Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: TSC Job Smart air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    On the subject of what will run what -
    I've a Makita 2400, 4.2CFM@90PSI.
    I've some equipment I'd like to sandblast and spray paint. Everybody I've talked to tells me that it won't work.
    All I want to do is blast a little, sip a beverage, blast a little, repeat. I'm not trying to do an 8 hour hard working job. Right now I've only a few things that need rust spots touched up on.

What would the TBN community advise for tools? Would something cheap from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools work?
    If you're not in any hurry and are going to work as you said . . . well, over 40 years ago, my Dad bought an old Chevrolet telephone company line truck (half ton pickup with utility bed; lots of tool drawers and doors). The truck had been sitting in a pasture for a few years. But the running gear was in pretty good shape for an old clunker. So I took it to my house and worked on it in the evenings after work and on the weekends, sandblasting the rust off with a one quart cannister sandblaster and I believe it was a 20 gallon air-compressor. Slow? You bet, but you can sure do it. When we got the rust cleaned out with the sandblaster, I used sandpaper on the exterior, painted the inside of the drawers and tool doors with rattle cans, then a friend with a paint & body shop painted the exterior. So for several years thereafter, my Dad had the biggest self-propelled, portable fishing tackle box on the Texas coast.
    Bird

On the other hand, if you try to do too much too fast. About 1995, my brother left an old rusty 5' x 10' utility trailer at my place. At that time I had a new 30 gallon oilless Craftsman air-compressor and a 100 pound sandblast rig. I ran that compressor long enough that it got hot enougn to break the reed valves. After rebuilding the compressor, I did eventually sandblast most of the rust off that old trailer, spray painted it with a one-quart paint gun, and sold the trailer. And I learned not to buy oilless compressors unless you only intend to run them for a very few minutes at a time.
    Bird

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

There is a list on this page http://www2.northerntool.com/air-com...yers-guide.htm that list CFM'S for different tools..I know that some brands require more CFM'S than others. It really depends on the tool maker. I think some of the cheaper brands will require less CFM'S but, usually have less power
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Veteran Member
    Cherry Valley, New York (near Cooperstown, NY)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1986 Ford 5610 with loader

In case anyone is interested, TSC has this compressor on sale this week for $179.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    On the subject of what will run what -
    I've a Makita 2400, 4.2CFM@90PSI.
    I've some equipment I'd like to sandblast and spray paint. Everybody I've talked to tells me that it won't work.
    All I want to do is blast a little, sip a beverage, blast a little, repeat. I'm not trying to do an 8 hour hard working job. Right now I've only a few things that need rust spots touched up on.

What would the TBN community advise for tools? Would something cheap from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools work?
    When sandblasting, CFM is the most important part of the equation, not so much tank size and total PSI, although higher is usually equivalent to more CFM's. I also agree with Bird on oil-less compressors for blasting, I have killed a couple over the years. Most blasting pots or siphon fed will have a minimum CFM rating for their product, so if you buy one with good blasting CFM's it should run most any pneumatic tool.

Quote Originally Posted by RichZ View Post
    In case anyone is interested, TSC has this compressor on sale this week for $179.
    On sale here for $179, but I did see another post where a guy got one for $159 on sale.
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Kubota L4630

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40

Quote Originally Posted by hayabura View Post
    Murph ------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12