Watch Ya self serve gas

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
This might seem like a fluke, But today I purchased gas at a local station which is a small chain componay who sells Gulf gas.Ive bought gas there before with no problems but a couple of times over the years I have caught them with the wrong price on the sign (on top of pump).And before the digital signs I also found that the street price and the pump price was different.
Also One statio has the grades from super to the regular with keys from right to left instead of the 'norm' of left to right.Caught myself once putting in super when I wanted regular.I always wondered if that was deliberate.
well today was a new adventure. I pumped as usual and clicked the regular button. And as I pumped I read the screen and it said puping super. I looked and the large button of grade was lit and it was regular.:confused2::confused2:
Again wonder .... I didt have the time to go inside as I had in the past . but in the past I never had much luck with the cashier to 'fix' it.
Anyways wondered if this was an ''odd' experience or not ..

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #2  
Either they are dishonest or they just can't figure out how to run the business. In any event, I would avoid them from now on.

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #3  
I have a friend that used to run an EXXON station, in those days the middle grade was the most popular with a few still needing premium. He told me that the station only had two tanks and that the middle and premium was the same.
Only the price on the pump was different.

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #4  
I have a friend that used to run an EXXON station, in those days the middle grade was the most popular with a few still needing premium. He told me that the station only had two tanks and that the middle and premium was the same.
Only the price on the pump was different.

It's true they only have two tanks, but the mid-grade is usually a blend of the two, done right at the pump. That's how they get the middle octane rating. All of that stuff, along with pump calibration, is heavily regulated by each state. Now, I'm sure a station could give away premium for a mid-grade price, but that wouldn't make sense financially...

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #5  
It's against federal laws, the station could get a huge fine. If there doing this what else are they "not" doing. Like cleaning out there water separation filters. There should be a transportation sticker on the pump with a phone number.

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #6  
We don't have buttons here in the UK.

There is a switch that detects what pump has been lifted and selects that mode.

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #7  
This might seem like a fluke, But today I purchased gas at a local station which is a small chain componay who sells Gulf gas.Ive bought gas there before with no problems but a couple of times over the years I have caught them with the wrong price on the sign (on top of pump).And before the digital signs I also found that the street price and the pump price was different.
Also One statio has the grades from super to the regular with keys from right to left instead of the 'norm' of left to right.Caught myself once putting in super when I wanted regular.I always wondered if that was deliberate.
well today was a new adventure. I pumped as usual and clicked the regular button. And as I pumped I read the screen and it said puping super. I looked and the large button of grade was lit and it was regular.:confused2::confused2:
Again wonder .... I didt have the time to go inside as I had in the past . but in the past I never had much luck with the cashier to 'fix' it.
Anyways wondered if this was an ''odd' experience or not ..

The only thing you said here that I've encountered is street sign price and the pump price being different. Never had any of that other stuff happen, so it would definitely be an "odd" experience for me.

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #8  
We don't have buttons here in the UK.

There is a switch that detects what pump has been lifted and selects that mode.

I'll keep punching the button with a smile on my face as long as I don't have to pay as much as you do for fuel in the UK.:D

I'm at that point in life that I have to remind myself to put diesel into my truck instead of the gasoline nozzle. One day, I kept punching the button several times and was ready to go see the attendant when I noticed I had put the gasoline nozzle into my truck and was punching the diesel button.:confused2: I quickly scanned to see that nobody had seen my dumb mistake and switched nozzles.:eek:

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #9  
There was a Dateline story on this a couple of years ago. Seemed "defrauding" fuel customers was pretty common in the N.East . The two biggest things where 1. selling a lower grade fuel as higher grade, and 2. Metering out less fuel than the pump read.

They rode around with the inspectors that had an exact 10gal hidden tank (New Jersey I think) since they said the modern technology allow some unscrupulous station owners to change it with a "switch" They said they where so short of inspectors nation wide that it was impossible to to check every station.

2 things that stuck out in the story to my wife and I was, the violators they did show didn't speak English well and the other was the inspection stickers on the pump where good "on the day" they where tested.

/ Watch Ya self serve gas #10  
This got me thinking. Does anyone else remember the old Sunoco pumps that allowed you to dial in about 8 different grades of gasoline by moving a selector on the pump? I assume they were just changing the blend from two tanks.