Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member

Default Craigs list Scam??

Does anyone ever get anything bought off of craigs list? I have found mostly scams or people changing their minds. I guess I am gonna give up. I thought it was just me until I talked to a aquaintence of mine who said basicly the same thing....
    Drove 1.5 hr last week to buy a compressor motor when I arived the guy jacked the price up 100.00, it was within 50.00 of new price??? WTF

I love the e-mail replies,,, I am currently out of the country but if you will just send the funds to x country we can proceed with the transaction..... Does this really still work??

Tractor
    None currently

Default Re: Craigs list Scam??

I've had mixed experiences both buying and selling on CL... as a buyer, obviously there are a variety of scams ranging from used junk that is ready for the dump to people trying to get you to send money and ship items to you.

As a seller, so many people call with interest but never follow-through... or say they're coming but never do. I've found that listing stuff in the free section yields much better results!
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad View Post
    As a seller, so many people call with interest but never follow-through... or say they're coming but never do. I've found that listing stuff in the free section yields much better results!
    I normally put that I will not respond unless they include a phone number. Sometimes I will respond, but it weeds out those who don't read the whole ad.
    Even with that, I have received many emails saying "I can come out tomorrow" who I email back telling them the address and hear nothing from.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Elite Member

I've had great luck with CL...... except for........ the internet scammers they really bunch my undies!

I've only bought and sold a couple of things but so far for the price it is worth it. I've even located free black locust trees for my personal milling limber

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
    Does anyone ever get anything bought off of craigs list?
    My wife and I just sold 11 acres that we advertised almost exclusively on craigslist. The deal went off without a hitch. I prepared a sales contract, got it signed, took it to a title company, hired a surveyor, and went to the title company for a closing all in just over 35 days. I had lots of folks contact me about that property and 95% of them were serious. I only had three calls that were from realtors wanting to list and those were very professional.

I bought a kubota diesel riding mower off of craigslist last fall. It needs a tiny bit of work, but the deal went very smooth and I'm happy with my purchase. The guy I bought from seemed to be a very nice guy who works on mowers on the side.

My wife and I bought a brand new home theater seating set with electric reclining seats from a local dealer who advertises exclusively on craigslist. The deal went off without a hitch. They even loaded the truck for me when we went to pick it up. It was a great value and a pleasant deal.

I drove up to Oklahoma to look at a tractor just east of Okla. City. When I got there the fellow showed me the tractor and it was as represented on craigslist, but it was just not what I wanted. I was up front and honest by telling him that after seeing the tractor I didn't really want it at any price. It just wasn't what I was looking for. He was pleasant and we talked for about 30 min. just shootin' the breeze. Nice fellow!

So, I know there are scams, but normally you can spot those. I think it would be very unfair to characterize craigslist as full of scam artists or people who will try to take you. That's just not been my experience. However, if it looks too good to be true. . . .
    Jim

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

I have purchased and sold on Craigslist. Looked at some stuff that ended up being not what I wanted but that's the chance you take. Have not had any negative experiences there and have even sold dirt on Craigslist!

Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
    Tractor
    Sold 2008 CK35 HST

My experience with Craigslist has been pretty positive. Have purchased some items from it but always looking out for a scam. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. I always physically look at the item before buying it. Two things I find is sold items do not get removed promptly from Craigslist or they just don't reply to your e-mail.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806

I have bought and sold off craigslist. No issues on either side. If I sell something, it is first come, first serve. Too many people won't show or show late. I will not hold any item for buyer unless there is a deposit. I do believe it is much easier to sell/buy on craigslist if a picture is included. Picture says a thousand words unless the item is very specific and in like new condition.

I had sold a truck once in the newspaper. Guy came, drove it and saw. Agreed on price. Was to pick it up the next and return with check. Never saw or heard again. 3 days later I sold it to another buyer. After that, my policy was deposit or it remains up for sale.

I did have a guy buy a used grill from me. Paid cash in full and was going to pick it up the next day. I didn't have his phone # or address. Nice guy. Never saw him again. Eventually, I gave it to my sister.

I sold my last home by myself and had previously used realtors. It really isn't that complicated. I got what I wanted and seller was also happy. Sold the house in one month. I am surprised, more people don't at least try selling their own home. I had 2 serious offers and only showed the house to 4 potential buyers. A 3rd potential buyer was pissed that I sold it. He was very interested and his parents lived a block away. He didn't have financing in order and I sold it to another. I figured I would list it in the paper for 2 months and then go with realtor if it didn't sell. A realtor doesn't know your house. I had purchased 2 prior homes through a realtor but when it comes to specifics, they have no answers. I can answer many more specifics than a realtor. Get the house and yard in good selling condition, get rid of the clutter, and make the decor and paint appeal to main stream buyers - neutral decor, paint ect. The biggest advantage of a realtor is the multiple listing service they can provide.

Tractor
    2010 Kioti DK40SE w/ KL401 Loader

I have basically the same info as most of the above. I buy and sell on craigslist quite a lot. Have never had even one bad experience. Have met with some really nice and honest folk. Actually I've had some good fun with it. I know the scams are out there but I guess I just have a knack for hitting it right, or just have been lucky.
    For a complete soul cleansing, spend the day on a tractor.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

CL's been good to me, both selling and buying.

Was interested in buying a sound system recently, but would have to drive 60 miles to see it. Seller was reluctant to give an address where he could show it, and/or demonstrate it. Was suggesting we meet at a fast food place. But I was getting an uncomfortable feeling as we emailed back and forth. He came down quite a bit in price, which also left me doubtful about the system. So I declined and let him know up front and to the point. Since has emailed me twice for more interest. I've not responded.

For selling, I've had very good responses. Have had to explain that the first money that shows up gets it. So much better responses than classified ads...which seem to be drying up fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast