What is the name of this key

/ What is the name of this key #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
We call it Bosch key and it was widely used in ignition switch for motorcycles, military trucks and tractors back in the day - like after WWII. With a bit of clever hands it was possible to use a nail instead:)

Was it ever used in USA and what is the name for it, please?

Attachments

• bosak.JPG
    bosak.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 280
   / What is the name of this key #2  
That looks vaguely familiar, but at the same time, I can't recall seeing one or remember what it was for.

/ What is the name of this key #3  
Interesting , I have never seen that before.
Of course all that was before encoding and GPS tracking.

A fellow worker said his Father have a military jeep in Italy after the war and he needed a thieft deterent system. As it was stored at a mountain/ valley/ dead end road, he just removed the steering wheel.

Craig Clayton

/ What is the name of this key #4  
Looks like what's used as a standard electronic jack-- for stereos, headphones (old style, for sure!), mikes, guitar amps & such. Maybe that was the beginning of the "standard"? I think we used to call them just "1/4 inch jacks."

Yes, I still use them! (And yes, there's a Dual 1019 turntable and a Teac 7" reel-to-reel deck attached to that Kenwood, all operational and often used!:thumbsup:)

Attachments

• DSC03944.JPG
    DSC03944.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC03942.JPG
    DSC03942.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC03946.JPG
    DSC03946.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 112
   / What is the name of this key #5  
We call it Bosch key and it was widely used in ignition switch for motorcycles, military trucks and tractors back in the day - like after WWII. With a bit of clever hands it was possible to use a nail instead:)

Was it ever used in USA and what is the name for it, please?

Only key like that I have ever seen was used by Zetor.

/ What is the name of this key
One guy from motorcycle site knows:

it is called Bosch XOM1/XOM2 and apparently it was only on imports from Europe in USA. Makes it a safe lock for machinery now, doesn't it?

But it brought me to another question - was there ignition key for old cars? Say model T - did it have a keyed ignition?

/ What is the name of this key #8  
In 1939 they had keys that just turned the ignition on and off. Stomp starter on the floor.

/ What is the name of this key #9  
In 1939 they had keys that just turned the ignition on and off. Stomp starter on the floor.

There were some much later models than that with the starter under the clutch pedal; just turned the key on and pushed the clutch to the floor.

/ What is the name of this key #10  
There were some much later models than that with the starter under the clutch pedal; just turned the key on and pushed the clutch to the floor.

I think my older brother had a Buick automatic that had the starter button under the accelerator pedal. You had to have the transmission in neutral/park, and then you pressed the accel. pedal to the floor to start the engine.

Prokop: Did that key have to be turned, or just inserted? Did you have a separate starter button? The indent obviously opened some contacts and gave you tactile feedback. Perhaps the flange below the handle fit into a slot that turned when the internal mechanism was at the proper spacing. When I see something like that, I just wonder how it works.