kind of disappointed when checking out at Lowe's building supplies tonight. Told the cashier I had my DD214 for the military discount and she stated Lowe's will no longer be honoring the everyday discount for honorably discharge regular vets as they had done for the several years that I had been shopping at that store. She was sincerely apologetic and felt bad for the affected customers about the decision corporate had made. If I understood her correctly the everyday discount will apply only to active, reservists, disabled service members, and retired. However during patriotic/military holidays regular vets with the DD214 will be included.

I may be out of the Air Force for some 40 years, but I really did appreciate a cashier thanking me for my service to country, a thanks that a lot of us didn't hear coming back from a tour in Southeast Asia.

I don't usually shop Home Depot, but wonder if they've changed their military discount policy also.

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #2  
I think they should be ashamed .. After all you are a veteran and still have other privledges? Am I wrong?

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #3  
I will accept that the housing industry has suffered lately, but contractors are not the only people that buy materials from Lowe's. I would calculate a guess and state that the majority of the people that shop at Lowe's are probably just ordinary working people. I was not aware of any discount offered by Lowe's and there are probably many more like me that were unaware of the discount. The loss of profits would certainly not be that great to necessitate the discontinuation of the discount. Just my thoughts.:(

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #4  
I doubt it has much to do with the military discount but Lowe's recently shut down 3 stores here in NH. I'm sure corporate is doing everything they can to save profits...

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #5  
That stinks.

I Just learned they had one, and I just used it for the very first time. I was planning all my shopping at Lowe's from now on and even put my old military ID in my wallet.

Times are tough, but this stinks. I've spent MANY $1,000's at Lowes for the last 10 years or more never using the discount even when I was active in the guard! Now that I lear about it, I've lost it.

:(

Such is life,
David

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #6  
Was kind of disappointed when checking out at Lowe's building supplies tonight. Told the cashier I had my DD214 for the military discount and she stated Lowe's will no longer be honoring the everyday discount for honorably discharge regular vets as they had done for the several years that I had been shopping at that store. She was sincerely apologetic and felt bad for the affected customers about the decision corporate had made. If I understood her correctly the everyday discount will apply only to active, reservists, disabled service members, and retired. However during patriotic/military holidays regular vets with the DD214 will be included.

I may be out of the Air Force for some 40 years, but I really did appreciate a cashier thanking me for my service to country, a thanks that a lot of us didn't hear coming back from a tour in Southeast Asia.

I don't usually shop Home Depot, but wonder if they've changed their military discount policy also.

Sorry, but its old news, if you have been getting the discount for the past year or so, your store is behind. 2nd paragraph...

'LOWE?S EXPANDS SUPPORT OF THE MILITARY WITH YEAR-ROUND DISCOUNT

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #7  
The policy as I understand it has always been as TonyF posted, but some stores bend the rules to include all veterans. However, on a trip to Home Depot in the spring of this year, I was told by a cashier that HD only gives the discount to active, retired, and veterans on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veteran's Day weekends. When I stated that Lowes gives the discount year-round to active duty and retirees, she said she could give me a "competitive discount" and promptly deducted 10%.:D

Sears also gives the 10% active/retiree/disabled vet discount even on sales items. I bought a front loading washing machine on sale and saved enough to buy the pedestal with the sale and military discount. A small Sears store and Lowes are directly across the street from each other here and I shop at both. I try to make sure each time I shop to say thanks for supporting veterans. I found out that Sears continues salary and benefits for employees who are in the Guard and Reserve and called to active duty. That's an outstanding policy in my opinion.

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #8  
Lowes is closing some of the poorer performing stores, due to the economy.

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #9  
I'm retired military (30+ years), and I really don't know of any store that extends a military discount beyond active duty, reserve, national guard, or retired.

The discount is a privilege that they don't have to do, and I'm grateful for it. I used it this evening to pick up some lighting for my wife's shop.

I absolutely do not want to diminish the service of "short-timers", but it really isn't the same as currently serving, or giving a life-time of service.

If you really want to get my goat up, let's talk about flag-wavers like Tractor Supply that don't even offer the discount on Veterans Day.

/ Lowe's Veterans Discount Policy Change #10  
Yeah, got no use for TSC either in this regard. Once I asked about the discount and received the most "dumb/are you serious" look from cashier. No clue.

To Al Yelvington--I hear what you're saying about a lifetime of service and short timers being different. But, I have to disagree a bit, there are a lot of so-called "short-timers (that is less than career types) who would have gladly stayed were it not for the wounds they received on duty, as in my case, as an infantry solider in Vietnam. We did not give a "lifetime of service," but obviously our actions prove we were prepared to give our life to our Service.

So, yes, I feel I gave enough to not feel bad about asking for the discounty.

As an aside, I have regularly been given the 10% discount at any Lowes I've been to while using my VA ID. This week, I was a Home Depot and asked about the discount, after reviewing my VA ID, she said "for that one we give a discount." When I asked what she meant, she said for VA ID's with "SC" they give the discount.

Guess some story vary, this was at an HD right near Ft Jackson.