TSC Job Smart air compressor

/ TSC Job Smart air compressor #11  
On the subject of what will run what -
I've a Makita 2400, 4.2CFM@90PSI.
I've some equipment I'd like to sandblast and spray paint. Everybody I've talked to tells me that it won't work.
All I want to do is blast a little, sip a beverage, blast a little, repeat. I'm not trying to do an 8 hour hard working job. Right now I've only a few things that need rust spots touched up on.

What would the TBN community advise for tools? Would something cheap from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools work?

If you're not in any hurry and are going to work as you said . . . well, over 40 years ago, my Dad bought an old Chevrolet telephone company line truck (half ton pickup with utility bed; lots of tool drawers and doors). The truck had been sitting in a pasture for a few years. But the running gear was in pretty good shape for an old clunker. So I took it to my house and worked on it in the evenings after work and on the weekends, sandblasting the rust off with a one quart cannister sandblaster and I believe it was a 20 gallon air-compressor. Slow? You bet, but you can sure do it. When we got the rust cleaned out with the sandblaster, I used sandpaper on the exterior, painted the inside of the drawers and tool doors with rattle cans, then a friend with a paint & body shop painted the exterior. So for several years thereafter, my Dad had the biggest self-propelled, portable fishing tackle box on the Texas coast.:laughing:

/ TSC Job Smart air compressor #12  
On the other hand, if you try to do too much too fast. About 1995, my brother left an old rusty 5' x 10' utility trailer at my place. At that time I had a new 30 gallon oilless Craftsman air-compressor and a 100 pound sandblast rig. I ran that compressor long enough that it got hot enougn to break the reed valves. After rebuilding the compressor, I did eventually sandblast most of the rust off that old trailer, spray painted it with a one-quart paint gun, and sold the trailer.:laughing: And I learned not to buy oilless compressors unless you only intend to run them for a very few minutes at a time.:laughing:

/ TSC Job Smart air compressor #13  
There is a list on this page http://www2.northerntool.com/air-compressor-buyers-guide.htm that list CFM'S for different tools..I know that some brands require more CFM'S than others. It really depends on the tool maker. I think some of the cheaper brands will require less CFM'S but, usually have less power

/ TSC Job Smart air compressor #15  
On the subject of what will run what -
I've a Makita 2400, 4.2CFM@90PSI.
I've some equipment I'd like to sandblast and spray paint. Everybody I've talked to tells me that it won't work.
All I want to do is blast a little, sip a beverage, blast a little, repeat. I'm not trying to do an 8 hour hard working job. Right now I've only a few things that need rust spots touched up on.

What would the TBN community advise for tools? Would something cheap from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools work?

When sandblasting, CFM is the most important part of the equation, not so much tank size and total PSI, although higher is usually equivalent to more CFM's. I also agree with Bird on oil-less compressors for blasting, I have killed a couple over the years. Most blasting pots or siphon fed will have a minimum CFM rating for their product, so if you buy one with good blasting CFM's it should run most any pneumatic tool.

In case anyone is interested, TSC has this compressor on sale this week for $179.

On sale here for $179, but I did see another post where a guy got one for $159 on sale.