Good Experience with Best Buy

/ Good Experience with Best Buy #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
We have a thread titled Awful Experince at Best Buy so I thought I'd tell you about some of my recent expeience.

On April 13, 2008, we bought our first LCD HD TV from Best buy for $1,299.99 plus tax; a Samsung 40" model. (Yeah, I know; they've come down a bunch since then). It'll be 4 years old in April. And while I don't normally think extended warranties are a good investment, this time I bought their 4 year Protection Plan for $179.99. Two years ago, it got very slow to get started when you turned it on. It would do a lot of clicking on and off and eventually stay on. I called Best Buy and a very nice gentleman came on February 24, 2010, and replaced two capacitors that were soldered in, of course. He gave me a receipt showing what was done and what it cost ($162.38) so my Protection Plan almost paid for itself.

But later it got a small dark area on the screen; not much, but appeared to be something like a dim mountain you could sometimes see in the background in the upper right part of the screen. It wasn't bad enough for me to get too concerned about it. But then we got some more weird dark spots. A couple of places on the left side of the screen looked a bit like a couple of rain clouds with rain falling below them; each one maybe 6 across. So I called Best Buy again and the same guy showed up two days later (January 17, 2012) took one look, and said he'd have to order a new "LCD panel".

He scheduled to come back Thursday, but called this morning to say the part had arrived and he'd come this morning if that was alright with me. So this time, he really disassembled this TV, but no soldering; just lots of little screws. And when he finished, the receipt this time shows the cost would have been $438.94.

Sure glad I bought that Protection Plan this time. And it got my problem fixed promptly by a very pleasant fellow. Incidentallly, no one with Best Buy ever asked if I had a Protection Plan. They obviously had all they needed in their own records.

/ Good Experience with Best Buy #3  
Glad you got looked after, sometimes that is hard to come by.
I have purchased from Best Buy a few times and have been pleased with their products and service. :thumbsup: :)

/ Good Experience with Best Buy #5  
About 2 weeks ago I bought a 60" plasma LG from BB. Got it home and hooked up, watched a couple hockey and football games......and hate how dark it is. Went back to BB and asked if I could exchange it. No problem they said I have 30 days, no questions asked. I guess I can't complain about it to much

/ Good Experience with Best Buy #6  
Thats a good turn Bird. I have never had problems with BB really, they have shifted away from carrying much PC upgradeable's, so I don't shop for that much there. Only trouble we ever had was a high $$ coffee pot my son bought us, worked for a month and quit, they took it back no questions.

Bought our 52" Panasonic plasma there after about a month of "research":laughing: and it has been flawless for over a year.

/ Good Experience with Best Buy
Interesting program on CNBC tonight about Best Buy.

Best Buy: the Big Box Fights Back

News Headlines.

Kinda wish I'd watched that, but I didn't. The story in your link indicates that maybe Best Buy has too many big stores. I think the same thing applies to Sears, J.C. Penney, Home Depot, and several others. Maybe it's just because I live so close to Dallas and we have several of each of those within 10-15 miles.:)

/ Good Experience with Best Buy #8  
I recently used their service that lets you reserve the "sale paper laptop" online and then pick it up at the store. I found a store 45 minutes away that had one, payed for it with a Credit Card. The store verified that it was there by email, and we went and picked it up. I never bothered with sale paper items because they would be gone, but this worked smoothly.:thumbsup:

/ Good Experience with Best Buy #9  
I actually had a good experience with them, too. My dryer died and I needed a basic, new one fairly quick. I shopped the usual big box places and Best Buy had what I wanted for the best price. They delivered the new one and took away the old one for free. The only hitch was they wanted me to buy all new hardware to hook up the gas and venting. I just had them drop it off and I reinstalled the old gas line and aluminum vent line myself - 5 minute job.

/ Good Experience with Best Buy #10  
There's a lot of those Chinese capacitors in many things that eventually get replaced because nobody really knows how to repair things like this.

They are made in a defective way and still installed by a large number of electronics companies.