Retirement Anniversary

/ Retirement Anniversary #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Well I let my one year retirement anniversary slip past without noticing it. Just a little too busy. For those of you debating on retiring or not let me give you a rundown of this past week.

We were about twenty miles away from home Wednesday when we got a phone call that we had free tickets to the first round NCAA tourney game which our alma mater was playing in. This was four hours away in Louisville. Somebody couldn't go and we got the call at 5:00. Took off for home and was there at 5:25, packed and out the door at 5:48. Yes my wife packed in 23 minutes. Got hold of a friend on the way up and bummed a night at her house. Went to the game the next day and made the four hour drive home that afternoon.

Point I am trying to get across is that we both now have overnight bags packed and ready to go. All we do is throw some jeans and clean underwear in a suitcase and hit the road. Have done this several times, spur of the moment, and love it. We may have to skrimp and save next week but we don't let that stop us.

If you are financially able RETIRE. You have worked all your life, now enjoy what time remains for you.

Oh yeah, the friend in Louisville needs flooring put down so my wife and I have volunteered to go back in a month or so and help her pull up carpet and put down laminate flooring in her entire house. Got to finish two projects we are working on at our house, cut some trees at another house, put paneling in a garage for an aunt, till up a couple gardens for somebody else. Well you get the picture. We are retired but busy and enjoying life.

It is what you make of it.

RSKY

/ Retirement Anniversary #2  
Well I let my one year retirement anniversary slip past without noticing it.

If you are financially able RETIRE. You have worked all your life, now enjoy what time remains for you.

It is what you make of it.

RSKY

I have been retired a little over four years now; retired when I was sixty and I couldn't agree more. My wife retired about two years ago and life has never been better.

My younger brother turns sixty-two this year and I am hoping he will pull the plug as he has worked steady since before he graduated from high school; he sure deserves it if anyone does. Like most of us, he will not be kicking back and taking it easy, his days will still be full.

I would like to strangle all of those people who kept telling me, "oh you will be so bored; you will regret retiring; don't go..." Well I would, but I don't see them anymore, no use hanging out with crazy people.

/ Retirement Anniversary #3  
January 18 was 23 years since I retired.:laughing: But we never packed any overnight bags because we closed on the sale of our house three days after I retired and moved into a fifth-wheel travel trailer.:laughing: So we could be ready to go, home and all, in 10 minutes. Of course I did work a few part time or temporary jobs after retiring.:D

/ Retirement Anniversary #4  
One thing good about my business. We're only busy 6 months a year, so I'm fully retired for 6 months every year for the last 25.

I make enough in the first six months to retire for the last six months of every year.

The one good thing is at the end of the busy season I'm at my wits' end from stress and can't wait for it all to shut down. Then at the end of the retired six month I'm at my wits' end from boredom and can't wait for the season to start.

/ Retirement Anniversary #5  
What is Retirement? It seems that I stay just as busy as when I worked for a Company. The only difference is that I get to choose my schedule - more or less. There is definitely less stress. I will keep busy doing something until they bury me 6 feet under.

/ Retirement Anniversary #6  
What is Retirement? It seems that I stay just as busy as when I worked for a Company. The only difference is that I get to choose my schedule - more or less. There is definitely less stress. I will keep busy doing something until they bury me 6 feet under.

I've been retired for 18 months and I tell people it is my "natural state of being." I've never felt more comfortable in mind, body and spirit. I am busy, but on my own schedule and working at my own pace. I also love doing things that I know will be appreciated and valued by those around me.

/ Retirement Anniversary #7  
I had a pretty good boss before I retired. Now I've the hardest boss in the world. I'll be laying in bed and my mind tells me "get up, it'll be daylight soon".

I had planned on going hunting on my land in Mississippi. Nope, to much to do around the house.

Before I retired I would take about 1 non-working vacation every couple of years, don't see that happening.

Retirement to me just means I can do a project at my own pace without being suddenly told I'm going to someplace like Alaska for two weeks.

Well, gotta go, that boss in my head is telling me to clean the gutters.

/ Retirement Anniversary #8  

I think you should insist on being buried at least 8 feet under...you don't want critters digging you up....do you :laughing::D:confused2:

/ Retirement Anniversary #9  
Going on three years here.
My dad used to say, "The problem with retirement, is that you never get a day off".

I really know what he means. We have had several out-of-country excursions, camping, snowbirding, plenty of work around the house. Bought a great house on 20 acres that keeps me busy as the dickens.

I would agree with OP. If you have interests, you'll have more time. But still not enough time for everything.

Mornings with the wife are much more enjoyable than the old work days.
We can have coffee, watch the morning news, chat as we look out the window and plan the day.

/ Retirement Anniversary #10  
1 year 10 months before I can retire. I think about it every day. I can't go early since I would lose too many benefits. I just hate wasting time...life's too short.