convert your truck to run on natural gas

/ convert your truck to run on natural gas #11  
Works in any temperature. :licking:

coal-briquettes-1.jpg

Good point! :D

/ convert your truck to run on natural gas #12  
here's my .02 also. I think as a nation we need to look at CNG, we are the Saudia Arabia of Natural Gas. May not be for everyone but would sure make us less dependent on the Middle East. Would really like to hear from guys out there using it.

/ convert your truck to run on natural gas #13  
Actually, you 02 is well taken. The largest consumer of motor fuel in this country is heavy duty trucks. All the engine manufacturers already have their diesels converted (and available) to run on LP or CNG. They are sold for hazardous location use.

You'll see a conversion (in the coming years) to alternate fuels as the infrastructure for fueling is perfected. That is the big hangup. Right now, fueling isn't as simple as sticking the dispensing nozzle in the fuel tank and pumping a couple hundred gallons. It's deemed much more complex and not user friendly.

Engine manufacturers can't get the emissions any cleaner using diesel fuel without the cost being prohibitive and engine life decreasing exponentially.

/ convert your truck to run on natural gas #14  
Actually, you 02 is well taken. The largest consumer of motor fuel in this country is heavy duty trucks. All the engine manufacturers already have their diesels converted (and available) to run on LP or CNG. .

Where did you get your info. We have been checking into this at work and all the manufacturers we have talked to (Peterbilt, Kenworth and International) say there is not a true natural gas engine developed yet.You cannot order a truck with an engine that runs on natural gas. What is out there are conversions that are inefficient and unreliable. We can get a grant from the state to put in a fueling station if we will sell to other users.
Bill

/ convert your truck to run on natural gas #16  
Where did you get your info. We have been checking into this at work and all the manufacturers we have talked to (Peterbilt, Kenworth and International) say there is not a true natural gas engine developed yet.You cannot order a truck with an engine that runs on natural gas. What is out there are conversions that are inefficient and unreliable. We can get a grant from the state to put in a fueling station if we will sell to other users.
Bill

That's because you are talking to truck builders and not engine builders.

When you require an alternate fuel engine, your starting place is the engine manufacturer, not the vehicle builder.

DDEC (Detroit Diesel), Cummins and Volvo engine division all have NG and LPG engines.

.....they have been building them for a number of years for hazardous duty locations and the Federal Government orders them as well.

Interestingly, we just got in a number of fully hybrid electric UPS delivery trucks. Interesting animal. We ( the company I work for) is the 'go to' people for alternate fuel vehicles and engines in this area, actually the whole midwest.

Keep in mind that all the manufacturers you list only use components sourced from elsewhere under their sheet metal.

As an aside, gaseous vapor from liquid storage was perfected a long time ago. Look under the hood (or seat) of any forklift and you'll see an alternate fueled engine.

Diesels do need an auxillary means of ignition to combust alternate fuel but like I said above, it's already there.,

/ convert your truck to run on natural gas #17  
That's because you are talking to truck builders and not engine builders.

When you require an alternate fuel engine, your starting place is the engine manufacturer, not the vehicle builder.

DDEC (Detroit Diesel), Cummins and Volvo engine division all have NG and LPG engines.

.....they have been building them for a number of years for hazardous duty locations and the Federal Government orders them as well.

Interestingly, we just got in a number of fully hybrid electric UPS delivery trucks. Interesting animal. We ( the company I work for) is the 'go to' people for alternate fuel vehicles and engines in this area, actually the whole midwest.

Keep in mind that all the manufacturers you list only use components sourced from elsewhere under their sheet metal.

As an aside, gaseous vapor from liquid storage was perfected a long time ago. Look under the hood (or seat) of any forklift and you'll see an alternate fueled engine.

Diesels do need an auxillary means of ignition to combust alternate fuel but like I said above, it's already there.,

I just checked Cummins.com and Detroitdiesel.com and neither has any info on NG engines.
Bill

/ convert your truck to run on natural gas #18  
Caterpillar even though they are out of the truck engine business has several NG engines for genset uses.

/ convert your truck to run on natural gas #19  
Where did you get your info. We have been checking into this at work and all the manufacturers we have talked to (Peterbilt, Kenworth and International) say there is not a true natural gas engine developed yet.You cannot order a truck with an engine that runs on natural gas.
I just checked Cummins.com and Detroitdiesel.com and neither has any info on NG engines.
Cummins Westport • Natural Gas Engines Engine Info

Cummins Westport • Find a Truck/Bus OEM. Truck's with engine from factory.

We have a Kenworth T440 dump in our fleet which is Natural Gas powered, I have never driven it but it seems to work just as well.
May work in Arkansas, but it doesn't work in the north country. LP won't vaporize or flow when it gets cold and the vehicles won't start. One of the local school districts spent thousands of dollars converting their buses to find this out. Then they spent thousands more converting them back.
Tell that to the 500 gallon propane tank sitting out in the -10F temp feeding my Honda powered 24hp 12kw standby generator that will start in the coldest and harshest weather (which is always when the power goes out) and it will stay running for hours, days or even weeks at a time. That generator sits outside in the weather also with nothing more than a battery trickle charger and oil heater.