Gun quest over!!

/ Gun quest over!! #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
You know how you get the "I wants" that just about totally consume you?

I've had a bad case of them for one particular pistol for a long time. Well, the funding, the availability and the wifes blessing (the last one was the easiest) all lined up and I finally got one. I feel like a kid at christmas time.

I can't wait to take it to the range. I hope it's every bit as sweet shooting as I've always dreamed it would be.

Here's a photo. Anyone know what it is and what the significance is?

Attachments

• CIMG0646.JPG
    CIMG0646.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 404
   / Gun quest over!! #2  
I really hope it lives up to your expectations...but don't get discouraged if it needs a break in period before 100% reliability.

I see it's an S&W...but what is this handgun's significance?

/ Gun quest over!! #3  
it looks like a mineature version of my colt 1911 45acp

/ Gun quest over!! #4  
S&W 745? Single action?

/ Gun quest over!! #5  
Can't keep up with S&W since they started making a new model every week. Their semi-autos used to take up only half a page in the Shooter's Bible.

:D

Bruce

/ Gun quest over!! #6  
Isn't it a 10mm Smith?

James K0UA

/ Gun quest over!!
It's a S&W model 1076 10mm. I believe the timeframe of manufacture was the early 90's.

This was the gun that was developed after a disastrous FBI shootout in Florida, where a number of FBI officers were injured/killed even after the badguys had been hit with "supposedly" lethal hits from the FBI agents 9mm's. The FBI then commissioned a number of companies to develop a semi-automatic round and handgun with the firepower of a .357 magnum. The winner was the S&W 10mm with it's 10XX semi-auto handguns. There were a number of S&W semi-auto variants (hence the 10XX reference) including the 1006, 1026, 1076, 1086. The FBI finally decided on the 1076, a model that was SA/DA and had a frame mounted decocker (ala Sig Sauer controls). The FBI further dictated that their particular model of the 1076 NOT have a magazine disconnect. (allowing their version to still fire a round when the magazine is removed)

The gun I bought is a S&W 1076 NON-FBI model. It has the magazine disconnect intact (Lower value than a true FBI gun). Although it could be modified relatively easily.

The 10mm was the precurser to the .40 S&W. When the FBI had the 10mm developed, the original loads that were developed by Norma Ammunition were 200 grains and had a significant amount of recoil. This proved detrimental to those that were sensitive to recoil, so they developed some loads that were lighter. With the decreased powder charge, some bright engineer questioned why the case needed to be so big, so eventually the case was shortened, and alas, the .40 S&W. Most of us 10mm fans call this round the .40 Slow and Weak.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my finding for a standard S&W 1076 in beautiful condition. A gun I've long sought. Do a Google search, there's some pretty interesting info on the S&W's and 10mm's.

/ Gun quest over!! #8  
. . .This was the gun that was developed after a disastrous FBI shootout in Florida, where a number of FBI officers were injured/killed even after the badguys had been hit with "supposedly" lethal hits from the FBI agents 9mm's. The FBI then commissioned a number of companies to develop a semi-automatic round and handgun with the firepower of a .357 magnum. . . .

They already had a semi-auto with the firepower of a .357mag. It's called a .45acp! :thumbsup:

/ Gun quest over!!
They already had a semi-auto with the firepower of a .357mag. It's called a .45acp! :thumbsup:

hahaha, I love it!! The .45 is also called the fling ashtray. Because the hollowpoints are pretty intimidating with their wide cavity.

If you're a fan of a .45, check out the 10mm for true versatility. It knocks the heck out of wild hogs, with great penetration. The .45 is optimum for man-sized targets. The 10mm gets the nod on hogs and game IMO. No flies on either, though.

/ Gun quest over!! #10  
Bigfoot62 said:

You better review your ballistics. Even the 40s&w has the same energy as the 45 app. The diff is in the recoil. The 45 is a slow shove, the 40 s& w is snappy (more muzzle rise) the 10 mm was to much recoil for the FBI. Basically try controlled pairs with the 10, 40 & 45. Then tell me what you think.