Time to Retire - sort of...

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I turned 65 in January and I've decided that it's time to retire. I turned in my papers for June 30, end of the fiscal year here at the school district.

But there is a caveat! I just couldn't quit, so I made a deal with the District to work as a consultant for 20 hours a week for the following year. Same basic pay (hourly equivalent).

I think it will be a nice way to arrive at full retirement having a full year of 4 day weekends!

I did some calculations and at the end of the year, I will have 44 years in construction, mostly in Management and will have built over 2,000 dwelling units and a total of a Billion dollars in projects (current value)! Three of those projects were over $100 million each.

Can't wait!

:dance1:

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #2  
Congrats on your almost retirement, may you live long and healthy.:eek:

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #3  
Congradulations! Ease into retirement by starting consult business is a great transition for everyone involved. You have your own business with its shelters and benefits and are working at independance not retirement (you never know what the future holds). Does this change medical for you now as well? More tractor time:thumbsup:.

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #4  
I turned 65 in January and I've decided that it's time to retire. I turned in my papers for June 30, end of the fiscal year here at the school district.

But there is a caveat! I just couldn't quit, so I made a deal with the District to work as a consultant for 20 hours a week for the following year. Same basic pay (hourly equivalent).

I think it will be a nice way to arrive at full retirement having a full year of 4 day weekends!

I did some calculations and at the end of the year, I will have 44 years in construction, mostly in Management and will have built over 2,000 dwelling units and a total of a Billion dollars in projects (current value)! Three of those projects were over $100 million each.

Can't wait!

:dance1:

Congratulations. You've certainly paid your dues. I'm glad you can get done while you're still able to do what you want. :thumbsup:
If you're like many retirees , you'll constantly wonder how you ever got anything done around the house while working a full week. :D

/ Time to Retire - sort of...
Congradulations! Ease into retirement by starting consult business is a great transition for everyone involved. You have your own business with its shelters and benefits and are working at independance not retirement (you never know what the future holds). Does this change medical for you now as well? More tractor time:thumbsup:.

The SWMBO is a retired Navy Captain (26 years), so Uncle Sugar takes care of us.

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #6  
:thumbsup: on the consulting. I retired in January from the School district and agreed to work 60 hours a month till June, then I'll see if I really want to continue. Since 95% of what I do is online, I shouldn't have to go into the office more than every 5-6 weeks. I didn't take a pension, opted for it to go into investment funds of my choice. I draw a full pension from the Military, so that covers my insurance (tricare) and monthly income. ENJOY!!!

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #7  
I retired first from a corporate job in 2000, did some consulting and writing, then sold one home and built another. But, in 2002, my wife "found" what really turned out to be a good job with the nearby city. I enjoyed that for seven years then retired again. Now I just do a bit of consulting, some magazine writing and a lot of volunteer work... And squeeze in some time for my farm and brand new JD3038E.

An awful lot of people I know who retired completely at almost any age to just sit on a couch or play a bit of golf died within a year or two. I believe we have to work at something, have a purpose, make a contribution... Or we just fade.

Congrats on your first retirement. May you have more.

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #8  
I retired first from a corporate job in 2000, did some consulting and writing, then sold one home and built another. But, in 2002, my wife "found" what really turned out to be a good job with the nearby city. I enjoyed that for seven years then retired again. Now I just do a bit of consulting, some magazine writing and a lot of volunteer work... And squeeze in some time for my farm and brand new JD3038E.

An awful lot of people I know who retired completely at almost any age to just sit on a couch or play a bit of golf died within a year or two. I believe we have to work at something, have a purpose, make a contribution... Or we just fade.

Congrats on your first retirement. May you have more.
I worked with people with upward of forty years on the job with pleny of OT to boot. That was all they knew. When they finally pulled the plug, they had no life outside of work and did not last long.

I wanted to wait until 65 but my job is eating me alive so this fall it is going to be bye bye to that. I have a lead on a part time job with medical benefits and want to do some flea marketing to get rid of too much "stuff". Maybe actually have some time to ride some of our horses instead of just cleaning after them.

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #9  
I worked with people with upward of forty years on the job with pleny of OT to boot. That was all they knew. When they finally pulled the plug, they had no life outside of work and did not last long.

I wanted to wait until 65 but my job is eating me alive so this fall it is going to be bye bye to that. I have a lead on a part time job with medical benefits and want to do some flea marketing to get rid of too much "stuff". Maybe actually have some time to ride some of our horses instead of just cleaning after them.

Best of luck. I left early too. Best decision I ever made. I loved the work but disliked changing, illogical management. They offered a small package, never thinking I'd fly the coop, and I jumped at it. Enough is enough. I'd rather have less for retirement than years of work in a situation you couldn't stand. I've enjoyed my post-retirement life. I happen to have a skill set that meant I could usually find work. I am most fortunate, and I know it.

You will not regret retiring to other work.

/ Time to Retire - sort of... #10  
I retired at 60 and four months later, my health went to h^^l; wish I had left sooner when I was first eligible.

I have way more than enough projects to keep me busy, but sadly some I can no longer do.

No one is guaranteed a certain number of good years; just a thought.