Heart Healthy Eating

/ Heart Healthy Eating #11  
Txdon gotcha no cholesterol, that is a tough one. Good luck

/ Heart Healthy Eating #12  
looks like you've done your research. i wish you luck in your recovery. can't really offer anything as i havn't crossed that rode yet. my father had a heart attack in his mid forties which is where i'm at now. i did order some teff which is a high protein grain from etheopia. i had seen it on a tv show recently and thought i'd give it a try. kinda like oatmeal but alittle gritty. eating right is sooooo boring.
steve

/ Heart Healthy Eating
Maybe it's time for a visit to a qualified Dietician.:thumbsup:

Been there done that.

Some dietitians only try to limit the risk factors and use the American Heart Association guidelines. These have failed for me and others. Other dietitians are not afraid to tell you what you must do to reverse heart disease. You can pick your dietitian to match what you want to do, not what you need to do. Sometimes you just want to take control of your life and know the facts whether they are pretty or not.

Last edited:
   / Heart Healthy Eating
looks like you've done your research. ..... eating right is sooooo boring.
steve

Had a laugh on the boring part, you are sooooo right. However A few of us here will try to spice it up a bit, and make the best of it. Thanks for being part of this thread. My Grandfather died at 63 after a long battle with heart disease, I had my heart attack at 56. He ate hog lard, I grew up with trans fat.....

/ Heart Healthy Eating #15  
i think julia child would only use lard. that's all the flavor!

/ Heart Healthy Eating
Brin, I'll have to try that for an evening snack, I'll see if our Sam's has the edamame beans. It seems almost too simple but then it is a good substitution for eating something like peanuts. I wonder how Bird would like them.:D

ForgeBlast, I'll try that recipe, I like quinoa. The only modification is leaving out the oil and that should not affect the taste.

/ Heart Healthy Eating
TBDonnelly you were asking about substitutions on the other thread I'll answer you here.

A butter/oil substitute I just got from a fellow runner, but have not yet tried, is "Sunsweet lighter bake". It's in the cooking section near oils in our grocery store (HEB). Some pictures below.

Also you can use equal portions of applesauce for oil substitutions.

For egg substitution I use 2 TBsp corn starch OR 1 TBsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 TBsp water.

I have been looking and have not found a good substitution for cream cheese that is both dairy and oil free.

I searched today but our store does not carry the baking raisins. I'll have to wait till we go to the big town for that.

Attachments

• sunsweet1.jpg
    sunsweet1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 89
  • sunsweet2.jpg
    sunsweet2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 92
  • sunsweet3.jpg
    sunsweet3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 86
   / Heart Healthy Eating #19  
Your brain needs cholesterol to function. You should look into arginine. Opens the blood vessels.

Last edited:
   / Heart Healthy Eating #20  
We have been using 1T flaxseed meal + 3T water for an egg substitute and it works well. Flaxseed and a little water, mixed into a paste, works good for 'greasing' pans for baking.

Regarding boring... I was a big time meat eater for 47 years. Still crave meat and most likely always will. Don and others have said it several different ways, but this lifestyle change (it really isn't a diet) is pretty painless compared to being sawed in half and having arteries torn out of my leg for bypass. This is the only known method found to be successful in reversing arterial blockage, and I'm believer enough after about a month to say I plan on sticking with it. Yes, sometimes I think it's pretty boring, but not compared to the other options.

If you had asked me four years ago if I would ever do anything like this I would have said - It would be a cold day, might as well build the box. Guess things have changed a bit since then.

Also, thanks again to Don for posting the info on this subject. Not out of the woods yet, but I feel much better than the past couple of years.

Greg