Shop glasses

/ Shop glasses #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I'm 48 and my near vision has tanked. I keep reading glasses all over the house, in my car, in the bathroom, etc. Most folks over 40 know what I'm talking about. And yes, that's frustrating enough.

But what is killing me is doing mechanical/shop work. Any time I have to lean over, or look under something, my glasses slide up off my nose. Its driving me nuts and makes some fairly simple shop tasks very difficult.

Anyone know any tricks or tips for this? Are there prescription or magnifying (like reading glasses) shop glasses? Do they have a strap to hold them in place? Very interested how the rest of you deal with presbyopia in a shop setting.

/ Shop glasses #2  
I'm 48 and my near vision has tanked. I keep reading glasses all over the house, in my car, in the bathroom, etc. Most folks over 40 know what I'm talking about. And yes, that's frustrating enough.

But what is killing me is doing mechanical/shop work. Any time I have to lean over, or look under something, my glasses slide up off my nose. Its driving me nuts and makes some fairly simple shop tasks very difficult.

Anyone know any tricks or tips for this? Are there prescription or magnifying (like reading glasses) shop glasses? Do they have a strap to hold them in place? Very interested how the rest of you deal with presbyopia in a shop setting.

I have a similar problem with my near vision. Harbor Freight sells bifocal shop glasses which take a little getting used.

image_16121.jpg

2.0x Bifocal Safety Glasses

/ Shop glasses #3  
I buy reading glasses at the drug store. The ones that work best have the spring-loaded earpieces which keeps them from sliding when I look down. If they are a little weak, they can be bent to provide the tension needed.

Bruce

/ Shop glasses #4  
If it bugs you enough, you can get goggle type glasses.

Zenni Optical (on line) is an inexpensive place to get prescription glasses.

If you have plastic frames, be sure to heat them in hot water or with a hair dryer before you try to bend them to fit more tightly behind your ears. Otherwise, they may break.

/ Shop glasses #5  
I buy reading glasses at the dollar store. Though the glasses ain't a dollar. :eek::laughing:

I keep a pair in the barn, the truck, and at work. I WEAR a pair constantly. :eek: I bought a lanyard years ago and the glasses are on my face or hanging around my neck. I have not had a problem with them falling off my face when working on the truck or tractor. Maybe you can bend the nose and ear pieces to fit a bit snuggier. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Shop glasses
Thanks guys. I guess a better example of the problem I have is when you are looking bendning or kneeling down and looking up under something, like the underside of a truck....in essence upside down....and the glasses flip up off my nose. I think a pair of the Dewalts or Northern Tool ones would be good but I'd still need a lanyard or strap that could snug them down.

In all honesty, a pair of safety bifocal goggles would probably be the best thing.

Of course, what I really need is a lift to put my truck or car on so that I don't have to get upside down to see underneath!

/ Shop glasses
I think this is what I need:

safetyglassesusa_2196_163347434

/ Shop glasses #10  
I hang upside down in large industrial machinery that's why I use the DeWalts. They are a lot lighter and grip your head better than the dime store reading glasses or other safety glasses I tried.

For 11 bucks or so on Amazon or ebay worth a shot. I usually buy 3 pair or so at a time and get a discount and combined shipping. Just specify the power you need.