Admission to shows--RIPOFF

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Today's news has a front page story about the annual Home and Garden show near East Lansing, Michigan. It says they will have about 300 exhibitors there, who will share ideas on how to spruce up your yard or home. Seems like a good idea to attend, until you read the information about the admission charge:

$8 per adult, $4 for kids ages 6 thru 14. WHAT A RIPOFF.

It ticks me off big time when "shows" which are basically nothing but a form of advertising, expect the attendees to pay to admission. The businesses that are at the shows hope to attract customers in order to do business, so why are the potential customers expected to pay to attend? When you go to a car dealership, do they ask you to pay them $8 for the opportunity to buy a new car? When you go to a local builder to get an estimate for new windows, do they ask you to pay $10 for an estimate? NO TO BOTH.

Charging admission to shows like the one I mentioned in the opening paragraph is a RIPOFF, pure and simple. The exhibitors are simply cutting their own throats by expecting to make money off potential customers.

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF #2  
that is what happens, as soon as one type of show gets away with it they all jump on the band wagon. outdoor shows garden shows tractor shows all are doing it and as long as attendance is high the fees will only increase :mad:

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF #3  
I don't like paying the price either but I tend to chalk it up to a day of entertainment. $8-10 for the day is not a bad deal. I will pay that to attend a tractor or farm show but I won't normally pay that to attend a home show as most of the products you can see at Home Depot or Lowe's for free.

It's when they try to charge you for parking too that it really hurts.

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF #4  
It's the same thing in this area - about $4 to $10 for home and garden, fishing and outdoors, etc.

Even the gun shows which (in this small area) were either free or $1 or $2 are now in the $5 to $10 range, and I can't afford that just to go look around for an hour (because I'm pretty sure I'm not going to buy anything).

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF #5  
In the past I have been a vendor at those home shows. The booth fee can be 1000-10,000 depending on size and location. I think what you do not understand is that the building/property owner does this to pay his bills too. Those 150,000 sf buildings do not come cheap. It is just business.

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF #6  
In the past I have been a vendor at those home shows. The booth fee can be 1000-10,000 depending on size and location. I think what you do not understand is that the building/property owner does this to pay his bills too. Those 150,000 sf buildings do not come cheap. It is just business.

I was on the board for the "Builders Show" in our area for four years. We tried as hard as we could to keep the entry fee low and the parking free recognizing that the higher the fee the less customers we would have. That being said, it is an expensive project to rent a large facility, have two forklifts and drivers available to unload and load exhibits for setup and teardown, pay the staff that organize the show and pay to advertise the entire affair so people actually show up. We also charged booth fees to each exhibitor, but you have to keep those low enough to keep a good mix of businesses (including the small guys with the interesting new product / service) to make it interesting to the public. When people complained to me about the entry fee I asked them to think of the $4 entry fee as less than the gas it would cost to go to three of these businesses showrooms and talk to them.

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF #7  
When you go to a car dealership, do they ask you to pay them $8 for the opportunity to buy a new car? When you go to a local builder to get an estimate for new windows, do they ask you to pay $10 for an estimate?

If they knew they could get away with it, I have little doubt that they would try.

I think what you do not understand is that the building/property owner does this to pay his bills too.

The building/property owner isn't concerned about my bills, so why should I be concerned about his bills?

When people complained to me about the entry fee I asked them to think of the $4 entry fee as less than the gas it would cost to go to three of these businesses showrooms and talk to them.

I think of the entry fee as a deterrent for me to attend. As for the cost of gas, I save that by doing my research online or over the phone.

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF #8  
When you go to a car dealership, do they ask you to pay them $8 for the opportunity to buy a new car? When you go to a local builder to get an estimate for new windows, do they ask you to pay $10 for an estimate? NO TO BOTH.

Have you been to an auto show lately? I think your premise is faulty because these shows bring all the dealers together in one convenient place. The facility costs for many/most of these shows is huge and they have no guarantee that they will sell anything. Like the county fairs, admission is charged because of the number of "attractions" and to help weed out the homeless, bums, and looky-loos who would never be there to do anything but gaze and go after mooching the free stuff. As long as the vendors charge and attendence is high, there is no reason for them to do anything else. Technically, your choice is not to go and do your own looking at brick and mortar stores. Individual business locations never/seldom charge admission.

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF

THEY CAN WRITE OFF BOOTH FEES AS BUSINESS EXPENSES.

Locally, the majority of shows are held at a University Pavilion at a college campus or in downtown Lansing at a Civic Center. Parking at the Pavilion is free, downtown it is $5-$6. The building/property owners should simply bill the exhibitors for any and all expenses instead of charging admission. The parking fees should be more than enough revenue for anybody.

BTW, I don't consider attending these shows to be "entertainment" as 99% of the crap they have on display is stuff I don't need or want. $8 admission, $5 parking, $5 gasoline...waste of money, IMO. BIG WASTE.

/ Admission to shows--RIPOFF
Have you been to an auto show lately? I think your premise is faulty because these shows bring all the dealers together in one convenient place. The facility costs for many/most of these shows is huge and they have no guarantee that they will sell anything. Like the county fairs, admission is charged because of the number of "attractions" and to help weed out the homeless, bums, and looky-loos who would never be there to do anything but gaze and go after mooching the free stuff. As long as the vendors charge and attendence is high, there is no reason for them to do anything else. Technically, your choice is not to go and do your own looking at brick and mortar stores. Individual business locations never/seldom charge admission.

Have never been to a car show, waste of time and money. The local university hosts an "Agricultural Expo" every year. Many events, including the chance to drive compact tractors and ATV's, and tractor pulls. FREE PARKING, FREE ADMISSION, the exhibitors pick up the entire cost of everything and that is the correct way to do it. In all my years of attending I have NEVER seen any homeless or bums there.

BTW, what are you referring to: "go after mooching the free stuff....?" Brochures, handouts, yardsticks, pens and pencils, etc?