Need Paypal help

/ Need Paypal help #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I need help/advise with paypal (NOT using them is not the advice i am looking for LOL)

I was nearing my initial paypal spending limit, so I created a checking acct with my credit union and put in $25 to keep it active.. I wanted to use my credit card as my primary payment method - but couldnt find that option BUT Paypal had a message at my first 2 purchases that said - IF you dont have enough money in the bank acct for your purchase we will just charge your credit card..

Well today I get a note from PP saying my second purchase was declined by the credit union but they will try again later... So I check my bank account and PP tried to deduct the full amount, but only got the $25 that was there.. So now my credit union hits me with an overdraft fee ($30) and $5/day (2 days so far before i caught it) overdraft fee... @#%!@&^%$@ paypal..

a google search shows that this is a VERY common PP issue.. Even when you select the CC as the method of payment at checkout..

Any thoughts on how to get them to charge the CC?

Can i delink the checking acct, or will add back the spending limit issue i had before I added the checking acct?

Has anyone used the Ebay gift cards?

Brian

/ Need Paypal help #2  
I just checked mine which is set up to use my chequing account as primary not a credit card. I imagine it'd be the same way should you want the cc to be your primary.
The setting is under My Profile/My Money and the settings are under the Update tab. I was going to change mine to make sure it worked but I decided not to just in case.
I remember a couple of years ago I did have my cc as the primary payment and have since changed it to my chequing account with no problem (at least none that I rememeber).....Mike

/ Need Paypal help #3  
I do not use paypal that much ... but I seem to recall when you get ready to pay for a purchase there is an option ... something like "Use the account on file" if you don't open that it goes to your default (bank) account ... you have to select the CC you have one file with them.

/ Need Paypal help #4  
Don't believe everything Paypal tells you. My general impression of them is that once they get your personal info they create secret barriers to prevent you from deleting it. They are a private company that operates like a bank but they aren't officially a bank so they don't have to follow normal banking laws.

"Can i delink the checking acct, or will add back the spending limit issue i had before I added the checking acct?"

I don't know about the spending limit. However I have both a checking account and credit card linked to PP. When I tried to delinked the checking account the PP acct became "unverified" (locked). I had to call them to get it "verified" again and they refused to delink the checking acct!

"Any thoughts on how to get them to charge the CC?"

When you buy something you should be presented with the option of paying with either your checking acct or credit card. I think they call it "changing your payment method" or words to that effect.

/ Need Paypal help
Let me add this - I did not realize that at some point in the checkout you have the option of selecting the method of payment.. I just assumed (and you know where that got me) they would do what they said and hit the CC when the bank acct didnt have enough money in it..

/ Need Paypal help
Don't believe everything Paypal tells you. My general impression of them is that once they get your personal info they create secret barriers to prevent you from deleting it. They are a private company that operates like a bank but they aren't officially a bank so they don't have to follow normal banking laws.

"Can i delink the checking acct, or will add back the spending limit issue i had before I added the checking acct?"

I don't know about the spending limit. However I have both a checking account and credit card linked to PP. When I tried to delinked the checking account the PP acct became "unverified" (locked). I had to call them to get it "verified" again and they refused to delink the checking acct!

"Any thoughts on how to get them to charge the CC?"

When you buy something you should be presented with the option of paying with either your checking acct or credit card. I think they call it "changing your payment method" or words to that effect.

I have heard horror stories about PP - but this was my first experience.. My first purchases was for more than I had in the checking acct and PP didnt cause an overdraft they just charged the CC - which is what I assumed they would do for the second as well..

When you open the acct you are given a credit limit for spending and once you reach that limit you MUST get 'verified' (IE link a bank acct).. The only reason i was close to hitting my initial spending limit was several uncommon large purchases (totally around $5,000).. without those purchases I probably would never hit my limit..

The real reason on wanting to remove the checking acct was that I read on a PP discussion group that ppl selecting a CC as payment but PP still used the bank acct.. BUT it looks like I wont be able to do that.

thanks

Brian

/ Need Paypal help #8  
I've used Paypal for over 10 years now and never had a problem. I did not ever link a bank account, just a credit card.

I always keep some money in my PP account from online sales that I do and I pay for many things directly out of this PP account using a PP debit card as a charge card. I get a 1 1/2% rebate on all purchases this way.

/ Need Paypal help #9  
I select the CC option or PP as some accept PP only.. Never any problems

/ Need Paypal help
Thanks for all the reasonable and sane replies.. On another forum I got accused of buying stuff I couldnt afford, told that I was hopeless, and how stupid i was..

Except for those 2 ppl on that PP forum, no one else has had issues with PP not using their chosen method of payment.. So from now on, i will just make sure I change the method of payment to the CC..

thanks

brian