Getting older and unable to drive

/ Getting older and unable to drive #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
I am not seeking advice here, just bringing up the subject. My 81 yr. old FIL was recently told by his primary care MD (who is also mine) that he is not to drive at all. Although he hasn't had a license, or even driven for close to 8 years, the fact he was told NOT TO by his doctor really threw him into a depression.

I am wondering just how I am going to react myself when my MD tells me the same thing...especially so when my wife and I don't have any kids to cart us around when we get too old to drive. Hmmm...better begin saving so we can use a taxi, I guess. Or move into one of those retirement communities.

Do any of you ever think about the same situation?

/ Getting older and unable to drive #2  
Of course we do and if we live long enough we all will face similar situations. Moving from our homes to a "facility" of sorts. My largest dread is when I will no longer be able to fly and I think it about more often that I should. Some of us can do things longer and better than others, partly through better lifetime choices and living and the luck of the genetic draw.

/ Getting older and unable to drive #3  
Of course I think about it, but I haven't come to any conclusions or had any great ideas. I'd be glad to hear what others think they'll do.

/ Getting older and unable to drive #4  
I don't know maybe get me one of those 45 mph tractors?

/ Getting older and unable to drive #5  
I'm going to let the BIG guy take care of it.

/ Getting older and unable to drive #6  
What Gizmo said,+ we are here to discuss it:)For me every day since 6:30 on 3-21-67 is a gift.
Army Grunt

/ Getting older and unable to drive #7  
My 92 year old mother got her drivers license renewed this summer. Yes she does still drives her Buick to the local market for fruits and vegetables. It's 3 blocks from her house. All other transportation is provided by me or someone else. I think with her is to not loose the freedom of mobility. When you loose the ability to drive you have lost a lot of freedom.

/ Getting older and unable to drive #9  
There have been times when certain things in life are thrown at us and we can no longer do things we once took for granted doing, it's called getting old ;) If the doc told your FIL to stop driving it was probably more for the benefit of his health rather than the fact that he can no longer drive safely,

The doctors order will most likely add life to his expectancy, Because as we all know Driving in todays traffic can be quit nerve racking and could well take a toll on an elderly person health, could bring on such things as a heart attach or a stroke etc,etc,..... I think we all can agree that if we didn't drive our lives would surely be less stressful, I know many of elderly ladies that never driven in their entire life, They lived well into their mid 90's ...

Actually from what I hear stress is the number one cause of heart attach's,

Story:
about 9 years ago My MIL was involved in a head on crash, she came around a curve when a elderly man in his mid 70's was on her side of the road driving erratically, according to a witness fallowing the man, said that the elderly man had been driving across the center line and running off the shoulder of the road for the 2 miles he had been following him, thought perhaps he was intoxicated, the elderly driver was killed in the accident,
He was check for alcohol but none was found......a family member said that seems he had let his diabetes get out of control and must have been disoriented or under epilepsy fit,..... Needless to say if his doctor would have ordered him not to drive who knows he might still be alive today:cool:.....
I think we all have a responsibility to take care of our health, our health can have an indirect effect on others, if we can accept what our doctors are telling us and that it is for our own good, then we might gain a few more years out of the deal, My MIL is still having to deal with the effect of that incident of the elderly man mistake of not taking care of himself and his medical/health issue,

/ Getting older and unable to drive #10  
Of course I think about it, but I haven't come to any conclusions or had any great ideas. I'd be glad to hear what others think they'll do.

You said it right because what one winds up doing and what they think they will when the time comes might be very different. Depends on your mental state at the time.

What I prefer to do, rather than thinking about the possibility of not getting around or driving or being unable yo do things, is think about all the people I know who have kept on going longer than many others.

Had an aunt who died at 99. She lived her final few years in an assisted living center but took the stairs every day and never the elevator. She drover herself, safely, from Waco to DFW into her early 90's. She gave up driving on her own and went into the center on her own. She was a wonderful lady who lived her Christian principles every day.

I had a neighbor who painted his large wood frame house with a brush and roller when he was 84. He climbed the ladder slowly but he got it done. Worked and lived well into his late 80's with no real issues.

My own grandparents on both sides lived and worked for a long time. One grandmother did well until she passed at 94. Still played a great game of dominoes. Her daughter turned 90 last year and takes no medicine and is very active. Still drives very well.

Several older people I know in their late 80's and mid 90's who are going strong. Working, active, tending cattle, running stores, doing ag work, being lawyers, businesses people most not even taking anything more than an occasional aspirin.

I'll concentrate on being like these people for as long as I can.