Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV

Default convert your truck to run on natural gas

theres a dealer in Conway, Arkansas, that's installing kits to make trucks run on natural gas: cost is $10,000;
    and for a mere $5k more, you can buy a filling station to install at your house so you have a place to get NG: i REALLY want to do this, but not at anywhere near that price...
    heehaw

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Default Re: convert your truck to run on natural gas

Quote Originally Posted by heehaw View Post
    theres a dealer in Conway, Arkansas, that's installing kits to make trucks run on natural gas: cost is $10,000;
    and for a mere $5k more, you can buy a filling station to install at your house so you have a place to get NG: i REALLY want to do this, but not at anywhere near that price...
    heehaw
    May work in Arkansas, but it doesn't work in the north country. LP won't vaporize or flow when it gets cold and the vehicles won't start. One of the local school districts spent thousands of dollars converting their buses to find this out. Then they spent thousands more converting them back.
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Tractor
    2008 T2220

Ever tried grilling on the front porch when it is only 15f?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Haymaker View Post
    Ever tried grilling on the front porch when it is only 15f?
    Works in any temperature.

::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    jd 1070

Its NOT LP (propane) its high pressure (natural) gas. They have fleets of vehicles running on this stuff in Canada. GM makes/made production vehicles for running on this fuel. Mileage isn't so good because nat.gas doesn't have the energy content per unit that gasoline does. And of course there's the safety aspect of it should you be involved in a collision. Not sure what you would do if you run out. Range is limited to short hops.

$10,000 buys a LOT of gasoline.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

what kind of milage do you get out of it?

what is a reasonable storage capacity of a vehicle in respect to space requiremnts and miles ( ie.. we all know how big a 20g gas tank is, and how far it gets ya in the family truck / car )..

power issues with pulling? acceleration?

turbocharged?

soundguy

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

They are putting a few stations in a county above us that has a whole lot more natural gas wells in place.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

I'll throw my .02 in FWIW...I have 3 friends that have converted their vehicles. One is a Ford Super Duty V10, another is a Ram 2500 Cummins diesel, and the last is a Chevy Avalanche. They each spent around $3k for the conversion. I guess the big ticket item is a computer-controlled valve that does the fuel switching. They installed everything themselves, in fact, they are all good mechanics. They each have a 50lb tank located under the truck, between the frame rails...this gets them around town daily. They also have a pallet containing 3 horizontal 100lb tanks in case they need to take a road trip.
    As far as fuel economy goes, the equivalent mpg is roughly the same for the gas engines...a little less in the Ford, a little better in the Chevy. The overall fuel cost however is about 50%! It's different for the diesel, they supposedly get better mileage on the CNG due to how it's mixed. I looked at the oil in the Ford and at 5k miles, it was as clean as it was new. The tailpipe was absolutely clean too. I'd consider doing it if we had more CNG filling stations around me. The closest one at this time is about 20mi away.
    Kubota B-7800, LA402 FEL, 6' KK back blade, 5' Sevona tiller, Taylor-Way BB, BMB 5' Rotary Cutter,Arps 8' Rake, Landpride RFM, 16' ProTech 6 ton trailer

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

I knew he meant NG over LPG as well. However, there are quite a few obstacles concerning NG for fueling engines, most noteably is the pressure at which NG has to be stored for use versus LPG. LPG is about 80 PSI whereas NG is a couple thousand.

My hunting partner owns the LP company I buy from and he runs his vehicles on LP, including the Ford gas pickup we take up north hunting (read cold) and it starts on gasoline and automatically switches to LP. Has a heated intake system to vaporize the LP in cold weather.
    A couple Kubota's and some payment books.....
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i've worked on a few tractor engines that were lpg engines converted to gas later in life or when I got them.. and they were always cleaner than regular gasser engines.. etc.

soundguy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast