Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Veteran Member chopped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,839
    Location
    New England yankeee

    Default Watch Ya self serve gas

    This might seem like a fluke, But today I purchased gas at a local station which is a small chain componay who sells Gulf gas.Ive bought gas there before with no problems but a couple of times over the years I have caught them with the wrong price on the sign (on top of pump).And before the digital signs I also found that the street price and the pump price was different.
    Also One statio has the grades from super to the regular with keys from right to left instead of the 'norm' of left to right.Caught myself once putting in super when I wanted regular.I always wondered if that was deliberate.
    well today was a new adventure. I pumped as usual and clicked the regular button. And as I pumped I read the screen and it said puping super. I looked and the large button of grade was lit and it was regular.
    Again wonder .... I didt have the time to go inside as I had in the past . but in the past I never had much luck with the cashier to 'fix' it.
    Anyways wondered if this was an ''odd' experience or not ..

  2. #2
    Gold Member von-mil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    287
    Location
    East-Central Wisconsin
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSD

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    Either they are dishonest or they just can't figure out how to run the business. In any event, I would avoid them from now on.

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,856
    Location
    out
    Tractor
    kioti ck30

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    I have a friend that used to run an EXXON station, in those days the middle grade was the most popular with a few still needing premium. He told me that the station only had two tanks and that the middle and premium was the same.
    Only the price on the pump was different.

  4. #4
    Super Member s219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,541
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3200 Deere X380 Kubota RTV-X

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    Quote Originally Posted by lockhaven View Post
    I have a friend that used to run an EXXON station, in those days the middle grade was the most popular with a few still needing premium. He told me that the station only had two tanks and that the middle and premium was the same.
    Only the price on the pump was different.
    It's true they only have two tanks, but the mid-grade is usually a blend of the two, done right at the pump. That's how they get the middle octane rating. All of that stuff, along with pump calibration, is heavily regulated by each state. Now, I'm sure a station could give away premium for a mid-grade price, but that wouldn't make sense financially...

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    356
    Location
    Northern Washington
    Tractor
    John Deere 3005

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    It's against federal laws, the station could get a huge fine. If there doing this what else are they "not" doing. Like cleaning out there water separation filters. There should be a transportation sticker on the pump with a phone number.
    2011 John deere 3005, already waxed 5 times.


    I drives me boat ! My wife drives me dingy !

  6. #6
    Veteran Member jmurray01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,794
    Location
    Scotland
    Tractor
    I did have a pedal John Deere once...

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    We don't have buttons here in the UK.

    There is a switch that detects what pump has been lifted and selects that mode.
    "The darkest time is just one hour before dawn" - Johnny Cash.

  7. #7
    Epic Contributor Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    39,420
    Location
    Texas

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    Quote Originally Posted by chopped View Post
    This might seem like a fluke, But today I purchased gas at a local station which is a small chain componay who sells Gulf gas.Ive bought gas there before with no problems but a couple of times over the years I have caught them with the wrong price on the sign (on top of pump).And before the digital signs I also found that the street price and the pump price was different.
    Also One statio has the grades from super to the regular with keys from right to left instead of the 'norm' of left to right.Caught myself once putting in super when I wanted regular.I always wondered if that was deliberate.
    well today was a new adventure. I pumped as usual and clicked the regular button. And as I pumped I read the screen and it said puping super. I looked and the large button of grade was lit and it was regular.
    Again wonder .... I didt have the time to go inside as I had in the past . but in the past I never had much luck with the cashier to 'fix' it.
    Anyways wondered if this was an ''odd' experience or not ..
    The only thing you said here that I've encountered is street sign price and the pump price being different. Never had any of that other stuff happen, so it would definitely be an "odd" experience for me.
    Bird

  8. #8
    Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    jinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,014
    Location
    Texas - Wise County - Sunset
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
    We don't have buttons here in the UK.

    There is a switch that detects what pump has been lifted and selects that mode.
    I'll keep punching the button with a smile on my face as long as I don't have to pay as much as you do for fuel in the UK.

    I'm at that point in life that I have to remind myself to put diesel into my truck instead of the gasoline nozzle. One day, I kept punching the button several times and was ready to go see the attendant when I noticed I had put the gasoline nozzle into my truck and was punching the diesel button. I quickly scanned to see that nobody had seen my dumb mistake and switched nozzles.
    Jim


  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,484
    Location
    Wise county Texas
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    There was a Dateline story on this a couple of years ago. Seemed "defrauding" fuel customers was pretty common in the N.East . The two biggest things where 1. selling a lower grade fuel as higher grade, and 2. Metering out less fuel than the pump read.

    They rode around with the inspectors that had an exact 10gal hidden tank (New Jersey I think) since they said the modern technology allow some unscrupulous station owners to change it with a "switch" They said they where so short of inspectors nation wide that it was impossible to to check every station.

    2 things that stuck out in the story to my wife and I was, the violators they did show didn't speak English well and the other was the inspection stickers on the pump where good "on the day" they where tested.
    Dennis


    "Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

  10. #10
    Veteran Member KennyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,127
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

    Default Re: Watch Ya self serve gas

    This got me thinking. Does anyone else remember the old Sunoco pumps that allowed you to dial in about 8 different grades of gasoline by moving a selector on the pump? I assume they were just changing the blend from two tanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Natural Gas Generator Update !!
    By Rat Rod Mac in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
  2. So, You think you own your land...
    By JazzDad in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
  3. Diesel theft at the gas station
    By Keith01 in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 11:51 PM
  4. locking fuel caps for tractors?
    By accordionman in forum Attachments
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 05:10 PM
  5. Don't pump gas on May 15th. 2007
    By kubotabilly in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.