Are you too good at fixing things for your own good?

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #11  
Seems lots of what gets tossed or replaced is simply because it is no longer wanted...

more than a few times I said to someone I hope no one decides to toss you when you're old...

Been to a Nursing home lately? pretty sad sight

I have been on both sides of that fence as well. It aint broke till I say it's broke.

Larry, in my case it aint broke till I break it:D

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #12  
I do the same things as some of you. Collect and fix others garbage. We get many peoples cast offs because they know we can fix it. Our last two TV's have been free. The latest is a flatscreen that needed a little DVD player work. (my brother is great with all those little electronics I can hardly see). In fact the laptop I am on now was given to us because it didn't work and my bother had it going in a couple minutes. We are kind of known as the fix-it guys. I do the mechanical and metal stuff and my brother does more the electronic stuff. I'll never throw out anything unless it is completely useless for anything but garbage and I have already striped out of it everything I could use for anything at anytime in the future.

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #13  
This is so true! I messed up years ago giving my son tools every year for CHRISTMAS . And helping him / showing him how to fix things. He is 17 now and laffs at his freinds because they don't know how use a screw driver !! With his tool boxes of tools , he's always fixing things for freinds and making a quick dollar . If he doesn't have it he calls me and ask where mine is , and can he use it ? ? ONE MANS TRASH IS ANOTHER MANS TRESSURE ....

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #14  
I'm also very good at fixing things but I've learned to not advertise it because everyone and his brother was always wanting me to fix something for them, usually wanting it to be done for free. I've since put an end to that and only speak up and offer to help in rare cases.

Unfortunately, we now live in a disposable society but like they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure. Take buying new vehicles or tractors for example. Most of them greatly decrease in value the moment you drive them off the lot. Making matters worse that a new model design may not have been tested properly and has not withstood the test of time, making the likelyhood of having problems even greater.

Personally, I like to buy my vehicles after they are a couple of years old, thus saving a great deal of money and being more certain that most of the bugs have been worked out or if serious problems are reported with the design. In the case of tractors, my opinion is that nothing beats old iron for both strength and durability, if you can get parts and know how to work on them.

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #15  
I am a mechanic and fix a lot of cars now that I am retired, I got a Nissan pick-up it needed a clutch and timing chain, my labour and a grand in parts made me a few grand. I have customers that get things done for free labour, because I can.
I do all my own plumbing repairs, most of my electrical problems, I fix bicycles for the local kids for free. I get people bringing me things they do not want, because I gave them a good deal and when I repair it and sell it they do not want 1/2 the profit. I remember and they get it later in parts and service.
I let it be known I wanted some good wood, and If I haul it and help him split it I get half he pays half the fuel, works for me. He estimates 8 cord that is three trips about $50.00 my costs.
You guys are right about some people throw out a lot of good stuff, I have a welding rod fridge and beer fridge for free, and they were delivered.
I cleaned a guys battery posts and coated them with Die-electric grease for free, he brought me a trailer with a damaged stub axle, repaired it, new lights, and spent maybe $150.00. It is for sale at $800 has a metal floor.

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #16  
I do keep hoping our TV will break because it is a really old 19", would like a 32" LCD.

I have to admit we just bought a 42" LCD TV. I had been looking at the high definition TV's but our 15 year old 37" tube TV was still working.:( The wife called me a work and said the TV started making noises so she shut it down. When I got home from work I powered it on and it was whistling and poping and making all kinds of noises. I just turned it off and said, Yup, it's broke!:thumbsup::) Upgraded the dish to high def and it's so much better.

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good?
I got my Samurai for little money because it had a transmission and clutch issue...

Towed it home and for less then a $100 put the parts I needed... the "Big" transmission repair turned out to be a $12 bearing...

Been a fun little vehicle and great for bringing fuel to the Dozer...

Sometime I have to say no... just can't lug all the heavy stuff like I use to do...

At work, they wanted my to haul off 20 horizontal file cabinets... now data is going digital.

Didn't feel like getting the trailer and going to the scrap yard... got rid of all of them just by pushing one at the back door and someone asked if I was tossing it... I told him yes and there's 19 more... he looked as if he had hit the jackpot...

Know what you mean about being too handy and expecting to fix stuff for everyone... had to draw the line at work because it seemed just about everyone had a refrigerator/furnace/washing machine/dishwasher or something else needing attention...

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #18  
Same here - fix it up.. The 15 YO kitchenaid dishwasher was leaking, so ordered a new tub seal for $13, took it apart to find the porcelain tub had pin holes at the gasket/tub interface. So sanded it down, put on two coats of JB Weld and sanded that down and installed the gasket - that was a year ago and its still working fine.

Saw the neighbor laying down with his arms in his water service entrance, stopped to see what was wrong and he said the backflow preventer failed so he was removing it. This was Saturday - asked if he needed help - no, but plumbing stores are closed til Monday to get a new one. So, Monday comes he calls and asks if I have small pipe cutter, yep do have that. So went to help him and he couldnt find the exact fittings so was modifying the pipe length.

I took one look at the 2 yr old backflow preventer and said - lets take this apart as the seal had slipped due to a stone in it. Took it apart and put the rubber seal back in place, and reinstalled and it worked fine. He had spent 3 days w/o water and $80 in parts he didnt need.

So it goes..

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #19  
I make sure my neices...oldest is 10... always get a least one tool for the little tool boxes I gave them on their birthdays... and they are already on their way to making little repairs...

:laughing:
That is a great gift there. Those girls will be smarter than the boys their age.

/ Are you too good at fixing things for your own good? #20  
I'm also very good at fixing things but I've learned to not advertise it because everyone and his brother was always wanting me to fix something for them, usually wanting it to be done for free.

And they are always busy when you need some one just to lean against a shovel!:laughing:

I do not think I have had a vehicle in past 20 years I didn't have to pull motor or tranny to get it in shape to be driven! Even if I won the lottery I have a feeling I probably would not buy a brandnew vehicle.