Buried a good friend of mine today:

/ Buried a good friend of mine today: #11  
To each his own custom.

I view my body as merely a temporary container, with "me" inside. Like a house or a car. And when I am finished with it, part me out- there are lots of needy folks on the waiting lists.

If you want to be remembered after you are dead, then do something memorable while you are still alive.

/ Buried a good friend of mine today:
Thanks everybody, his passing is a
Blessing, his body was consumed with cancer. At 35 years of age it is tough to believe that I have to start thinking about this kind of thing! But it is a reality. I want to state that the reason for this post is to pick your brains, not to garner sympathy but all is appreciated

/ Buried a good friend of mine today: #13  
Thanks everybody, his passing is a
Blessing, his body was consumed with cancer. At 35 years of age it is tough to believe that I have to start thinking about this kind of thing! But it is a reality. I want to state that the reason for this post is to pick your brains, not to garner sympathy but all is appreciated

Understood, I lost my older brother to cancer when he was only twenty years old. I really didn't start thinking about this sort of thing too much until I was about thirty-three and nothing I can remember triggered it.

Whatever or however you feel about all this at your age may very well change, but it is certainly worth thinking about, just don't let it get to you too much long term.

I know at my age it is a lot easier to give advice on this and that it may seem pretty darned irrelevant to many.

/ Buried a good friend of mine today: #14  
If I had a friend to bury, and did not know his wishes, and did not have any of his family to consult with, and did not know his religious needs, I would cremate him and do the same as I would do for myself. If he is truly a friend, he would appreciate the gesture. ;)

I have told my wife and kids to put me in a nice warm sweatshirt, loose fitting jeans and some nice thick socks for the viewing. I won't need my glasses. Then have me cremated and dump my ashes into the creek on our property. That flows to the Kankakee, the Illinois, the Mississippi and the Gulf. Then I get a free world tour in all of the oceans. When it rains, have a nice thought about me and enjoy your life. I already enjoyed mine. The rest is gravy.:thumbsup:

/ Buried a good friend of mine today: #15  
I have told my wife I don't care where she plants me at and she should spend as little on it as possible on the other hand she has told me where hows and even how she wants to be dressed no matter how much it cost.

/ Buried a good friend of mine today: #16  
My condolences on your loss Dave! Yeah, 35 is pretty early to be thinking about this stuff. But the subject is very fitting and got me thinking which is difficult but good.
I grew up and graduated High School in the borough of Queens in New York City. But I have 40 plus years in Eastern Kansas. I believe this is where my life is and where I will be buried or cremated. The last 11 years on my own little 40 acres have been great. But this is not a family farm and there is no family plot so you do have me thinking. I am believing that ashes may be the best way to go. Although if I had my millions I would just pay off the place and start a family plot with funding to care for it. I read some very interesting stories in this thread. I like the way you think MossRoad. Dave, glad you posted the question and again; sorry for your loss.

/ Buried a good friend of mine today: #17  
If you believe the stories, and I do believe them, people have been dumping ashes of loved ones at Disney World. Of course Disney frowns at this activity. :D It might be illegal in FLA. :eek:

I have lived in quite a few places. None of them are "home" anymore since they are no longer in the family. The family has always been somewhat dispersed and today it is even more so. Houses I have lived in are no longer in the family and I am the only one in the family that has more than a small lot with a house.

I realized from a young age that there was no physical "home." Instead "home" was where you found it.

One of the strange "homes" I have is Disney World. :laughing: My mom and I went there right after it opened and we went back at least once or twice a year until I was in my late teens. Now we take our kids. Wandering around Magic Kingdom, even though some of it has changed, and some of it is about to really change, is like going back home. I can remember being there as a kid doing this and that. I cannot go back to our apartment in Atlanta or the house in FLA, LA or KY but I can go back to ride Space Mountain! :laughing:

I hope I live at least three or four more decades on our place. But I know life changes things and we might not be able to hold onto our land. Even if we do, will the kids keep the place? Life is going to take them here and there. They might not be able to afford to pay the taxes. Their life might take them elsewhere. It is almost certain to happen.

If they cremate me and toss me on the rocks to the south west of the house that is great. But will they be able to visit the rocks when they have kids or grand kids?

I really wish they could drop my ashes at Disney. :D They WILL visit Disney. Heck, Disney has taken a bunch of my money at least they could take my ashes. :laughing: As much land as Disney has in FLA they really need to have a place for ashes. Think how much money they can make! :D

Later,
Dan