Winch for boat trailer

/ Winch for boat trailer #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
This is the situation:

The boat is on the trailer and the idea is to pull the trailer out of the water with the boat and everything.

From what I understand the ramps in this area - Italy - are not build the way they are in the USA and backing to the water is typically risky. Besides they have an RV to pull the trailer and backing RV down the ramp is not a good idea anyway.

My suggestion - it is for my BIL - is to get 2 ton Warn (the brand has the best reputation in jeep world), synthetic line to save weight and snatch block to double the force.

But I never used winch for something like that, I am sure somebody on TBN will be able to help.

Thank you

/ Winch for boat trailer #2  
If the boat is already on the trailer in the water, you don't have to back the RV down the ramp. Keep the RV at the top of the ramp. Connect the winch between the RV and the trailer tongue, then pull up the trailer with the boat on it up out of the water. You can do this is stages if the cable is not long enough. Set some blocks behind the trailer wheels if you need to yank it in stages. Depending on the weight of the boat + trailer and the ramp angle, 4000 lbs may not be enough. Is it over 10,0000 lb boat or under?

I use this technique on my rig sometimes. You can't open the car doors on some shallow ramps or you will get flooded.

Last edited:
   / Winch for boat trailer #3  
I have never heard of pulling a loaded boat trailer out unattached to a tow vehicle??Would seem risky at best, then you have to get the trailer attached to a vehicle with the added weight of the boat, all the time keeping the center of gravity right so you can get the trailer tongue down.

Maybe I didn't understand the dilemma, no surprise there:laughing:

/ Winch for boat trailer #4  
Had a guy from Arkansas buy my 20 foot Sea Ark with trailer. He said he would launch the boat and trailer there and drive the boat with trailer attached to his home concrete ramp and there pull it all out with a winch. He used the winch to put the boat and trailer in and out of the water at his home on the lake because he had no way to get his vehicle to the water where he lived.I t was an easy way to keep the boat clean of bottom fouling from the water and something about he couldn't build a regular boathouse/lift where he lived.

/ Winch for boat trailer #5  
What about a sliding tong?
I've seen some on sailboat trailers because of the keel trailer was in water about 5' deep truck in same spot on ramp as outboard boat.
The would pull boat up to parking area and chock wheels on trailer and slide it back with the tow vehicle.

even 2 or 3 stage

tom

/ Winch for boat trailer
The total for trailer and boat is 2000 pounds. Sorry i didnt mentioned it right away.