Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Veteran Member The Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,293
    Location
    Benton, Maine
    Tractor
    2008 T2220

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    Works in any temperature.

    Good point!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

  2. #12
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    163
    Location
    Ozark Alabama
    Tractor
    07 Kubota L3400

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    here's my .02 also. I think as a nation we need to look at CNG, we are the Saudia Arabia of Natural Gas. May not be for everyone but would sure make us less dependent on the Middle East. Would really like to hear from guys out there using it.

  3. #13
    Super Member 5030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,145
    Location
    Michigan, S.E. Monroe County
    Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    Actually, you 02 is well taken. The largest consumer of motor fuel in this country is heavy duty trucks. All the engine manufacturers already have their diesels converted (and available) to run on LP or CNG. They are sold for hazardous location use.

    You'll see a conversion (in the coming years) to alternate fuels as the infrastructure for fueling is perfected. That is the big hangup. Right now, fueling isn't as simple as sticking the dispensing nozzle in the fuel tank and pumping a couple hundred gallons. It's deemed much more complex and not user friendly.

    Engine manufacturers can't get the emissions any cleaner using diesel fuel without the cost being prohibitive and engine life decreasing exponentially.
    A couple Kubota's and some payment books.....
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Hooked_on_HP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,043
    Location
    Coal City IL
    Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    Quote Originally Posted by 5030 View Post
    Actually, you 02 is well taken. The largest consumer of motor fuel in this country is heavy duty trucks. All the engine manufacturers already have their diesels converted (and available) to run on LP or CNG. .
    Where did you get your info. We have been checking into this at work and all the manufacturers we have talked to (Peterbilt, Kenworth and International) say there is not a true natural gas engine developed yet.You cannot order a truck with an engine that runs on natural gas. What is out there are conversions that are inefficient and unreliable. We can get a grant from the state to put in a fueling station if we will sell to other users.
    Bill

  5. #15

  6. #16
    Super Member 5030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,145
    Location
    Michigan, S.E. Monroe County
    Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked_on_HP View Post
    Where did you get your info. We have been checking into this at work and all the manufacturers we have talked to (Peterbilt, Kenworth and International) say there is not a true natural gas engine developed yet.You cannot order a truck with an engine that runs on natural gas. What is out there are conversions that are inefficient and unreliable. We can get a grant from the state to put in a fueling station if we will sell to other users.
    Bill
    That's because you are talking to truck builders and not engine builders.

    When you require an alternate fuel engine, your starting place is the engine manufacturer, not the vehicle builder.

    DDEC (Detroit Diesel), Cummins and Volvo engine division all have NG and LPG engines.

    .....they have been building them for a number of years for hazardous duty locations and the Federal Government orders them as well.

    Interestingly, we just got in a number of fully hybrid electric UPS delivery trucks. Interesting animal. We ( the company I work for) is the 'go to' people for alternate fuel vehicles and engines in this area, actually the whole midwest.

    Keep in mind that all the manufacturers you list only use components sourced from elsewhere under their sheet metal.

    As an aside, gaseous vapor from liquid storage was perfected a long time ago. Look under the hood (or seat) of any forklift and you'll see an alternate fueled engine.

    Diesels do need an auxillary means of ignition to combust alternate fuel but like I said above, it's already there.,
    A couple Kubota's and some payment books.....
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Hooked_on_HP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,043
    Location
    Coal City IL
    Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    Quote Originally Posted by 5030 View Post
    That's because you are talking to truck builders and not engine builders.

    When you require an alternate fuel engine, your starting place is the engine manufacturer, not the vehicle builder.

    DDEC (Detroit Diesel), Cummins and Volvo engine division all have NG and LPG engines.

    .....they have been building them for a number of years for hazardous duty locations and the Federal Government orders them as well.

    Interestingly, we just got in a number of fully hybrid electric UPS delivery trucks. Interesting animal. We ( the company I work for) is the 'go to' people for alternate fuel vehicles and engines in this area, actually the whole midwest.

    Keep in mind that all the manufacturers you list only use components sourced from elsewhere under their sheet metal.

    As an aside, gaseous vapor from liquid storage was perfected a long time ago. Look under the hood (or seat) of any forklift and you'll see an alternate fueled engine.

    Diesels do need an auxillary means of ignition to combust alternate fuel but like I said above, it's already there.,
    I just checked Cummins.com and Detroitdiesel.com and neither has any info on NG engines.
    Bill

  8. #18
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,829
    Location
    Iuka Mississippi USA
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    Caterpillar even though they are out of the truck engine business has several NG engines for genset uses.

  9. #19
    Elite Member Dmace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,838
    Location
    Wakefield, NH
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked_on_HP View Post
    Where did you get your info. We have been checking into this at work and all the manufacturers we have talked to (Peterbilt, Kenworth and International) say there is not a true natural gas engine developed yet.You cannot order a truck with an engine that runs on natural gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked_on_HP View Post
    I just checked Cummins.com and Detroitdiesel.com and neither has any info on NG engines.
    Cummins Westport • Natural Gas Engines Engine Info

    Cummins Westport • Find a Truck/Bus OEM. Truck's with engine from factory.

    We have a Kenworth T440 dump in our fleet which is Natural Gas powered, I have never driven it but it seems to work just as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    May work in Arkansas, but it doesn't work in the north country. LP won't vaporize or flow when it gets cold and the vehicles won't start. One of the local school districts spent thousands of dollars converting their buses to find this out. Then they spent thousands more converting them back.
    Tell that to the 500 gallon propane tank sitting out in the -10F temp feeding my Honda powered 24hp 12kw standby generator that will start in the coldest and harshest weather (which is always when the power goes out) and it will stay running for hours, days or even weeks at a time. That generator sits outside in the weather also with nothing more than a battery trickle charger and oil heater.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

  10. #20
    Super Star Member Egon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    17,738
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada

    Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

    Redirect Notice


    Prime movers using Natural Gas have been around for many a year.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Here we go again, truck talk.
    By jcmseven in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM
  2. New build: power plant explosion
    By irwin in forum Safety
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
  3. Natural gas prices up 21% !!
    By coobie in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 10:08 AM
  4. Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?
    By phil tokish in forum General Vintage Tractors
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 11:37 AM
  5. Switching car to natural gas from gasoline?
    By coffeeman in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.