Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM

Default Gun quest over!!

You know how you get the "I wants" that just about totally consume you?

I've had a bad case of them for one particular pistol for a long time. Well, the funding, the availability and the wifes blessing (the last one was the easiest) all lined up and I finally got one. I feel like a kid at christmas time.

I can't wait to take it to the range. I hope it's every bit as sweet shooting as I've always dreamed it would be.

Here's a photo. Anyone know what it is and what the significance is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cimg0646-jpg  
    I plan to screech to a sideways stop at heavens gate, jump out with a cigar in one hand, a scotch in the other, yelling "WOOHOO!! WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: Gun quest over!!

I really hope it lives up to your expectations...but don't get discouraged if it needs a break in period before 100% reliability.

I see it's an S&W...but what is this handgun's significance?
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE hst cab

it looks like a mineature version of my colt 1911 45acp
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    '65 110 JD, 445 JD, 4720CabJD

S&W 745? Single action?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Can't keep up with S&W since they started making a new model every week. Their semi-autos used to take up only half a page in the Shooter's Bible.

Bruce

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Isn't it a 10mm Smith?

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor

It's a S&W model 1076 10mm. I believe the timeframe of manufacture was the early 90's.

This was the gun that was developed after a disastrous FBI shootout in Florida, where a number of FBI officers were injured/killed even after the badguys had been hit with "supposedly" lethal hits from the FBI agents 9mm's. The FBI then commissioned a number of companies to develop a semi-automatic round and handgun with the firepower of a .357 magnum. The winner was the S&W 10mm with it's 10XX semi-auto handguns. There were a number of S&W semi-auto variants (hence the 10XX reference) including the 1006, 1026, 1076, 1086. The FBI finally decided on the 1076, a model that was SA/DA and had a frame mounted decocker (ala Sig Sauer controls). The FBI further dictated that their particular model of the 1076 NOT have a magazine disconnect. (allowing their version to still fire a round when the magazine is removed)

The gun I bought is a S&W 1076 NON-FBI model. It has the magazine disconnect intact (Lower value than a true FBI gun). Although it could be modified relatively easily.

The 10mm was the precurser to the .40 S&W. When the FBI had the 10mm developed, the original loads that were developed by Norma Ammunition were 200 grains and had a significant amount of recoil. This proved detrimental to those that were sensitive to recoil, so they developed some loads that were lighter. With the decreased powder charge, some bright engineer questioned why the case needed to be so big, so eventually the case was shortened, and alas, the .40 S&W. Most of us 10mm fans call this round the .40 Slow and Weak.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my finding for a standard S&W 1076 in beautiful condition. A gun I've long sought. Do a Google search, there's some pretty interesting info on the S&W's and 10mm's.
    I plan to screech to a sideways stop at heavens gate, jump out with a cigar in one hand, a scotch in the other, yelling "WOOHOO!! WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Tractor
    JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

Quote Originally Posted by gsganzer View Post
    . . .This was the gun that was developed after a disastrous FBI shootout in Florida, where a number of FBI officers were injured/killed even after the badguys had been hit with "supposedly" lethal hits from the FBI agents 9mm's. The FBI then commissioned a number of companies to develop a semi-automatic round and handgun with the firepower of a .357 magnum. . . .
    They already had a semi-auto with the firepower of a .357mag. It's called a .45acp!
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

Dont ever wrestle with a pig. Youll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot62 View Post
    They already had a semi-auto with the firepower of a .357mag. It's called a .45acp!
    hahaha, I love it!! The .45 is also called the fling ashtray. Because the hollowpoints are pretty intimidating with their wide cavity.

If you're a fan of a .45, check out the 10mm for true versatility. It knocks the heck out of wild hogs, with great penetration. The .45 is optimum for man-sized targets. The 10mm gets the nod on hogs and game IMO. No flies on either, though.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot62

You better review your ballistics. Even the 40s&w has the same energy as the 45 app. The diff is in the recoil. The 45 is a slow shove, the 40 s& w is snappy (more muzzle rise) the 10 mm was to much recoil for the FBI. Basically try controlled pairs with the 10, 40 & 45. Then tell me what you think.
    Mahindra 3016 HST
    Mahindra 115 Loader
    Rhino 160 rotary cutter
    Mahindra 5' box blade
    2 Bottom Dearborn Disc Turning Plow
    TSC Sub Soiler
    M-101 A2 Trailer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast